Pop top on high roof van

terx101

Hi, we are considering an option of getting a pop top on a high roof van to make it easier to sleep 4 people in the van. Based on our research many companies (e.g. SMB) don't offer this option but it looks like it's still possible to get it (e.g. from Colorado Camper Van).

What do you think of this idea? If you have this set up, do you regret it? Is it more difficult to drive (we also want to get 4x4 but don't plan to do anything crazy with the van).

We have a 4x4 van already but it's getting small for our growing family so we are starting to consider other options.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Having done a pop-top on a low-roof van, I can say that the pop-top and hardware is definitely heavier than the OEM van roof - this means you're adding weight up high on the vehicle. I can't say whether it will be terrible on a particular vehicle, but adding that mass to an already tall van definitely will raise the COG and make the van more top-heavy.

The bigger question to be is whether you really need that much volume to sleep 4 people. I'd take a look at your proposed floorplan and look for other options. We sleep two adults and 1-2 kids in a pop-top Astro van, which is significantly smaller in all dimensions than any current high-roof van.

I have issues with some of the design choices in the Revel campers, but with an aftermarket bunk kit, they can sleep two in the main elevated bed, two more in the added lower bunk (losing some garage space), and a fifth person in the factory front bed (which I think has a lot of compromises). If that layout can sleep 5, one ought to be able to figure a layout for 4 that works in the envelope of a regular high-roof. Heck, you don't even need stacked bunk-beds - Both Nomad Vans and Wilderness Vans have a couple different floor plans that sleep 4, even on a 144" high-roof. With a long wheelbase van, you shouldn't struggle at all.

Croftylad

It can be done. I have seen a high top mercedes sprinter mwb. 4x4 with a pop top roof. It was commercially produced in Germany. Personally I thought it was fantastic. Almost like an additional bedroom added to the roof. I have a high top van with a roof tent. We needed extra space but a larger vehicle wouldn't fit on the drive. This also works well.
Antony

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I feel like this is truly one of these things where people won't admit it's a bad idea. If you have driven your high roof van in heavy crosswind you know you don't want to add even more up there.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I feel like this is truly one of these things where people won't admit it's a bad idea. If you have driven your high roof van in heavy crosswind you know you don't want to add even more up there.

x2, and certainly so if you travel in the wide open areas of the Midwest or western US. The wind gusts in these areas can be unexpectedly sudden and violent.

Years ago while driving in a pickup carrying an 8’ overhead camper and going across open desert near the 4 Corners area, we got hit with a sudden big blast of side wind that was so powerful it actually moved our camper over sideways about 1 1/2” in the bed of the truck, twisting the otherwise strong metal edge of the truck’s bed where our turn-buckled tie downs were attached.

And your peace of mind while camped in the pop up high top in high winds may also become an issue...especially because it just seems (in our in the western US at least) that the weather has become more and more wIndy almost everywhere we’ve lived or traveled. That could become a problem with this kind of a top heavy set up.

Last edited:

Farfrumwork

I've seen the CCV top on high top Sprinter 4x4 here in town (CCV isn't too far away), so yes they do it. Poor quality picture attached.

Another point is that the CCV topper is pretty tall in itself, adding not only weight up high but also more surface area. I think the CCV tops are close to 12" tall.
CCV high top.jpg

I understand the desire to sleep four comfortably, and a pop top allows for that.

I have the same needs (family of four) and I wanted more separation between the kids sleep area and my wife and I; more than a bunk setup in a high top could provide. And we like the look of low tops better too, so we bought a low top then had a SMB top installed. The SMB topper is maybe 6-7" tall, so my van is still lower than a high top when popped down.

Aesthetics are personal so I'll let the picture speak to that.

b. rock

I've seen a CCV top popped on a high roof transit in a ski parking lot. It's damn tall, but clearly doable. A RTT would be another alternative. Hell I think there was even a company that was renting 4x4 vans with (2) RTTs on them at a time.

Scotty D

Hell I think there was even a company that was renting 4x4 vans with (2) RTTs on them at a time.

This is the Yurtle problem I have been alluding to : How high is enough?
Two rooftop tents? One on top of the other?
That is just crazy and pretty sure you are going to have to put the smallest children in the highest tent because of top heaviness issues.
Now what if OP decides he wants :
A high top transit
CCW top
Then a RTT
Then another RTT?

See how ridiculous this is starting to get?
Where will it end?

Keyne

Adventurer
Looks like there is a German supplied option for the Sprinter vans. This video shows some details of a Zenvanz high roof with poptop build.

b. rock

This is the Yurtle problem I have been alluding to : How high is enough?
Two rooftop tents? One on top of the other?
That is just crazy and pretty sure you are going to have to put the smallest children in the highest tent because of top heaviness issues.
Now what if OP decides he wants :
A high top transit
CCW top
Then a RTT
Then another RTT?

See how ridiculous this is starting to get?
Where will it end?

Lol, calm down there hoss. It was a regular roof van with two RTTs....side by side. No need to get so worked up over one false assumption.

arpisme

Having a 4x4 van already (as the OP mentioned) , maybe consider a hitch and lightly used pop up camper trailer for extra room.
Gives a bit of privacy also...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Makes ME wonder if all the new "Overlander's" are going the way of campground campers where your rig has all the comforts of home that campground campers have in their BIG rigs/trailers?

Poptops, Slide-Outs, satellite dishes, indoor/outdoor cooking stations, BIG screen TV for that can't miss ball game and fold out walls.

What's the next Big Thing in Overlanding?

This is America were everything's all about BIG and BOLD! To have more room and all the comforts of home in your bigger and bigger van or Overlanding rig.

What killed the idea of simple tent camping????

The invention of Chilly Wind (Air Conditioning)!

Having said all this BS I do like the idea of a poptop on a tall van!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online