Plunge Router Advice

Hey all,

I am looking for an affordable router to aid me in the construction of my rear storage box. I am on a college student's budget and all I need is something that will allow me to perform some basic functions, ie. drawer divider cutouts, rounding off square edges, etc.

I found this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RP250-4-Inch-Variable/dp/B000IEFIBO/ref=pd_cp_hi_3]router[/ame] and was hoping that someone with experience would tell me if it will meet these needs.

51B4QFRH2RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I found this one at Home Depot a couple years ago on sale and picked it up having used the same one at a friends shop before. It works great, has done everything I've ever needed it to. In my mind, the quality might be a little better and last a little longer than the Black and Decker. I think I remember paying about $70 for it and it looks like Amazon has refurbished models for [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Ryobi-ZRRE180PL-Horsepower-Plunge/dp/B001HTRTSE/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1303883760&sr=1-4"]$75[/ame]. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
West

Go to a pawn shop, garage sale or barrow one! Be real cheap. Hell the Harbor Frieght ones will do what you need. If you buy a good one it will last you a life time. Do you want to travel or have a nice tool?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Good suggestion ^^^. Also have you checked renting one? Probably not too big o deal cutting soft wood and/or ply but 1/2" shank is better. Bits will probably cost you more than the tool...

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
From your description of what you plan to do with the router it's not at all clear you need a plunge router. Certainly to round off edges you don't need a plunge router. Not sure what you mean by drawer divider cutouts, but it sounds like you may be talking about dados, which also don't require a plunge router.

If you can accomplish what you need with a fixed base router you might think about looking for fixed base router that is higher quality than the B&D. The plunge base complicates the router and definitely adds to the price. The Porter Cable 690 is a fine fixed base router that you can add a plunge base to later down the road.

If that doesn't fit your budget you might think about looking for a friend or neighbor to borrow the router from. Remember this adage: "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price."

Thank you everyone for all of the input. I can always count on you guys. And, thank you cnynrat, I was talking about dados, I just didn't realize that is what they were called. I have so much to learn still.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I'm no expert, but have to agree with cnynrat that the plunge part of a plunge router may be more than you need. What he said about the extra cost, but I would add that the extra complexity doesn't sync with low cost. In other words, if you need the plunge capability, then you'd be better off with a more expensive unit. If you don't, get a cheap fixed-base router.

If you need to start a dado away from the edge of the board, you may be able to set the router base on the wood at an angle, with the bit spinning in the air above the desired cut line, then slowly rotate the router so as to lower the bit into the wood. This may violate some of the safety rules in the tools instruction manual, so do so at your own risk. :)

I'm a cheapskate, but I personally don't borrow power tools very often. My personal ethos dictates that if I borrow something and it breaks, I replace it. Having borrowed and replaced a few power tools in the past, I would rather buy or rent.

I also disagree with the pawn shop idea. Seems everything I see in a pawn shop anymore has a new price on it. You used to be able to get good deals in pawn shops, but I just ain't seeing that any more. If you do investigate that route, make sure you know the value of the item you are considering, and be a tough negotiator. Take the attitude that the pawn shop has already made enough money on the pawn of the item before they decided to sell it.

Don't want to start a brand war, but IMHO Porter Cable is probably the top of the hobbiest market, and would get the best resale if you decide to go that route. I'd place DeWalt, Makita, and Ridgid on tier two, and Skill, Black and Decker, Ryobi, etc. at the bottom of the list.

You might try craigslist and stuff too. Might even be able to find a used pro quality tool at a good discount.

r_w

Adventurer
I too am generally against renting tools. My philosophy is if you need it once, you'll probably need it again.

+1 for small tools, anyway.

A backhoe or bobcat? yeah, rent them. A drill or router? no

Usually 2 days rental will BUY you a reconditioned tool of equal/better quality. A week's rental will buy NEW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online