Point & Shoot Cameras

Jackem

My small Cannon PowerShot camera has failed for the second time in a year. Both times it was in a leather case and in a backpack but the bumps and knocks of hiking and off roading took out the the rear display. The first time I sent it in to Cannon expecting a warrantied repair, but they refused to cover it claiming I over stressed the screen. Because of their attitude I'm not inclined to deal with Cannon again.

Can anyone recommend a pocket sized camera that's resilient, has 30x optical zoom (or so), and pocket sized in the less than $400 range?

Thanks in advance

Kerensky97

Xterra101
With it breaking so much I was going to recommend a ruggedized camera but they never have high zoom powers like that.
A 30x zoom is really a big limiter on your options, not many point and shoots have that kind of zoom.
I used to have a LUMIX Travel Zoom DMC-ZS50 (https://amzn.to/2NQcY15) that I liked but it's not going to be any more resilient than your Powershot was. I don't think any pocketable high power zoom will be.
I used to have a Powershot S95 that took a hell of a beating with no issues. I think you just had some bad luck.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Honestly, I think you need to consider a better case and more careful handling than a camera that is more resilient.

As mentioned, 30x zoom will be tough, and severely limits your selection.

Id advise you buy the best camera you are willing to pay for, and find a proper case for it.
Sure, there are some "tough" cameras out there. But besides being tough, they are nothing special.

Im rocking a RX100 V myself, for many reasons, but being tough isnt one of them, so I treat it with mucho respect, both in and out of the case.
Its form factor however, makes for an easy to pack camera. Being so small you can afford a considerable amount of case for it.

Jackem

Thanks for the replies. A better case is a good suggestion as is being kinder to my devices... Ordered a Nikon A900 today that fits my zoom and price goals. We'll see how long it lasts.

Superduty

Adventurer
How about getting a pelican case with pluck foam so you can create a nice nest for it. I've had my older Canon DSLR on a few VERY bouncy trips and it survived in a pelican case. Also tie down the pelican case so it isn't bouncing.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Olympus Tough TG series. We have standardized on them at work (heavy utility/power plant) for about 10 years now. They go under water, in boilers, hot temps, cold temps, fall on the ground, dirt/ash, etc. They are so good, I bought one for personal use. The current generation is TG-5 and sports 4k video.

I currently use a TG-4 (work) and a TG-1 (Mine) and have used them in all sorts of environments. It's small enough that it slips into the nice "safari" style chest pockets so it is always on you for stills and video.

Granted, it compliments (not replaces) a good DSLR, but for the portability, I won't leave home without one.

We tested the other weatherproof/crushproof point and shoots (canon, Nikon, and even Olympus' cheaper line) and none compared. The TG is a BEAST.

Downside? You give up your optical zoom (but you can a sweet macro (we use it to catch nearly invisible weld cracks) and also low light capability (F2.0). I don't know of any camera that has a rugged/reliable optical zoom. Save that for your DLSR shots.

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Wate...d=1536259167&sr=8-3&keywords=Olympus+Tough+TG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles