Poll: Scrap gen3 limited? Need your opinion

Scrap truck

• Total voters

tj90

Ive owned my 03 limited its whole life. Maintained it the best i could. 260k mi later, im only able to pass smog with o2 extenders. Blipping throttle results in slight smoke probably worn rings.
Everything else on truck has been maintained, but tranny is original. Im thinking of engine swapping. I know i have cracked exhaust manifolds and cats are probably toast from smoke.
What are chances i put $5k in replacing everything i know thats broke and a year later, tranny craps out next? That's probably another $3k.
What would you do? I actually haven't heard any problems with these trannys. My experience with other cars is that tranny probably needs rebuild.

plh

Explorer
260K is a lot of miles. I'm at 175K on my '05. Hoping to get to 230 - 240 which shouldn't be an issue. Then it will be done. Guessing current value on mine is $3,500 - $4,000.

You should just go shopping,

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Definitely doesn't make sense $ wise to fix all that if it is a stock truck. So the only reason to spend that kind of money would be if you had a lot invested in 4x4 mods on it or had a sentimental attachment to it.

tj90

Definitely sentimental but realize opportunity to get something else. That truck has gotten me and my family out of some situations, taken us on plenty of desert and snow adventures! Thanks for advice. Im still open to more ideas.

Superexpress

260k miles is a ton. What is the key factor for your decision? How do you use the vehicle and what level of service do you expect of it? Financially it is unlikely to make sense, as the likelihood of something else big going after the engine swap (assuming you go that route) is very high (on a long enough timeline, survival rate is always 0). It doesn't have to be the tranny, it could be the transfer case, the rear diff, a door latch, the dash cluster, etc, etc. Is the sentimental attachment enough to justify that financial risk? If it is a daily driver, then the likelihood of a follow on failure is higher and the cost of a failure is also higher (rental car, uber, etc). If it is a weekend warrior, and it can sit while you find the right used part then it makes more sense, you could even turn it into a project. For some reason I keep getting ads for a 2.8 cummins diesel crate motor....

Edit: Just saw some pictures of your truck in the photos thread. It's so clean!! Even the front skid plate looks spotless! Congratulations on the great job you've done with the maintenance! Maybe just keep driving it "until the wheels fall off"?

Last edited:

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
It really depends on your situation...obviously its different from person to person. My wifes Gen 3 is at a healthy 194k....motor is quiet and operates smooth and transmission still shifts perfectly. It does need maintenance next year....mostly suspension and a little bit of drivetrain, the biggest expense is replacing the valve stem seals. Leather seats needs to be reupholstered and a paint job as the florida sun has taken its toll on the hood and roof. I can see investing a couple thousand into getting her Gen 3 back to "great shape" rather than buying a new car with payments. I don't want to get into long term loan and rather put the money for a car payment into saving towards a home, as in the next couple of years we are planning to buy a new house and don't want to have any debt going into the buying process.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
If you know the vehicle so well, and trust it in all other regards other than the drivetrain, get a new engine and tranny. They can be had for about $1500 to $2000, unless you source one from a junkyard, then its a LOT cheaper (about $400 for the motor). Hire a mobile mechanic to help with the transfer. Pulling the old engine out is not that hard, I just did it myself, and I have no mechanical skills, knowledge, or aptitude. However, installing the new one has been rather challenging for me, but that's because I have no mechanical skills, knowledge, or aptitude :)

offthepath

Adventurer
Our two vehicles are an 01 F250 and an 03 Montero, so I deal with the delima of older vehicles all the time, especially with the f250 being higher mileage.

Id look at it this way:
-consider the price, age and mileage of the vehicle that will replace the montero.
-what's your time worth? Older vehicles need work, are you ok with that?
-Finances, do you have the CASH to upgrade to a new vehicle.

Case in point is our f250. We got it with 230k, but at 260k oil analysis was showing massive spikes in wear metals (ie engine needed rebuilt). I would not carry a loan and the most we could spend on a new truck was 18-20k. That put us in a newer truck with very high miles, or an older truck with still over 100k. I did not feel it was smart to spend double what we paid on the f250 just to get a truck with unknown history and still 100k+ that very well may need major work too.

I spent the money and rebuilt the engine. I resolved myself that I had more time than money to work on the truck and moved forward with the mind set that unless I could get a substantial vehicle upgrade compared to the cost of repairs, it was better to keep it and fix what you have. That has been my stance ever since

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Have you ever done a fluid change on the transmission? I would check the fluid color on the dipstick. Old fluid has a brown color, really old fluid may turn black, but it shouldn't have a strong odor unless the fluid is burned. New SP-III fluid is translucent ruby red in color. There is a procedure for changing the transmission oil filter along with replacing/flushing to new fluid. This is a good way to extend the life, but I'm not sure how much further it will last since you are already at 260k.

Doing_Dirt

Like most have said, it would depend on your finances. If you have a few dollars to invest in another vehicle, it may be a bit more economical to use that money towards a new motor and trans. At least you know where every little nick and scratch came from with your current ride opposed to buying a pre-owned vehicle full of surprises.

tj90

Ive maintained this vehicle very well. Even to the point of flushing the AT every 30k with sp3 fluid and water pumps and timing belts every 60k. I know i wasted money but i loved this truck and wanted to last me.
Funny thing is I cannot find any data on these trannys and longevity. I honestly dont know how long they last. It doesnt slip and pulls.
The only other issue im having is a low idle and wife complains that she gets a momentary loss of power. Ive never e experienced that but im daily driving it now.
The only drivetrain issue ive had was a clunk from failing actuatuator engaging 4wd. But as you know thats an easy fix.
Last year, i replaced the rear diff carrier bushes. That was a major job (gas tank had to be partially removed) and demonstrates my desire to keep the truck.
In regards to cats, i figure i can core the upstreams if blocked and continue running o2 extenders with the downstream still functioning to cleanup exhaust.
My impression is that donor vehicle engines and trannys are getting hard to find now.

tj90

@offthepath im in the same boat as you. I have a 97 f150 with similar miles. I rebuilt its tranny 2 years ago. Cost me $2500 to do everything. Many thought i should just buy a new truck. I drove the new f150 and they are nice but i kept thinking about the car payment. I felt that the rebuild was equal to 5 car payments. In my mind, im ahead financially but i still have an old but reliable truck.

I checked prices on a jeep wrangler unlimited last night. Financing a new or slightly used one would put me at $650 a month for 60 months. ($30-35k). Interest rates are starting to rise - 4% with great credit. I started to get cold feet bc thaat doesnt include tags or insurance.

Monty is starting to look like a better option. I guess i will keep driving it but i will start watching the car market get familiar with what is out there and how much it costs... $5k into montero is 8 months of payments but its probably 3 weekends of work...

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I'm terrified of having to replace mine. It's a daily driver and I work in sales/service, so it gets a workout. If the body is still good, I'd vote to replace engine and trans when the time comes, maybe order a new Katzkin leather interior (did that on my wife's Sport Limited, best money spent ever). Spring for a new paint job, might get you another 3 years or so. I doubt I'll ever buy new, and of the few rental SUVs I've driven I'm always glad to get back behind the wheel of the Monty.

We can hope maybe for the new Pajero Sport or L200 Triton import can't we?

tj90

Actually the monty has best paint of my fleet. My 05 toyota prius clear coat is shot, 97 f150 is flaking exposing primer on roof.

Tell me more about katzkin. Never heard of it and my leather seats need tlc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles