Pop-tops: are they worth it?

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Thanks for those pics petrolburner, that's a great visual to see how you set it up. Since we've got mountain bikes in the back of our van most of the time, the living space (and setup options) is really limited.

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
I'm in the VW camp so take that however you will :)

We have had multiple Vanagons -- pop tops and normal tin tops. I don't live in the van but like to camp a lot and mo e from place to place. We rarely camp in the same spot for more than a night or two.

As mentioned before the biggest benefits are the ability to have a separate sleeping space that sets up and takes down super-fast. We can do it in about 10sec up and maybe 30 down without going outside. Another benefit is day storage while in camp -- all the crap that accumulates downstairs (sleeping bags, duffles can be tossed out of the way.

Negatives? Purchase cost -- a pop top vannie will run 2x or more than a tin top. Keeping mild at bay is a matter of regular cleaning.

Right now we have 4 (!?!) vanagons: two pops being restored and two Carat tin tops -- guess which ones will get sold first.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Really good info. Would a fantastic fan be a good addition to a pop top, or would it be redundant with the screen doors open? I have a little dog that will be left in the van for a few hours at a time and I want a way to vent the heat. (I'll obviously not leave home in hot locations).

Adding a powered vent to any van is a great upgrade. Even in cold weather being able to vent moist air can dramatically reduce condensation. In hot weather I consider a vent a necessity. The Maxxfan brand can be left open in rain or snow, and is generally an awesome product.

I'd love to see some sleeping setups that those of you with hightops have.

Sleeping up top does work with hightop/highroof vans. But a common use of the high top space is simply for permanent storage. Keep all your gear up there, and your bed down low uncluttered.

My wife and I spent almost 2 years touring North and Central America in a pop-top vanagon. Not perfectly comparable to your rig, but there are some similarities.

We kept our gear as minimal as reasonable, but we still ended up having stuff on our lower bed. For quick naps, we would use the upper bed. Except in warm weather we usually slept on the lower bed. It was quieter, and provided a bit more privacy than the tent walls.

The ability to stand up for dressing, cooking etc was invaluable. Whenever we needed to unpack gear we could use the space up top. There was no tripping over each other and the stuff.

By far the biggest advantage was the ability to setup/pack up camp in minutes. No messing with a tent, in reasonable weather we could cook inside with the top up.

Leveling the van is fairly simple once you get some experience. Carrying a light jack works. Leveling blocks, either home made, or plastic stacking type can make it a breeze. After a while you get a feel for finding level spots.

7k$ is a bit steep. In my opinion that's in the luxury zone for upgrades. If you can swing the bill, I would go for it. It makes van camping so much more pleasant.

I won't discuss high tops as you have indicated they are not an option. They have some advantages but are not for everyone. I lean more towards the hightop/highroof camp myself.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Here's a video all loaded up in Baja that might give you a better idea.

[video]https://youtu.be/dmn7avunv_A[/video]

Nice video. Before watching it, I would not have considered anything but a pop-top. Now I can see the appeal. The front shelf seems like it is very handy.

zuren

Adventurer
This thread is very timely as I have had, and continue to have, the same questions. For me, my van appraises at $4000-5000 so it is hard for me to justify investing in a "nice to have" feature that is nearly double its current value. I've never done the research or asked the question but I doubt that an $8000 top on an $4000 van equals a $12000 campervan if I were to post it for sale, or am I wrong about that?

If I were buying a $70k+ vehicle, it would definitely have some type of pop-top but that just isn't a reality right now.

I asked about roof top tents over in the RTT forum. Thank you for posting your feedback/experience. Maybe leaving my van as-is, start carry my 6-man tent for extra space, and invest in cots, etc. for the tent is the cheaper path forward.

Thanks for posting!

rockbender

Adventurer
...For me, my van appraises at $4000-5000 so it is hard for me to justify investing in a "nice to have" feature that is nearly double its current value..... I've never done the research or asked the question but I doubt that an $8000 top on an $4000 van equals a $12000 campervan if I were to post it for sale, or am I wrong about that?

I asked about roof top tents over in the RTT forum...
Thanks for posting!
Come on, I think anyone here would buy your van for $12k if it had a poptop!

