Pop Top??? Owner install?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Sometime in the future I will be building a small universal poptop that can be put on the roof of any van and owner installed. Or I can sell you all the parts to build a full size one yourself.
Derek

StromHawk60

Observer
might it fit on a F350 crew cab top?

your reply intrigued me. I'm looking for somebody that builds (or will build) a pop top or flippac-like top that could fit on my F350 Crew Cab.

I have a great camper top for my hunt gear and toys. While I sleep there now, would love something over mycrewcab area.

Sorry for thread hijack but maybe you'll get more responses, too!

your reply intrigued me. I'm looking for somebody that builds (or will build) a pop top or flippac-like top that could fit on my F350 Crew Cab.

I have a great camper top for my hunt gear and toys. While I sleep there now, would love something over mycrewcab area.

Sorry for thread hijack but maybe you'll get more responses, too!

OH man that would be pretty slick, a flippac instead of the roof on a truck..

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I am not sure what you have in mind with your crew cab and i am not sure how long the cab is but you could either put a top bunk on it if you do not care about being able to access it from the inside. If the roof is 90 inches you could mount our van bunk on it that would allow you to access it from the inside and it would have a slide out bed that slides out the side. But I do not thing a crew cab roof line is long enough to sleep on IE 6 feet or so. But I could be wrong I don't have one here at the house to measure.
Derek

labbe66

Observer
Derek-
What is this van bunk you speak of?

I own an astro van and I was lloking at your topbunks. It looks like they are just about the perfect size to graft onto an astro. The astro roof is 54" X 94". What is the bottom clam shell of the top bunk made out of? I assume it is fiberglass but is there anything (plywood, honeycomb, etc.) sandwiched in there for rigidity?

fairweather

Observer
Here is a 79 westy top on a full size Dodge, it is just barely long enough. The Astro is too short to use a vanagon/bus Westfalia top without major modifications and you really need the length to have enough room to get up there and have at least 6' of length for sleeping.

The Eurovan/GTRV top will be better if you can find one.

picture.php

dsw4x4

Adventurer
labbe66,
The van bunk is a small pop top that can be installed on any van, it uses the top half of the top bunk, pops straight up and the bed will slide out the side of the van making an awning of sorts over the passenger side doors. It is in the prototype stages at the moment. I have started on one one a astro van. Your more than welcome to come up and check it out. i am not that far from you. The top bunk shells are fiberglass with balsa wood/ glass mat core. They are very rigid for there weight.
Derek

labbe66

Observer
Fairweather, I notice that the dodge van has botht he pop up section and the stationary section of the Westy pop top. Since it looks like you have a westy from you signature could you measure the length and width of just the pop up section for me? Also the length and width of the canvas would be great to see if I could use that with a custom designed top.

Thanks.

labbe66

Observer
Derek-
If only it were that easy to come up and look/talk shop. I actually live and work in the sierras near Yosemite in the R&D leg of Light Racing. Most of our website info is based around our corporate headquarters in Longmont. However I am very intriged by you ideas so pictures when you get them would be great!

labbe66

Observer
Fairweather,
Thanks that is what I needed. Looks like the fiberglass is a little too long but the tenting may work I'll have to measure a little closer on the Astro.

On a side note, I just noticed you live in Gunnison. Any chance you know Garth and Sandy Gantt?

fairweather

Observer
I do know those two, Garth made a very cool topper for his Toyota which I envied till I got into camper vans. Haven't seen Sandy much since she quit working at The Bean, I guess it's been a few years.

labbe66

Observer
Ha! That's great. Garth and I built that topper in '99 when I was sleeping on their front porch and bumming as a lift operator at CB. Good times!

SORRY FOR THE HI-JACK!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz