Polar Bear soft sided coolers

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I searched, but saw very few postings about these coolers (http://polarbearcoolers.com/) here on Expo. Several people had mentioned them over on ADVRider, so I bought one, and then another (a 24 and 12 pack size).
green-12pack.jpg

The short of it is, for a soft sided cooler, they claim they'll keep ice for 24 hours on a 100 degree day. I'm inclined to believe it based on my experience. The downside is they're somewhat expensive and a bit bulky given their capacity. But it's a lot easier carrying a soft sided cooler than a conventional one. I typically use mine to keep stuff cool in the car for day hikes and afterward. Should get lots of use for an upcoming beach trip. They're also stiff enough, I can see using my 12 pack cooler on the back of my motorcycle.

Just wondering if others have had any experience, good or bad, with these coolers. I expected to see more info about them on this site, but we are a bit fridge and 5 day cooler-centric!

bronconite

Observer
I own the same 2 that you do. I have not done an actual test, but based on my use, I agree with you that they're probable capable of living up to the claims. They are expensive, but for the last few years they ran a 50% off sale near the end of the year. That's when I bought mine last year. I heard of them through the kayakfishing community, where they come highly recommended by those who use them.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
There was chatter on ADVRider about those sales as well. I didn't buy then and wish I did. I certainly don't regret the purchase, but at half off they are practically the price of department store soft sided coolers.

bronconite

Observer
I just got an e-mail from them today for a 10% off Labor Day offer. Here is the important info: That's right! Just type in 5150 at checkout and you are good for 10% off.

Wareagle

Observer
Any more feedback? I need a good 6-12 bottle cooler to backup my engel 65 hard side. I need me that doesn't leak. Will use for keeping cool in 100 series during hikes, mountain runs in miata, lake days in kayak and runabout, IPA storage to hotel, etc. I am guessing 12 Pack model is right size.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I'm still real happy with mine. I've used them numerous times now, although only for day trips. So I can't speak for whether they would keep stuff cool for days at a time, but it worked well all day in the sun at the beach last summer. I just throw in a cold pack or two. It's real nice being able to just sling it over your shoulder comfortably as opposed to lugging a cooler. The only issue has been a broken buckle when I slammed it in the door. Obviously that was entirely my fault, but I still haven't felt the need to fix it. The quality is clearly superior to a typical soft sided cooler, but the price reflects it. I've had no issues with leaks, but I doubt the zipper is watertight if your were planning to toss it around.

I do think their size ratings may be a bit ambitious. While I'm sure you can physically cram 12 cans in the 12 pack size, there would be little to no room for ice packs. This is aggravated if you're carrying something other than 12 oz cans. The 24 can size is quite bulky, but can still easily be slung over your shoulder with the included strap.

Reader's Digest version: somewhat expensive, but I find it was worth the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior