Please talk me out of my irrational desire for a Disco

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Yeah, they all seem pretty cool. Definitely enthusiasts, but logical in hat they know what they are dealing with. As in many rather entrenched enthusiast oriented machine forums, there is a bit of an expectation that you do your homework and don't ask dumb questions without researching first- kinda how I like to think I conduct myself, so I feel a little like I fit in.

I'm still convinced I have a supremely cool machine and am looking forward to resolving all the little things. First order of business is a deep cleaning. There were papers from previous owners dating back to 2012!?!?!? Who leaves crap in their car that long? I'm basically going to disinfect and polish everything in the interior (about the only thing clean neat were the seats).

Once I get that done, I have a small list of parts to get from Atlantic British to finish of the interior (in addition to some junk yard parts to get) and I'll be pretty much done. I very seriously doubt much modification will be done for a good while other than probably a new head unit for phone and such. Then I'll just enjoy it for a while and hopefully keep liking it as much as I have up to this point.

matches130

Organizer
Two best days of my life, the day I bought my Land Rover and the day I sold it! Good luck and enjoy it when it's running.
3f5b31319b167345dd649b07b4fa7805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I know what I'm getting into. This was not a practical purchase in many regards, but more of one of style and desire. I have a backup vehicle that is more capable and more reliable, so I don't care. It's a toy.

If I were to get an L322 as above, it would be a '10 or newer with a blower and the Jag drivetrain like my wife's. But I wanted a cheap toy to monkey with and have some decent versatility.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I've posted this to a Disco specific forum, but thought you guys might get a kick out of it as well.

I thought you guys might get a kick out of my progress. To say the least, my joy with the machine has not diminished and I'm still having a blast driving it. I baby it a good bit as I'm waiting for the weather to get a little nicer before I tackle a few more fixes and maintenance items.

From my list, this is what I've sorted:

- [ ] Sunroof shades- have the kit to fix- just waiting for it to get a bit warmer
- [ ] Radio- Replaced with a Pioneer head unit that has been great. The speakers sound REALLY good. No splicing, all correct stuff using- still need to program the steering wheel controls
- [ ] Armrest- bolt installed and works perfect
- [ ] Glove box- I've had it out a couple times and have a new latch, but something is not letting it close- still to be fixed
- [ ] Wiper is reluctant- seems somewhat common, and I've gotten them to work as needed when needed, so not going to worry about it
- [ ] Rear wiper blade- I went high roller and even got this at the dealer
- [ ] Clock light- took 15 minutes
- [ ] Odometer light- another 15 minutes (Atantic British sent me the wrong one, so I just got it at the dealer)
- [ ] 3 amigos- "option B" completed by GBR as well as a wheel speed sensor (solder in type)
- [ ] E brake light- this went off, but I disassembled the lever, lubed, and pried the seam to get it to work and the clicker to catch correctly and all is well and it works perfectly. Also replaced the E brake boot.
- [ ] Check engine light- one was the amigos, but still sorting P1117 (just started a thread on it)
- [ ] Air bag warnings- has not come on again and I thought it might be the clock spring, but as it has not come back, I doubt that's it, so I'm calling it a day
- [ ] Fog lights attached correctly- waiting for the warmer weather to mess with this
- [ ] Vibration from 60-65- U Joints are all good and the front is a greasable unit so I think this might be the front shaft needing to be balanced (GBR agrees)
- [ ] Rear view mirror toggle to temp- non issue as it was an electrical glitch from a mirror used in multiple vehicles- temp come on in the HVAC display as it's supposed to
- [ ] Rear step- just the strut needs replaced and I have the part, but am again waiting for nicer weather to replace
- [ ] Tranny will not manually go into 1st- I think I replied on this one, but a penny was caught in there and all is well now

I've completed a good portion of my full cleaning and the truck is still pretty nice once I got the gunk and junk out of it (who leaves papers from 10 years ago in their car????). I mean some of it was rather gross and I used a combination of a number of cleaners, brushes, rags, and wore gloves when doing it all. No more musty smell and it looks pretty nice now.

Other fixes not listed above:
- added the 2 additional hood bolts that were missing
- one of the headlight covers was missing
- fixed (replaced the clip) the fuel door mechanism
- cooling system flush with a new radiator and 180F thermostat and temp switch

I still have a few cosmetic fixes to do like the vents with missing adjusters, the B pillar that was cracked, stuck rear cup holder and a few other bits, but I'm getting there. I'll need to pull the rack and tail light guards and sand them down and paint this summer. I have most of the necessary replacement parts, but as it stands now, I'm just about to where I'm happy.

The last appreciable and functional bit to get fixed is the cruise control. I've tested the plenum, the motor, the lines, and all the other typical sources, but all of that is good. I think my next step there is to break out the meter and check the main computer as well as the steering wheel controls (the light on the cluster surround comes on).

I really do enjoy driving it and don't regret a bit taking the plunge. Thanks to a bunch of guys here for getting me rolling.

MLu

Adventurer
Hah, yeah... that's the way it looks if you write it all up. That glove box was the thing that made me realize that this ain't no BMW. It can be adjusted at all corners and it won't stay shut until you get it just right.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Hah, yeah... that's the way it looks if you write it all up. That glove box was the thing that made me realize that this ain't no BMW. It can be adjusted at all corners and it won't stay shut until you get it just right.

Hmm, on the glove box, could you elaborate a bit? I didn't see any adjustments- just the 4 bolts holding it at the bottom.

MLu

Adventurer
"Adjusted" is maybe too fancy of a word to use in this instance, and it's a while since I messed with it, but; when you take it out, you'll find that there's quite a bit of wiggle room as to where exactly the whole assembly finally rests when you tighten down the screws. It took me a few times and a lot of cursing to get it just right. I even had an LR mechanic look at it while they were doing something else, and they pointed this out. In my case, I got a new latch but it turns out it was just a question of orienting the whole thing just.. so.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
"Adjusted" is maybe too fancy of a word to use in this instance, and it's a while since I messed with it, but; when you take it out, you'll find that there's quite a bit of wiggle room as to where exactly the whole assembly finally rests when you tighten down the screws. It took me a few times and a lot of cursing to get it just right. I even had an LR mechanic look at it while they were doing something else, and they pointed this out. In my case, I got a new latch but it turns out it was just a question of orienting the whole thing just.. so.

Yeah I've read that. One of the cosmetic fixes still to be done is the kick panel that goes below the glove box that was missing from when the heater core was replaced by the PO- I am starting to think this might have to do with a proper gap at the bottom getting the box to fit correctly. My issue is not closing, it's that it won't open based on the fit being off and the latch getting stuck pretty bad to the degree that there is a gap and it feels like there is something behind the box preventing it from closing all the way. I'm going to get that lower cover and put it in and the start again. I really don't use the glove box, so it's more of an aesthetic and just KNOWING it doesn't work for me. I'm kind of a nut job about things working, whether I use them or not.

The good news is that I'm still a good bit under my budget on what I wanted to spend for a good runner. If I decide to start to use it for mild off road, I'd probably end up about $1k over budget with getting a CDL, and possibly some bumpers, but I'm not thinking I want to do that until I'm a little further along in the relationship.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I thought I'd give a quick update to my experience if for no other reason than posterity. Well, it basically has been precisely what I expected: both fun and annoying. :)

Bottom line, my initial analysis and fears were fully justified and I still hold to the fact that the Discovery is a total piece of junk. But I'm just like the rest of the masochists and do still quite enjoy it. Why is it junk? Well, there are just so many "Roverisms" and other nonsense that continues to come up. Here are the especially amusing ones:

- Yep, the 3 Amigos came on. Why? Because I pulled out the battery to put in new battery tray. I finally got a proper code reader and have another wheel speed sensor that needs replaced. The guys at Great Basin Rovers (whom I've almost become friends with) and I laugh about this one as Tom called it. I cussed him for it. :)

- On an especially hot day, I got in and no radio or HVAC. As I don't really care and just laugh about the stupid stuff that goes on with it, I drove for a bit and stopped. When I started it again, everything came on like nothing happened.

- I went to go pick up one of the kids from school, got the chimes and then when I went to turn the key, everything went DEAD. And I mean like I pulled the battery out dead. This is just a bad ground, but kinda funny as well.

- Every now and then the left channel speakers stop working. How do I fix it? Put it in Park and they magically come back on (this has happened 3 or 4 times).

These are the funniest to me. Of the list above, I've since replaced the fan clutch and the upper coolant temp sensor to try and kill the P1117/P1118 code that toggles. No dice. I've ordered an OEM one as a last ditch effort prior to digging in real deep to resolve. Here is the funny part: the OEM sensor has 4 pins, yet only 2 wires plug into it. That's just stupid design, yet comical to me.

I did my second oil change and it used about 2 quarts of oil over just over 3k miles. It now has 150k on the clock, so I'm not getting riled up about it, but I've never had a car use so much oil. Since they hold 7 quarts, I'm not getting riled up about it since some of it is due to the leaks that are a wild goose chase to resolve.

The cooling system is holding up relatively well and I can't fault it much as it's been around triple digits here for the last 2 months. As long as I don't have to idle for more than 5 minutes, it stays to plenty acceptable temps.

Bottom line, no regrets and I'm still at the budget I set for it at purchase. Every now and then I'd have visions of "building" it up a bit and doing some fun stuff, but logic prevails and I enjoy it as a minivan and hardware store runner. The 7 seats have come in handy a number of times and both AC units work quite well, and it hauls a lot of stuff. All of that local of course and I don't think I'd take it on a long trip for no other reason than economy. I've yet to break over 13.5mpg with it. The Jeep doesn't do that bad unless I go 80 mph with the rack and roof top tent on it with the dirt bike on the hitch carrier. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've revved it over 3k RPMs I drive like such a grandma with it.

It's a fun toy and I can now say I've scratched the itch. My wife even enjoys driving it. She likes that she is forced to go so much slower and enjoys the view out of it. The kids of course like the sunroofs and the third row seats as well. I'll keep it for a while longer and have some fun, but most likely this will not be a long term vehicle, regardless of how cool it is. I simply desire more power and economy (again, my wife's 500+ hp machine gets a good bit better economy) and frankly, less "well, I wonder what's going to be wonky today". Someone will get a well sorted machine that will be just as good to them as it has been to me. I'll take a total bath on it, but I knew that going in, and I'm OK with losing a couple grand for the experience.

Hope some folks get a chuckle out of this...

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
In typical Rover fashion, I've decided to give it a second chance... As I got a good code reader a while back, I can read and clear the oem specific codes and was able to determine the 3 Amigos were due to yet another wheel speed sensor. I finally got around to replacing it and here was my reward:

IMG_1673-L.jpg

In an attempt to help the community, both from the WSS's have been replaced CORRECTLY by wiring the new one all the way to the plug under the dash and soldering in a few inches from the connector. This really wasn't as much of a bear as I thought it would be, so I shouldn't complain. Aside from breaking the glove box upon reinstallation (it was already messed up so no big loss), this was a real win of a repair.

Oh yeah, I tried to replace the upper coolant temp sensor again and was rewarded with the SRS light coming on. It cleared, but still just another example of what junk they are. I still like it though. However the P1117 code remains.

Last things to do: rotoflex in the rear, new front u joint (it already has a new, rebuildable drive shaft), and I'm going to let Great Basin Rovers fix the last code, the cruise control, and the non functioning horn. This is out of lazy/lack of time more than anything.

At that point I'll have a fully functioning machine to drive for the winter. I'll reevaluate in the spring it's fate (probably kill it in the morning)

https://youtu.be/aHZGqBVBCRw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles