Please talk me out of my irrational desire for a Disco

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
here's what broke on mine in one year of ownership. It had 125K when I bought it, 165K when I sold it.

front hubs

abs sensors (ALL OF THEM)

Headgaskets

Driveshafts

many electrical issues

ACE

ABS issues

Air Bag issues

Emissions issues

steering parts wearing out

Transfer case leaks

oil pan leaks

transmission leaks

fuel pump

I'm sure there is more, but my PTSD will come back if I think about the pile of crap anymore.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Thus why the original post of the thread is so apt- I knew precisely what I was getting into. The mechanicals aren't end of the world bad, but the electrics are just simply pathetic. I'm going to enjoy it over the winter and hopefully it won't give me too many problems. It really is a fun vehicle to drive as you just feel like you are on a wild expedition somewhere when making a run to the hardware store. I've never had another vehicle feel like that. It's kind of like an old 911 with manual steering and the catapult clutch coming up from the floor. Even at regular driving speeds, you feel like you are driving a race car due to the visceral nature of the experience. The Disco does that in an expedition kinda way. We'll see what the coming months have in store.

Stay tuned for the next episode of “When people buy classic Land Rovers”: a reality show about the masochistic relationship that is old Rover ownership.

PeterN

Observer
I LOVED my 2001 Disco but it was a cruel mistress and I've moved on.

Purchased without an inspection (or much knowledge about vehicles in general) for $5k with 100k-ish miles. My bad.

Coming back from 2nd long distance trip to the Black Rock Desert "Check Engine": Cracked Cylinder

"New" rebuilt Top Hat liner engine from Atlantic British installed by a very reputable Rover mechanic in my area: first trip on dirt after break in and catastrophic coolant system failure, bleeder valve failed and blew all my coolant.....thank god for premium AAA....250 mile tow.

Ignition security system gremlin: died in drive-thru line at Taco Bell. Had to push the thing and steer by myself wearing flip flops. Flatbed recovery

Intermittent Tres Amigos/ABS sensors

When does a Land Rover stop leaking oil? when there is no oil in it. Constant leaks.

Head gasket failure within 20k miles on new engine (possible block/head warpage from coolant system failure event)

Head gasket failure within 2k miles of new gasket job.

Adios, see you all in the Land Cruiser section. Let's hope my luck doesn't follow me there.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
very reputable Rover mechanic in my area

first trip on dirt after break in and catastrophic coolant system failure, bleeder valve failed and blew all my coolant.....thank god for premium AAA....250 mile tow.

When does a Land Rover stop leaking oil? when there is no oil in it. Constant leaks.

Head gasket failure within 20k miles on new engine (possible block/head warpage from coolant system failure event)

Head gasket failure within 2k miles of new gasket job.

Please name and shame because that does not sound like a reputable Land Rover mechanic.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
They're cheap to get into and if you can work on them yourself, maintaining one isn't that difficult or costly. Just do it

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Yeah I'm hoping it won't start having some of the phantom issues as listed or some of the other silliness. I think I'd like to find a spare engine and put it on a stand and build it over time as a spare/backup. I used to want to have a really nice one with a perfect paint job and interior. Now, I'm starting to appreciate some of the mild "patina" this one has. Once I get all systems fully functioning, it should be a fun machine to cruise around in.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Well, we did a couple family outings in the Disco over the weekend as opposed to one of the others in the fleet. It really is nice to drive and kinda fun. The roof rack makes a good bit of noise, but it was able to cruise at 70-80mph with relative ease for a couple hundred miles as a whole. The brakes (despite being cross drilled rotors and high roller pads in great shape) are still pathetic and it is still really slow, but I don't push it- much to the chagrin of the absolutely amazingly oblivious simpleton drivers in Utah who are the worst I've ever seen in all my travels.

