Point Five Ambo Build

rlrenz

Explorer
Thanks for your kind words, Pappawheely.

Pat and I do seem to think alike many times, but we have a common heritage - he's a retired DoD fire chief, and I spent virtually all my working life designing, building, and testing military equipment. As a result, we're both very familiar with build-for-the-worst-case - and that's what we both do. We don't buy and install junk - we go for the good stuff, like Blue Sea electrical equipment. We've both learned a long time ago that "pay me now, or pay me later" is very true.

And I'm dating myself when I say -

Ciao!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mike!

Like Bob said, we both are fanatical about doing things right the first time, and using the best quality parts and supplies available to accomplish that goal. Besides, we are both getting too old to have to build something two or three times! :agree:

However, this forum has been a goldmine of information about supplies, parts and sources, new equipment, techniques, etc., and I have learned so much from it and people such as yourself. I may not comment on your build every day, but I do read every post made on that thread.

Since you are a professional photographer, I also enjoy the action race pictures you post. Talk about having a dream job... :wings: I'm also in the market for a new DSLR, so I may shoot you a PM with some questions when I narrow down what I want.

~ Pat

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Thanks Mike!

Like Bob said, we both are fanatical about doing things right the first time, and using the best quality parts and supplies available to accomplish that goal. Besides, we are both getting too old to have to build something two or three times! :agree:

However, this forum has been a goldmine of information about supplies, parts and sources, new equipment, techniques, etc., and I have learned so much from it and people such as yourself. I may not comment on your build every day, but I do read every post made on that thread.

Since you are a professional photographer, I also enjoy the action race pictures you post. Talk about having a dream job... :wings: I'm also in the market for a new DSLR, so I may shoot you a PM with some questions when I narrow down what I want.

~ Pat

I would be glad to help any way I can.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mike!

I hope you have a great 4th of July Weekend!
waveFlag.gif
attachment.php

patoz

Expedition Leader
Just a quick update...

I'm still here, but now growing feathers and have webbed feet because it just will not stop raining! We have been getting about 8 to 10 hours a day of rain, and when it finally quits for a while, the standing water turns into steam with the 95° to 100° temps.

Now, we are looking at this in Pensacola for this all week...

raintotals11-540x291.jpg

Obviously, no work going on with the camper but I'm still researching and accumulating parts, etc. Once fall gets here and it cools off some, I'm going to have some serious catching up to do!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
My wife is STILL bugging me to move to the Tampa area, and your posts definitely aren't giving me the warm fuzzies about that prospect.

patoz

Expedition Leader
sshot-2016-08-08-[1].jpg

Tom, this has been a very unusual year so far. I can't remember when we have every had a summer this hot or with this much rain. I know most of this rain is coming from the remnants of that Hurricane that just crossed the Yucatan Peninsula. But, as far as the heat goes, maybe there is something to the 'Global Warming' thing, who knows!

patoz

Expedition Leader
In Arizona we fry eggs on the sidewalk. Maybe you should boil some lobsters.

Yeah, or a least some shrimp!

It rained all afternoon again today, and the forecast for the next three days is 100% every day! Anybody know where I can get some pontoons for my ambo/camper?

Floating RV - 01.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
View attachment 360359

Tom, this has been a very unusual year so far. I can't remember when we have every had a summer this hot or with this much rain. I know most of this rain is coming from the remnants of that Hurricane that just crossed the Yucatan Peninsula. But, as far as the heat goes, maybe there is something to the 'Global Warming' thing, who knows!

So what's it like down there from say the end of August to the end of May?

The wife is dead set on Florida. I figure I can leverage that into my preference of a more rural location so I can build me some stupid garage space.

Summer's I'm figuring we'll hit the road in the camper and spend those someplace less...oven-ish, thereby missing the bulk of the ugly heat/humidity. Maybe?

DzlToy

Explorer
Add 10-12 degrees to the average high and subtract 10-12 degrees from the low to get an idea of what weather can do in the SE US:

Pensacola (Florida Panhandle) https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Florida/Places/pensacola-temperatures-by-month-average.php

(Fort Lauderdale (SE corner) https://www.currentresults.com/Weat...-lauderdale-temperatures-by-month-average.php

It is very humid here in the summer, so 90 degrees during the middle of summer, may "feel" like 100 - 105*F.

In the winter, Florida fills up with at least half of the east coast trying to get away from the cold. Almost all of the coastal areas are jammed with people. If you want "rural" you will likely need to go inland, which has its pros and cons.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Tom,

DzlToy about summed it up with the links he posted, and here is the one for the Tampa area you were asking about.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Florida/Places/tampa-temperatures-by-month-average.php

One thing about our weather that has changed over the last 20 - 30 years is, we don't seem to have much of a Spring or Fall anymore. Instead of several months of each like we had when I was growing up, now we're lucky if we have 2 - 3 weeks of each. The summers are insanely hot, but the winters are generally mild with a few days of freezing temps scattered throughout. This summer has been the hottest, wettest one I can remember so far!

We have Hurricane Season from June 1 to Nov 30, and anywhere along the Florida coast is subject to being hit, but Pensacola is at the top of the Gulf Coast and is a prime target. We don't worry too much about it, we just stay prepared all year long and make sure we had good insurance, which does cost more BTW.

But, we do have this (click twice to enlarge to full screen):

Pensacola Beach - 05.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz