Pop-Up Camper - Custom Build (scratch built) Oasis-Si

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Been a spell since I did anything on my camper. Life got in the way of living... and projects. I decided a change was needed and the stress and time spent on my job was enough to make me decide to call it quits. I left my last IT manager position, and took on a new one where (I am told by a friend who is also an IT manager there) that the work/life balance is significantly better. The pay and vacation was also a lot better so a change it was.

Hopefully will be sleeping in this thing before the end of camping season this year. Maybe. Or next spring. Lol

#soon #betterlatethannever #someday

VanIsle_Greg

How is that new job. Hopefully you have been able to get out in the camper.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
New job is good. Way smaller shop, with a lot more friendly environment. Last place was pretty toxic...

Camper has ultimately completely stalled at the 95% complete phase. It seems that every time I take 2 steps FWD I go 3 steps back. I spent a summer rebuilding the roof and completely re-doing the stuff that had failed. Once I was complete that piece, I noticed a bubble in the fiberglass.... It was delaminating in one spot. No rot (shouldn't be since it has spent almost 100% of its life under cover. Killed the majority of my momentum and mojo.

I ordered some roofing sealer stuff for RV's and fixed the bubble with epoxy. The sad reality of it is I should have cut the roof up into chunks and taken it to the dump and started fresh... I still might actually. heh

Might be done by the time I retire.

VanIsle_Greg

Thinking more about scrapping the roof and starting over. A lot lately. Sadly it is like tossing away $1500 worth of materials and like 50 hours of my time but... meh.

Might just get it done as is and hit a couple Overland events and sell it.

Looking at a Total Composites truck camper. I know the owner well and they are local... good fit on many levels.

ITTOG

Any pictures of the issues? I know you repaired some issues previously. Is this the same issues or new ones? Good luck figuring out the best direction.

VanIsle_Greg

Any pictures of the issues? I know you repaired some issues previously. Is this the same issues or new ones? Good luck figuring out the best direction.
Good question? I do not think I took a pic of the bubble... too late now, as I fixed it already. Picture a pretty standard (although gut wrenching) fiberglass bubble. heh I checked, no damage to the wood substrate, so that is good. The rest of the roof looks fine, its just a nut-punch to see that when you are putting the final touches on a 4 month repair that included a complete restructure of the entire roof. I was applying the sealant to the corners and saw it... ugh.

I will install the roof coating as soon as it is warm enough, maybe in the next week or so as it seems to be nice sand warm lately. This will mean ripping off all the solar system from the roof, but that is a simple job. I am feeling more motivated now... I hear those Overland events and camping weekends calling me! heh

VanIsle_Greg

Any new pictures of your build?
None lately... its been another weird year, family stuff. My Dad passed away just this past month after being sick on and off for 2 months. Cancer battle, then right into lockdown shortly thereafter. Unfortunately passed in May from of all things, Covid complications. So... pretty much the past 7 or 8 months has been me looking after dad and my family (active kids).

I have literally been at the 90% completed stage for 2.5 years, and have no motivation to complete it. Every free moment I get is doing something else for someone else (or work).

Anyhow, I am planning on finishing it ASAP, so should have it out, cleaned, fully repaired and GTG in a matter of a month ish. Was planning on attending NWOR and BCOR this year, but this stuff killed that progress.

Dad at the 2017 BCOR where my son, he and I went with some friends and had a great time.

20170624_080246.jpg

Also Dad and I at the 2015 NWOR at the BC Ferries terminal starting the trip.

20150625_064153.jpg

Onwards and upwards, and new pics soon!

Last edited:

Mules

None lately... its been another weird year, family stuff. My Dad passed away just this past month after being sick on and off for 2 months. Cancer battle, then right into lockdown shortly thereafter. Unfortunately passed in May from of all things, Covid complications. So... pretty much the past 7 or 8 months has been me looking after dad and my family (active kids).

I have literally been at the 90% completed stage for 2.5 years, and have no motivation to complete it. Every free moment I get is doing something else for someone else (or work).

