Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mike!

Yeah, I feel kinda naked out there without a winch myself, and have always had one in the past. The winch I have now is only a 9,000 lb. version, but with a snatch block or two I can do quite a bit. My days of mud bogging, etc. are over with. I'm building this truck and trailer for camping, and disaster recovery such as hurricanes. Oh, and don't forget the Zombie Apocalypse! I'm not talking about the kind you see in the movies, but the kind who did not bother to prepare for anything and now will try to take everything you have, including your life.

Eventually, I hope to come across a deal on a 12,000-15,000 lb, winch and mount it on the front. Then I'll put the 9,000 lb. back in it's portable cradle for use on the rear or on the trailer itself.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Just a small update...

The Warn brush guard and winch mount I bought did not come with the mounting brackets, which basically is a whole kit of it's own.

sshot-2018-11-09-[2].png

I looked around and finally found one on Amazon for $345.00, yeah ouch! It arrived last week, so I guess after the holidays I've got a project to do.

BTW, for you guys who have ambulances that you can't stand up in, I have the solution to your problem.

https://odditymall.com/knee-blades-knee-pads-with-wheels

rlrenz

Explorer
Just a small update...

The Warn brush guard and winch mount I bought did not come with the mounting brackets, which basically is a whole kit of it's own.

View attachment 490145

I looked around and finally found one on Amazon for $345.00, yeah ouch! It arrived last week, so I guess after the holidays I've got a project to do.

BTW, for you guys who have ambulances that you can't stand up in, I have the solution to your problem.

https://odditymall.com/knee-blades-knee-pads-with-wheels

I bought a set like the roller knee pads several years ago when I was installing a lot of ceramic tile. They work well, but I've also just used a 16x16" piece of plywood with 2" casters as a sit-down dolly. It worked well, but it was a bear to get up from since it kept rolling -- I was so close to the floor that about the only way was to slide off, sit on the floor, then get up.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Battery Bank, Generator, Aux Fuel Tank, Bed...my thoughts.

This past year I turned 65 y/o, and it has been pretty rough due to my ongoing medical issues. Actual construction has pretty much come to a standstill. However, not a day goes by that I don’t think about this project, conduct research on the internet, or locate and order parts for it.

I was in a lot of pain this past weekend, so I put my brain into overdrive to distract me. In the process, I believe I have solved four of the problems I’ve been pondering.

1. Battery bank location and mounting options - I will need to confirm the exact measurements, but I believe they will sit in a drawer right at the base of the electrical closet. Since the batteries are AGM, they can be mounted inside with no problems, this centers the 300 lb. weight almost perfectly, and they are protected from the temperature and weather.

My new 2000W Magnum Dimensions Inverter mounted on its MMP panel has all the main breakers already, so the grey Shore Power breaker box will be removed, as it’s no longer needed. The IOTA converter for the A/C will be moved up, along with the battery cables and terminal post. That should leave about 12” to 14” of clear space at the bottom.

IMG_0303 - modified.JPG

I have a big gray door from an older model like my 1993 had at the top of the electrical closet, so it can be cut down and should match perfectly as the battery drawer front. The closet wall will have to come out about 6”, but it needs to anyway to provide clearance for the back of the Blue Sea panels that will get mounted on the tall skinny door on the left side. The pic below is not my actual rig, but a stock picture of an ambulance interior almost identical to mine.

IMG_0184 - Alt - modified.jpg

2. Honda EU3000i Generator Box – Since I need to mount my generator on the tongue, I went looking for ready made boxes I could modify, rather than hiring someone local to build me one from scratch. I found a few Diamond Plate generator boxes on the net, but they are all in the $1,500.00 range, with no place for an auxiliary fuel tank. I made the mistake of getting on Weather Guard’s site, and they do have some very nice, well-built stuff, but all at a hefty price.

I found a Weather Guard 60”x 24”x 24” underbed box that I really like, but it is $981.59 & FREE Shipping. This is long enough I could put the generator in one end on the driver’s side, and an auxiliary fuel tank on the passenger’s side.
Tool Box.jpg

I already have a Road Gear Tool Box. It is 36”x 24”x 24” and will just sit on the 34” wide frame. It is just polished aluminum, not Diamond Plate. It looks out of proportion in this picture, but the measurements are correct. The generator is 26” long, so it will fit lengthwise, but no room for an auxiliary fuel tank by the time I add the intake fans and exhaust duct-work. The plan is to mount it so the door is facing forward, and the top can have a storage rack mounted on it.

Box - 01.jpg

Also, in the case of both boxes the door opening is only 19.5” high, and the generator is 22” high, according to the manufacturer’s specs. I haven’t measured the generator’s exact height myself, and it sits on brackets with rubber feet under the brackets, so I may be able to remove some pieces and gain that extra room I need. Although, it will be sitting on a slide out tray also.

3. Auxiliary Generator Fuel Tank – If I use the Weather Guard 60” box, this is covered. If I use the box I already have, then I need to find a suitable location to mount it. I allowed 36” of space on the frame between the front wall and the actual angled tongue for the generator mounting. Both of these boxes are 24” deep, so that leaves 12” of space behind the box and in front of the front wall.

I can mount a tall vertical tank similar to the one below, in that space and that will solve the problem. If I can find one that is 36” long and will fit the space, it would look great and be convenient to fill if I put the fill cap on the driver’s side like my truck is. A tank 36”x 6”x 24” will hold 22.44 gals, and is about what size I’m looking for. It could provide extra fuel for the truck as well, by adding a way to transfer it or fill gas cans to transfer it.

Fuel Tank.png

4. Bed – Considering I want to keep my bench and the storage below it, the slat design seems to be the best option. You can open it for access below, and you can extent it as little or as much as you want, for one or two people. But, let’s face it, that’s a lot of work.

While looking for something else on Amazon, I came across this tri-fold Plate-Style Aluminum Extra-Wide Tri-Fold ATV Ramp. The light bulb came on and the gears in my head started to grind. I have 72” of length available, and this is 77” x 54” x 1.9” inches when opened, with 18” panels, and will support 1,500 lbs., so the length would need to be shortened slightly.

I’m thinking this could be mounted with hinges on top of the bench and just behind the existing hinged bench top. When folded up it would tuck into that space where the seat belts usually go (I will remove mine since they are not needed in a trailer), and it might even be useful in supporting a back rest at an angle. Then all that would be needed is some fold up legs to support the third outboard section if it’s used, and a futon mattress or separate cushions.
Ramp.jpg

Note! A single or Twin size bed is 39” wide. Two 18” sections is 36”…pretty close, huh? A Full size bed is 54” wide, and three 18” sections is guess what… 54”, imagine that!

36” should be wide enough for one person, and 54“ should be wide enough for two people, at least that works for me.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Build therapy works. Even if it's just planning! (y)

Yes it does Mike, because in my mind I'm making progress even though it's not on the rig itself. One thing's for sure, nobody can say I'm jumping into it and not thinking things through! ;) Now, if I can just remember all of it long enough to make it happen... :LOL:

patoz

Expedition Leader
It's hard to believe, but hurricane season is right around the corner already. It starts officially on June 1st.

One of the main things I wanted to do was get a winch mounted on the front of my truck before then, along with some LED off-road lighting. I have spent a week looking for a used winch that is the right size, a good deal, and close by, but no luck. I also realize buying used equipment is not always the best idea, especially when it’s something as critical as a winch. I wouldn’t know it’s usage history, preventive maintenance if any, cable condition, motor overheating events, and would not have a warranty.

So with all that being said, I have decided to go ahead and buy a new winch and get the exact model I want. I spent all afternoon yesterday doing research, and decided on the Warn 95960 ZEON Platinum 12-S Winch with wireless remote control. This winch is 12,000 lb. rated using the first layer of cable on the drum, 100% waterproof (remote also) IP68 rated, and can be operated completely underwater with no damage. It also has two 12VDC ports built into it that you can use to power other accessories, such as off-road lights, video camera, etc. The smart controller has the ability to turn these ports on or off, as well as monitor the vehicle's battery level and winch motor temperature. It will shut down the winch in case either one moves to a dangerous level.

0000183_zeon-12-s-platinum-winch.jpg warn-zeon-platinum-advanced-remote_2_1.jpg

Amazon’s price is $1,811.00 for the model with Synthetic Rope, and $1,599.99 for the model with steel cable. There are pro’s and con’s to both, so I haven’t decided which one to get yet, but I’m leaning towards the Synthetic Rope model because it cuts off 20 lbs. of overall weight and is much easier to handle. Although, it does require much more care when using and Preventive Maintenance.

The rule for Vehicle Recovery Winch ratings is 1.5 times the total GVWR of the vehicle it’s mounted on. My truck’s GVWR is 8,800 lbs., so that would be 13,200 lbs. (8,800 x 1.5 = 12,200). My old 1993 trailer weighed 5,200 lbs. empty with no equipment, water tanks, or house batteries in it. My 2005 trailer has a heavier frame, 6” more headroom, and by the time all the equipment, water tanks, house batteries, generator, aux gas tank, etc. are added, it’s going to be in the 6,500 lb. range I believe.

So, the truck plus the trailer will come in around 15,300 lbs. That would require a winch rated at 16,000 lbs. or better. Warn makes a 15,000 and a 16.500 lb. rated winch, but now your taking really big money. Since I’m not going rock hopping or mud bogging (those days are long gone), I figure I can get away with the 12,000 lb. winch, some fancy rigging, and a lot of common sense. I do need to get another snatch block to go with the one I have.

I predict most of my winch use will be to get across a sandy area or water hole on a forestry road, moving downed trees, dragging firewood up to the road, clearing hurricane debris, or assisting someone else in those situations or stalled out in a flooding condition. It has uses around the house also.

There is one drawback to this winch that I have found. There is no manual override or hard wired remote option for the clutch and the operation of the winch if the wireless remote fails for any reason, is lost, or the rechargeable battery is dead, the last being the operator's fault. I emailed Warn and asked them about this, and 'Patti Ann' replied, "There is no manual override, no wired option available, or any way to add one." Obviously, she has seriously underestimated the electrical skills of us 'Good Ole Southern Boys'! We can Git-R-Done! So, I'm not to worried about this situation.

I have logged many hours on the end of a winch cable or on the remote control in the last 45 years, so winches are nothing new to me, but I'm wondering if any of you have any first hand experiences with this particular Warn model or own one yourself. If so, I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online