I'll reiterate that we LOVE our poptop (CCV top on AWD Express). I think a fixed top would be sweet too, but for us it would not fit in the garage thus becomes a deal breaker. We also use our van as a daily, so keeping a lower profile is nice in general. Anyone thinking about doing the RTT option I think would be well served by looking into an awning with a tent room. We add a screened room to our awning and it really expands our space while camping.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Not sure it pertains to your plans exactly but, height was mentioned in town, however when off road the lower profile of a pop top can be required. We've been on several trail/roads where a high top would not have fit with out some clearing of fallen trees, large branches etc.
It could be a consideration if your weekend getaways take you off the beaten path to access bike trails, hiking trails or just exploring.

We've been running our high top for close to 2 years now. Got it new, shipped to CO from CA, installed it myself for $2700. I've found it to be the single best thing we've done to the van. All time usability and we seldom have troubles on clearing the top (with boxes, boards and solar panels on top) knocking around fire roads in the southwest. The departure angle and break over angles are our biggest limiting factors.

Search "GnaRV" on the site for pics.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Great feedback. I really like ccv ' s design and quality, but man their customer service is seriously lacking. I've been trying to get a price and time quote on a pop top from them for the past 2 months. I've emailed 3 different people and called and left voicemails. Zero response. I have better luck talking to a friend who recently visited. Too bad really... I get that they're busy and they make a great product, but it's hard to decide if I want one if I'm not sure if it'll cost $6k or 10k.

I have the same questions about how much value it adds to your rig.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
As a reference, I called Sportsmobile West this week regarding an installed pop top. The model in question was an electric lift option for an extended body Ford Econoline. The installed out the door price was $8811.00 and the soonest available date was in August.

SMB did say that the electric version will lift 200 lbs., while the manual version is rated for about 100 lbs.

Last edited:

tequilasunset

Adventurer
Great feedback. I really like ccv ' s design and quality, but man their customer service is seriously lacking. I've been trying to get a price and time quote on a pop top from them for the past 2 months. I've emailed 3 different people and called and left voicemails. Zero response. I have better luck talking to a friend who recently visited. Too bad really... I get that they're busy and they make a great product, but it's hard to decide if I want one if I'm not sure if it'll cost $6k or 10k.

I have the same questions about how much value it adds to your rig.

Matt is my point person...
matt@coloradcampervan.com
Matt Dunkerly
(970) 699-6000
Colorado Camper Van LLC

I am going in June to get a top for my Safari, 1.5 weeks install time for the top without any additional work. Drive up fly back, fly back drive home... with lots of camping coming and going :)

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Steve - If you can wait, just wait...see if something else comes on the market. I pulled my deposit for a CCV pop-top for a number of reasons...the most relevant for this thread was that I was worried customer service would be bad in the future and I was concerned about how much weight it could lift. I want to have a Yakima box up there in the winter with skis for 4, solar panels, and snow...I just don't feel comfortable with the CCV design because a hard number couldn't be determined and the lowest was 100 pounds - that's what panels and a box all by itself weigh!

I really do want one too - it will be a luxury for sure, but we'll be able to swing it and I'm just waiting to see if a better design comes along. For now I'm going to try to cram sleeping for 3 inside or possibly get an OZ tent or something similar.

tequilasunset

Adventurer
Steve - If you can wait, just wait...see if something else comes on the market. I pulled my deposit for a CCV pop-top for a number of reasons...the most relevant for this thread was that I was worried customer service would be bad in the future and I was concerned about how much weight it could lift. I want to have a Yakima box up there in the winter with skis for 4, solar panels, and snow...I just don't feel comfortable with the CCV design because a hard number couldn't be determined and the lowest was 100 pounds - that's what panels and a box all by itself weigh!

I really do want one too - it will be a luxury for sure, but we'll be able to swing it and I'm just waiting to see if a better design comes along. For now I'm going to try to cram sleeping for 3 inside or possibly get an OZ tent or something similar.

Others on here and elsewhere have mentioned they have far more than that on top... real life... just saying. I will have solar panels eventually and possibly a cargo rack like another person who posted on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz