Pop-tops: are they worth it?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I wouldn't let anyone with no credible vanning experience sway you. Get out there and try some out on your own before drinking that koolaid. Take under consideration how important standing room seems to be when in fact there's less than a 3rd of Aunt Ida's camper length dedicated to it.
chassis307.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I wouldn't let anyone with no credible vanning experience sway you. Get out there and try some out on your own before drinking that koolaid. Take under consideration how important standing room seems to be when in fact there's less than a 3rd of Aunt Ida's camper length dedicated to it.
chassis307.jpg

What are you talking about?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Oh and don't be swayed by someone in bespoke camper business, like Aunt Ida. Bet if that business was poptops instead of truck-campers the lyrics would be changed but it'd be the same old song and dance.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Oh and don't be swayed by someone in bespoke camper business, like Aunt Ida. Bet if that business was poptops instead of truck-campers the lyrics would be changed but it'd be the same old song and dance.

Are you off your meds?

So tell me, how many months have you spent in your van thus far, since you refer to "credible experience"

:coffee:

fjrohrs

Adventurer
My wife and I are a big fan of your story and follow you on Youtube. We have been researching vans and the like for our family of four + dog (2 - 6 month olds) and you've provided plenty of ideas to consider.

In hindsight with how you've outfitted, use, and money invested in the van, do you think it would have been better to start with a pre-built van, for instance a Sportsmobile? I ask because looking to add another $7-10K to the bottom line after a conversion may put you closer to that price range or could have solved some of the dilemmas you are currently debating.

Either way, if you can justify the expense and want the functionality, a pop-top or hard-top add a lot of versatility to an already great setup.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'm 6'3" and can stand upright in my van.
So what's your point?

Every van is different, per the post I quoted with my post.

here, let me quote it again

It also depends on the vehicle too.

In my case the hightop options for a Safari kinda blow... the 16" I still cannot stand upright, the 24" is FUGLY!

The point also stands (no pun intended) :sombrero: with regards to the many "stealth" camping references in this thread and pop tops.

There are also many methods based upon construction to raise the tops. Some electric, some manual.

And also a question for you assuming you have a pop-top, how does it pop up, do you have to crawl into the rig to raise it?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
my last comment in this thread because it's gone a litte off course. For the price of $7k to $10k for a roof...
I bought my current 7.3 EB fixed hightop with 108k miles for less than it costs to put a roof on.
So in the end do I think a min price of $7k is worth it, heck no. But if I had an unlimited amount of $ I would do it because of the cool factor.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
My wife and I are a big fan of your story and follow you on Youtube. We have been researching vans and the like for our family of four + dog (2 - 6 month olds) and you've provided plenty of ideas to consider.

In hindsight with how you've outfitted, use, and money invested in the van, do you think it would have been better to start with a pre-built van, for instance a Sportsmobile? I ask because looking to add another $7-10K to the bottom line after a conversion may put you closer to that price range or could have solved some of the dilemmas you are currently debating.

Either way, if you can justify the expense and want the functionality, a pop-top or hard-top add a lot of versatility to an already great setup.

Hey, thanks for watching and following along. We have about $25-30k into the van right now. A 7.3L sportsmobile with 130k on the clock is going to run closer to $50-70k (in my estimations). I'm also really happy with our suspension, which I feel is better than a SMB.

But if you find a SMB for a great price, go for it. We don't want sinks and microwaves in our van, so we'd rather have something that isn't built out already. In the end, I may be the same money for a SMB, but I doubt it, and it'll be exactly like I want it.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I think the 4-5 month lead time makes it easier to hold on to my cash. If it were $4-5k for a pop top, I'd go for it. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend more than $6k right now. Thanks for all the feedback everyone, this has been a great discussion.

Do I still want one? Of course. Will i get one? I'm most likely going to hold off right now, it doesn't seem like a wise financial decision at the moment.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Not sure it pertains to your plans exactly but, height was mentioned in town, however when off road the lower profile of a pop top can be required. We've been on several trail/roads where a high top would not have fit with out some clearing of fallen trees, large branches etc.
It could be a consideration if your weekend getaways take you off the beaten path to access bike trails, hiking trails or just exploring.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I wouldn't be able to fit two full size dirtbikes plus a sleeping loft, kayak paddles, full size broom and shovel in my van without the high top. I live out West and in the high desert and take trips to Baja. I haven't had to move a limb with a saw or a strap yet. The high top is much narrower up top than a box truck although it rarely makes the difference. I only paid $8500 for my wheelchair van with the high top and tall rear doors. A pop top van would not meet my needs.

12311248_10101065065617473_910580794218156666_n.jpg

12107783_10101041010264593_1466518490017833278_n.jpg

The loft is built around a standard camping pad and tips up out of the way or is completely removed easily.

10888446_10101040510585953_6585234749768375191_n.jpg

Kayak paddle and broom storage. The shovel is on the other side, attached in the same manor.

12651072_10101114935408013_5283561787596260008_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles