Please talk me out of my irrational desire for a Disco

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Another 1k mile trip- the first one using as a hauler for the little bike to a dual sport ride. As to be expected, it’s slow and gets poor economy, but it was flawless. I got back late on Sunday and had work on Monday, so I took one of the other cars as I was exhausted. After work on Monday, I scrambled to get it unloaded so I could drive it to work today.

I’m really having a blast with it.

Attachments

• B0B6168D-677F-48F3-A152-2B8E2017D53D.jpeg
    B0B6168D-677F-48F3-A152-2B8E2017D53D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 62
  • FE816C8A-5A3E-431E-BBA1-3401F613E1C4.jpeg
    FE816C8A-5A3E-431E-BBA1-3401F613E1C4.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 60

krick3tt

Adventurer
You are truly fortunate that you can leave your things out and come back and they are still there. Wouldn't want to do that where I am.
Great trip.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
The D1 was my first and favorite of all the LR's I've owned - RRC, P38, LR3, D2 - and this is the third one coming into my possession after my 95 5-speed and a 97 300 TDi imported from Japan. After I sold my LR3 last December and bought a Cherokee Trailhawk, I did miss having a LR. Most here in Ontario have seen too many salty roads so this 98 LSE came from Saskatchewan and the worst rust is from stone chips above the front windshield. It does have some steel/aluminum issues on the doors but my plan is to keep this one a long time and slowly work on it bit by bit. Right now, it's in storage for the winter. It's not going to see road salt again if I can help it. The old tank puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.
LR LSE.jpg

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Nice KTM. I've got a 500 exc-f. Looking at a hitch setup for my Disco.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m using an ultimate mx hauler. I totally love it as it makes loading and unloading a total joke. It’s not rock solid stable, but I’ve done total of around 10k miles with it between the Disco and Jeep.

IMG_2270-X2.jpg

IMG_3565-X3.jpg

I also love the RFS- way more capable than me, but I have a bunch of different setups for it depending on conditions from tight single track to high speed and distance in the open desert.

Back on the Disco, I’ve done a few more upgrades and changes to it since my last update.

Oil pressure gauge:

IMG_3682-X2.jpg

The cool part about the oil pressure gauge is that I found a plug under the dash to provide switched power so I didn’t have to do a splice or a fuse tap or anything, so it’s factory clean.

A few LED lights in some important places.

IMG_3747-X2.jpg

IMG_3745-X2.jpg

I also finally put the sticker in for the CDL. I don’t know if I mentioned, but one of the really cool things about it was that the light just comes on the dash with zero wiring. I thought that was hilarious.

IMG_3744-X3.jpg

I didn’t take any pics of it, but I decided to go ahead and add the chicken coop flooring to the front of the rack. MAN that makes things easier to load. I got a few of some tie down things from Harbor Freight and have it all set up to strap all the front stuff on. SOOOOOO much easier than before.

IMG_3340-X2.jpg

I guess the last thing I added were the front and reverse lights on the brush guard and top of the rack.

IMG_3332-X2.jpg

And this was deployed on the last trip (turns out it was at a baseball field in the middle of Pahrump- very annoying as I’m used to camping in the desert).

IMG_3586-X2.jpg

roving1

It's harder to talk someone out of a Disco.

I wanted a Defender 90 or 110 for the longest time. Until I sat it one. There is no room and you are smashed over towards the door. Sitting in the rear the seats are too high and goofy. That was it. Just like that I realized I would never own one.

Luckily I had friends with constantly broken Discos that took that urge away too.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Well, I’ve decided to get something with a warranty and as the Disco is low man on the totem pole, it must go. Here is one of the ads for it:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles