Pony Express Trail In Utah's West Desert

It only took 10 days for Pony Express Trail riders to get mail from Missouri to California which is incredible especially since it took me almost two to cover just the West Desert portion in Utah. I loaded up my Jeep with my 3 year old son and our 7 year old Labrador and headed out to Utah's west desert to camp Thursday night. We camped in the 5 file recreation area which is a popular OHV recreation area in Utah's west desert. Lots of places to camp, but keep in mind this area can get pretty busy with OHVs during the summer months on the weekend. We pretty much ad the place to ourselves and started loading things up to hit the trail.

1aPonyexpresstrail-e1538925328352.jpg

Here is a video I put together of our first day on the trail.

From the 5 mile area we made our way over to the Pony Express trail route. This route is really cool, with trail markers identifying different stations along the route. There are several break off roads and trails to explore along the way if you would like. We especially liked the Simpson Springs station which has a replica station built next to the marker along with some interesting plaques explaining how it was found and why it was such an important station. This road is well graded and can be driven in any vehicle as long as it is not soft and muddy.

TrailMarker-min-e1538711583130.jpg

1aWildhorses-e1538925246276.jpg

Station-min-e1538711810958.jpg

Eventually we made it to the Fish Springs Wildlife Refuge where we stopped and took the vehicle driving tour. The springs offer an important source of water for migratory and local birds. Jackson and I loved checking out the Springs and watching for birds. I know basically nothing about bird species but it was still fascinating and I am sure if you knew anything about birds it would be really cool. Back on the trail we traveled several more miles and camped in the hills outside of Ibapah Utah which is close to the Nevada border.

FishSprings-min-e1538712148370.jpg

Saturday morning we had a ton of trail ahead of us still to make it to Ely Nevada and then start working our way back into Utah so we got up early and hit the trail. The tiny town of Ibapah was quite we didn't even see a person as we drove through. Eventually we made it to the Humbolt National Forest which was really pretty. Without the slow start we had Friday I would have liked to have camped here. Beautiful mountain pass with some nice spots to camp in the shade next to a mall river. We stopped for launch and let Jackson and Molly play in the water for a while before heading back out on the trail. The climb up the mountain was fun and a nice contrast to all of the desert driving we had done over the past day and a half. Once down the canyon we hit pavement and made our way into Ely Nevada to fill up on fuel and grab a snack. Then we started our way back towards Utah and the Hermits Cave.

Here are some videos from Day 2.

The Copper Canyon wash trail was so much fun, and I almost missed it. Timing these trips is tough, with kids and filming. Things often take longer than I expect and we were a few hours behind schedule. I was considering bypassing this trail and just heading on Highway 6 towards Utah. However I stayed the course and this trail was well worth it. Tons of fun, a really steep hill climb and well worth the time.

Eventually we were back on Highway 6 to cross the border back into Utah and then back in the desert heading towards Notch Peak and the Hermit Cave. With daylight dwindling I decided to skip Notch Peak as I had been there before and headed over to the Hermit Cave. Bob Stinson a World War 1 Veteran built a home into the cave after he broke down when heading to visit his brother in Delta Utah. The cave was really incredible I am blown away that someone lived there for as long as he did.

Hermit-Cave-min-e1538712636483.jpg

1aWestDesertTrip4-e1538925291586.jpg

We ran out of daylight, so we jumped on the Highway and made our way back Home.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94