Anyhow, I am planning on finishing it ASAP, so should have it out, cleaned, fully repaired and GTG in a matter of a month ish. Was planning on attending NWOR and BCOR this year, but this stuff killed that progress.

Dad at the 2017 BCOR where my son, he and I went with some friends and had a great time.

View attachment 782359

View attachment 782357

Sorry about your father. I'm glad you got to share your passion with him.

I lost my father and brother to cancer and I just spent the last 1 1/2 years taking care of my wife as she battled cancer. We couldn't go anywhere, so I built the camper on the weekends in my basement. She's fully recovered now, thank God.

Life is sweet and always too short. Live, love, and enjoy what time we have on this earth.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites

View attachment 782359

View attachment 782357

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

VanIsle_Greg

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Thanks a lot Andreas.

Sorry about your father. I'm glad you got to share your passion with him.

I lost my father and brother to cancer and I just spent the last 1 1/2 years taking care of my wife as she battled cancer. We couldn't go anywhere, so I built the camper on the weekends in my basement. She's fully recovered now, thank God.

Life is sweet and always too short. Live, love, and enjoy what time we have on this earth.

I am sorry for your losses as well, cancer is one heck of a thing. I am glad your Wife is doing better, scary stuff indeed.

Thanks for your thoughts too, I have been pretty quiet about it so far, only a couple of friends and my team at work are aware. Tough times.

ITTOG

Sorry to hear about your loss and glad you were able to enjoy overlanding events together.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

After many months off again... again... I started working on the camper again a couple of weeks ago. The frustration with the roof, losing my Dad, life... all needed time to deal with. Now, new energy and motivation to get this thing going.

I took apart the roof, meaning I ground down the bubble, I removed all the solar panels and the cables etc and inspected the rest for failures. Nothing. Interestingly it seems that the luan came apart, no water damage so it looks like the glue failed in between the layers. Ooof.

Roof stripped (again)... dirty from dust and birds getting in the shed (I keep it open for airflow).

20230812_144042.jpg

Here you can see the seam where the luan lifted the top layer. Might be from water, but if it was it sure didn't look like it.

20230812_170118.jpg

Cut a couple of layers of glass (cloth) and mixed up some polyester resin. Loaded up the cloth to fill all the fibers and it turned out great.

20230813_133912.jpg

Glassed.

20230813_135539.jpg

I sanded the entire roof and washed it 2 x to get it super clean. I then primed it with 2 coats of primer, 2 more over the glass... and then 3 coats of rubber roof coating for RV's. It is highly recommended and is flexible so with the right primer you can even put it over EPDM roofs. The edge of the roof is Eternabond, which I must say is an amazing product. That stuff sticks to everything and is nearly impossible to get off. Ask me how I know. lol

20230825_174307.jpg

Roof now has all the solar re-mounted and the cables re-attached to the controller. Going to ditch the Renogy MPPT for a Victron unit. Picked one up NIB from FB Marketplace... I like the Renogy stuff, but the Victron is 1/4 the size and the BT is much better with a much better interface. Pics pending...

Fabric might go on tomorrow.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

Forum seems to be having a moment. Pics are not working properly...so should you be interested, click on the links I guess?

I also re-painted all the underside of the sides of the camper and 3rd coated the trim around the top of the tub to get as much protection on there as I can before I put the fabric on.

Tub repainted with 1 component water based epoxy.

20230826_191048.jpg

Fresh...

20230826_191257.jpg

Under the bed too.

20230826_191304.jpg

I took off the jacks and re-painted the steel brackets and cleaned them up. They were looking a bit worse for wear and needed a refresh. I also cleaned up the jacks too. They were used, and although they were fully re-built, they were not re-painted.

20230826_120236.jpg

20230826_124559.jpg

A while back I re-did the plumbing a bit and cleaned it up a tad. That wiring is for the backup camera I installed above the rear door.

20230826_190905.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94