In any event, I've come back to thinking it's kinda fun and want to keep it for a while even as more than a toy. Here is the thing: the utility really is great and hard to argue with when you compare what it would cost to replicate. We've carried hundreds of pounds of stuff on the rack, used all 7 seats, and there are a number of little things like nice places to store stuff when you go on little outings that make things more convenient. If I were to get a blown L322, it would rock but those are still $30k. If I decided to order a new Raptor, it would rock even more, but optioned how I'd like its ~$70k. If I blow up the Disco I have now, I can get a replacement for a couple grand and worst case get a new engine for a few grand or get a strong runner and transfer things like the rack over to a new shell.

I've come to realize why I was ticked off at it: time. When I was an E30 nut, I knew how to take apart and put most everything back together (including a good portion of engine stuff) almost blindfolded. However, with a family, time is dramatically limited. As long as I keep a back up machine I know I can count on, I think I can put up with scratching the itch for a while longer...

What you think life in your Rover will be...
View attachment 423014
What life in your rover will really be...
View attachment 423009

:lurk:

You need to change the "YOU/YOUR" to "ME/MY" cuz the rest of us are doing just fine! Your down and out Rover posts are getting quite old. Work on the truck or learn to and provide some quality feedback to what "YOUR" issues are on "YOUR" rig that "YOU" or "YOUR" hack mechanic are having!

OR, you can sell it dirt cheap to "ME" and "I'll" gaurantee "I" will be rolling dirty in that pig in no time flat. I'll give you what the insurance company gave me for mine as a buy back when they thought the motor was junk in the accident I had. Since you think its worthless, I'll give you salvage, non-running payout of $1800 right now for it........... If I can't get it running, I'll easily make the money back in what parts I'll have on the shelf from "YOUR" rig when I send the chassis out to scrap aluminum...hahaha

Rover on my friend, Rover on! :smiley_drive:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Victory if I didn't owe money on it is would already be gone. And I'm only down and out on modern Rover. Still love me some Series 1 Disco! It's a much better truck all around.

Man No one like to make fun of themselves any more... Way to serious about your jeeps guys. :oops:

Last edited:
Victory if I didn't owe money on it is would already be gone. And I'm only down and out on modern Rover. Still love me some Series 1 Disco! It's a much better truck all around.

Man No one like to make fun of themselves any more... Way to serious about your jeeps guys. :oops:

No chance man. We are all here to help and have humor. Don’t want to hijack the thread though. Seriously, I know that Rover will run with the right people on it. Any big maintenance adventure on here, make an email or phone call and the peeps on here will help for sure.

Best of luck.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
if I didn't owe money on it is would already be gone.

This is something the OP should consider. It never makes sense to make payments on a 10 year old luxury vehicle. I'm actually surprised that someone gave a loan to you for a vehicle that old.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
More progress this weekend, and then of course tempered by a fix that didn't do anything (as usual). I found a guy that literally has 6 or 7 Discos in his driveway/front yard right around the corner from me and picked up a bunch of little odds and ends for next to nothing (the glove box, front mud flaps, spare condenser fan, and few other doc dads). I fixed the glove box- that was my success. Then I managed to get the airbag off and replaced the horn buttons- they still don't work as well as the cruise control. So I'm thinking that this is related to something in the connection of the harness to the steering wheel. Eh, you win some and you lose some. I'm taking it to GBR in the morning to get the things listed above sorted (may even get hyper lazy and have them do the U Joints in the front shaft and rotoflex as well) and then it should be all good.

Of note for utility and comparison: we had family in town this weekend and I picked them up from the airport in the Disco. So a total of 3 adults and 2 small kids and a train load of luggage. We had to use the 3rd row seats and even strap a couple suit cases to the rack up top. It was great. It showed again that it really is a decent machine for utility.

Then, taking them to the airport today, our family wanted to see them off and we needed 2 cars to do that, so we took my wife's RRS and the Disco. I drove the RRS to the airport and the Disco home. They are very different machines, but I didn't feel like I was downgrading too terribly (other than performance and quiet. I'm starting to like it more and more again. I'm still scared of it, but I'm having fun with little victories and looking forward to driving it this winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior