Platform Base For Expeditionary Land Rover - Maxing Out

maxingout

Adventurer
On my Defender 130 in Australia, I have Black Widow storage drawers that are awesome. The are strong, hold lots of weight, secure, and they keep out the dust. They were my first choice for drawers on my Land Rover here in the USA. Unfortunately, the drawers are not available at the present time in this hemisphere. I had to decide whether I would wait around for Black Widow to arrive in the US, or move ahead with something of my own design.

I created a platform that went from wing to wing on the Land Rover, and it also went forward on the left side to replace the 40% seat so that I would have a convenient place to locate the ARB fridge from Sierra Expeditions.

Platform 1.JPG

I built the platform in two pieces of birch plywood joined in the middle and supported by a vertical plywood support. I used aluminum angle to support the floor where the two halves of the floor came together.

Platform 3.JPG

I covered the floor with carpet, and I used the existing holes in wings to attach the plywood platform to the interior of the truck. I did not drill any new holes in the truck to attach the platform.

Tuffy 3.JPG

The front edge of the platform extends forward with storage underneath.

Under the platform, I placed 4 Stackers for storage of gear.

Platform 1.JPG

The fridge goes on the left side of the platform in the place of the 40% seat. The chuck box was bolted to the floor to securely hold it in place.

photo[1].jpg

Platform 4.JPG

Now that the platform is intalled and the fridge and chuck box are in place, I can complete the interior modifcations of the back of the truck. I will finish the interior around the fridge and chuck box. It's good to have those major pieces of the puzzles complete so that I can figure out the shape and location of other pieces of the expeditionary storage puzzle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke