Polymer step stool options?

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
I currently use a Plano Green Dry-Storage ammo box as a step stool. It has supported my weight (about 185) lbs well while working on the truck, provides about 10" of rise, is compact at 15"x8"x10" and lightweight at about 3 lbs. I like it because I can keep a few things in it, store it in my truck, and pull it out with the handle whenever I need a lift.

The other advantage of the ammo box is that it is very nearly vertical. This allows me to place the step stool right next to the tire/wheel, allowing me to get very close to the vehicle.
httpwww.planomolding.commediacatalogproduct16161298.png

I'm wondering what other folks are using as step stools for their rigs - more specifically: step stools that they store in their rigs. I need a bit more lift, and I was wondering if there was a better alternative than simply buying a taller ammo box.

I think something like the well known Kikkerland folding step would be great, but something more robust and less prone to folding up. I have tried both my kikkerlands and with the gyrations of engine work on a lifted vehicle, they are not quite robust enough.

The only other requirement is that it has to be plastic / polymer.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Why polymer? If you move to aluminum there are lots of 1,2, or 3 step ladders on the market that are light and foldable.

In polymer, my kids have some little folding stools for brushing their teeth and reaching in the pantry, but I would never trust one to hold my 230 lb ********. Even under the 40-50 lb kids they develop cracks and I replace them every 2 years or so. I’m guessing we probably buy them at Target or Walmart.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I have one of these folding plastic step stools to assist my elderly mother getting into my rig. It is surprisingly sturdy and folds flat. I keep it under the passenger seat for mom. They make taller versions too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LDNHKH...&pd_rd_r=230ff544-7753-11e9-a967-b34187462b23

I have one very similar I found at Wal-Mart, only it's black.

I keep it in a rear under floor storage area my Xterra has in the back, also where I keep some tool rolls and just in case gear.

Not only are they handy for a step, I sit on mine possibly more than I stand on it, for low work on the truck (wheels, brakes, steering area) it's a life saver.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Folding step stool like the BigSwede, great and takes up little space when folded. Mine is black and red.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have one of these folding plastic step stools to assist my elderly mother getting into my rig. It is surprisingly sturdy and folds flat. I keep it under the passenger seat for mom. They make taller versions too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LDNHKH...&pd_rd_r=230ff544-7753-11e9-a967-b34187462b23
I had one of those, Steve; it crushed like a house of cards under me the first time I used it. I was about #250 at the time.
Got it from West Marine ---- they wouldn't talk about refund.

JackW

Explorer
I use this step stool from Harbor freight its got a big enough platform to let you move a little and that helps keep you from stepping off the edge when you are pulling on a wrench.
Its tall enough to sit on comfortably when working on something low.

Ikea has this Bolmen stool which can be used as a bin if inverted - doesn't fold though - it costs $5.99

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I had one of those, Steve; it crushed like a house of cards under me the first time I used it. I was about #250 at the time.
Got it from West Marine ---- they wouldn't talk about refund.
There seems to be a lot of different makers of very similar stepstools. I have used mine without issue and I am over #300. The one I linked isn't the actual one I bought, so I went back in my Amazon orders and found it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014WOXB6O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rnArmy

Adventurer
I have both a folding stool and a metal HF folding stool. The metal stool stays in the shop, and the folding plastic stool stays in the trailer. The plastic folding stool is only 2" deep, so it takes up hardly any space in the trailer. I can't remember where I bought the plastic stool, but it wasn't expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles