Pop-tops: are they worth it?

b. rock

@vintageracer I landed on the same conclusion and have been hunting used box vans for a bit. The 10' variety is hard to come by with the V10 in the Ford variety, but the Chevys with the 6.0 are a little more common, although the 6 speed behind the 4.8 really helps in comparison to the 5.4 with the 4 or 5 speed (cab/chassis actually got the 5r110 with the 5.4 which is a nice touch). There's not a significant cost premium vs a cargo van in the used market, and you save the cost of adding a high top. Power windows and no cruise seems to be a common theme however.

Any concerns on the wood paneling of the box panel sides aging or being subjected to off road abuse? I had briefly looked into a cab/chassis and doing a rigid foam box until I saw the price (although if I had a year to do it, DIY is more reasonable).

I'd suspect you loose a little mpg vs a high top, and maybe a little clearance on the sides...but how hard are you going to wheel something that has a kitchen and a pooper in it?

Len.Barron

Observer
be careful with how they are registered, many are difficult to get switched from commercial to RV or passenger and depending on your state both your registration and insurance fees go up significantly..

Scotty D

I'm personally still on the fence on this issue too. My van has no top on it... I think a fixed high top is the way to go (I can get one installed from Tufport in Vancouver for a good price) but my wife likes the idea of a pop top.

I will likely convince her sometime this year that a fixed top will be the way to go :)

We had a RTT on my XJ, then it moved to her Landcruiser, then onto our trailer... Then we sold the RTT and trailer together just after we bought the van. We usually move camp every day so setting up the RTT every night and packing up every morning got tiresome... I feel a pop top would have the same annoyances.

what will a
tufport top cost you?

ert01

Adventurer
I'd have to look back through my emails but I feel like it was starting around $2k (CDN) installed and went up to about $4k depending on options... but that was a few years ago now. Not sure what their pricing is like nowadays.

Scotty D

I'd have to look back through my emails but I feel like it was starting around $2k (CDN) installed and went up to about $4k depending on options... but that was a few years ago now. Not sure what their pricing is like nowadays.
That is really cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94