Point me to a 72"-80" wide RTT?

Madcapwoodwright

While I wait to hear about specifics on the TuffStuff Elite Overland (separate post) I thought I would reach out to get some ideas on 4-person sized RTT's.

Specifically, I'm looking for one that has around 72" to 80" width. Also, and pretty key point, I need one WITHOUT the extended vestibule over the doors and usual annex.
We mount our RTT low on a trailer, so these two features are not needed/wanted.

Any ideas for a mondo RTT available here in the states?
Anyone have one and willing to share your experiences?

Thanks!!!

J.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
CVT Denali. I love the one I got, but it is heavy. I believe they are available without extended and annex coverage.

Actually, the Denali is 84” wide, but still a great option.

The biggest Tepui is nice too at 72”. I think they are calling it the Kukenam 4 now.

Last edited:

emulous74

I run an iKamper X-Cover on my X-venture trailer and it will be the smallest closed, probably the lightest at 120lbs and fit your requirements opened:

• Size (closed): 75" x 45" x 10" / 190cm x 115cm x 27cm (13.4"/34cm with cross bars mounted)
  • Size (open): 91" x 75" x 44" / 230cm x 190cm x 110cm
  • Capacity: 3 adults / 2 adults & 2 children

Scoutman

Explorer
Mt Denali is ~87" long. We've had ours on a daily driven Dodge Ram for around 4 years now. It's pretty comfy for 4 people while the kids are smaller but as they approach teenage years that will be challenged. Is sleeping 4 people or your dimension range more important?

Madcapwoodwright

I this k the dimensions are the key as well as the deletion of the vestibule hood over the doors.
Ultimately, I think the CVT or Tepui will work if the Tuff Stuff Elite Overland has it's the vestibule as a permanent part of the tent vs. being removable. Also, it's pretty key for me to be able to mount it so it can be opened to the back vs. off to the side.

Thanks for these responses. Big help!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Curious what vehicle you will be mounting across that has the width to support a 72-80” tent that opens off the back?

Madcapwoodwright

Curious what vehicle you will be mounting across that has the width to support a 72-80” tent that opens off the back?
The rails are 72" wide, and the trailer is outfitted to accept a tent 96" long, opened front to back. I want to find a RTT that is wider, but does NOT have the vestibule and annex that typically come with the larger tents.

Madcapwoodwright

CVT Denali. I love the one I got, but it is heavy. I believe they are available without extended and annex coverage.

Actually, the Denali is 84” wide, but still a great option.

The biggest Tepui is nice too at 72”. I think they are calling it the Kukenam 4 now.

I think the tepui is now unobtainium. Thule has down sized the lineup it seems. The cvt is now on the shortlist, thanks!

Ryannnz

While I wait to hear about specifics on the TuffStuff Elite Overland (separate post) I thought I would reach out to get some ideas on 4-person sized RTT's.

Specifically, I'm looking for one that has around 72" to 80" width. Also, and pretty key point, I need one WITHOUT the extended vestibule over the doors and usual annex.
We mount our RTT low on a trailer, so these two features are not needed/wanted.

Any ideas for a mondo RTT available here in the states?
Anyone have one and willing to share your experiences?

Thanks!!!

J.

CVT Denali - skip the Annex. Just put ours up on our military trailer and did a review linked below. Dimensions are what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Did a project about 20 years ago. Had a fellow with a big family wanted an expedition trailer to tow behind his Hummer. The trailer was designed to have the same track as the truck and so there was tons of room for tents. I advocated to have a tent on the trailer and one on the Hummer but they wanted everything on the trailer. We used two OverCamp tents, their big ones, their medium size, which was odd as these puppies are over six feet wide when open, and they opened like a book rather than a wallet like most of the newer tents these days. I have a thumbnail photo of what they looked like.
Hummer tents.jpg
Sorry for the bad resolution, a long time ago and found this on a backup. The trailer was quite expensive as it was custom but the tents were cheap. I think they were less than $2500 for the pair. Overcamps are still made but you will have to order one direct from AutoHome in Italy. They aren't a really sophisticated tent, everything is basic like the ladders and frame are steel so they can be repaired in the field. I got a note from an old client who told me they rolled and the tent protected the top of their truck and the tent was still perfect. Considered an expedition tent, they weren't really designed for recreational use. The whole side of the tent rolls up so you can in theory roll out. It is hard to tell scale but open you have two four person tents so they are over 16 feet wide, one for the couple and one for the kids.

OverCamp Inside.jpg
They have half a zipper stitched into the ridgeline above the doors so you can get the other half and zip in an awning or two if the rig isn't big enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94