Plates, bowls, ect

paulj

Expedition Leader
durango_60 said:
I picked up a great nesting Lexan set(4 plates, bowls, cups, and serving dishes) by GSI on steep and cheap last year and they are fantastic.

GSI also distributes plastic dishes that are lighter, cheaper, and more flexible. They are also easy to clean.

I have a set of those bowls and cups. For plates I am currently using aluminum ones that nest nicely below my stove set (about 8"diameter). I initially bought one of these plates to serve as a fire proof base for my alcohol stove set, making it safer to use it on wooden tables. Since that worked well enough, I bought some more to use as dining plates.

I've choosen things like this based on packability, ease of cleanup, durability, cost, etc.

Superu

Explorer
Sporks and target trays

We use Snow Peak titanium sporks and plastic mess trays from Target. Three small sections and one large.

211b6b4.jpg

alyarb03

Stock-your-home-50-Plastic-Bowls-Set-e1543400014173-300x253.jpg
I am always using Disposable Soup Bowls for serving chilli, ice cream, soup or hot liquid. I am always ordered Plastic Bowls Set. It comes with 50 pieces and comes with different colors like gold, white, silver. It is reusable. It also saves the money and time. It is dishwasher safe and reused instead of throwing it.

CSG

Explorer
I use paper plates, plastic cups, and disposable flatware when picnicking, and almost always when camping. I suppose if I were on some long, actual overland journey, I *might* rethink that but I'm not wasting any more water than I have to to clean up. If it was me who pushed the planet over the edge, sorry, my bad...

J!m

I have an eclectic collection of all sorts of stuff. Generally, when we finally get around to eating, it’s just a matter of ingestion with the least waste.

I had cows liver cooked over a burning trash can served in yesterday’s newspaper. (Hunger is the best seasoning)

But, I do have a (German I believe) military mess kit- stainless nesting knife fork and spoon that go into a can/bottle opener sleeve. It is awesome and I’m always looking for more of them.

J!m

That’s what I have, but not reproduction...

Either they copied the name too, or photo is of an original?

But it’s nice to use proper tools when eating.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Having recently (last summer) broken one of the, 10+ year old, square plastic (melamine?) camping plates; I figure on using standard Corning Corelle plates (break resistant) next.
I don't normally need a bowl but there is a stainless one in the kit.
Gave up on the breaks-when-you-need-it plastic (including Lexan) flatware and use cheap-enough-to-give-it-away Wallymart stainless flatware; 3-4 place settings fit in a soft fabric pencil case (cut the knife handles down).
The coffee mugs are double walled stainless.
Gave up trying to find GOOD enamel ware back in the 20th...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Thrift Store finds.
I can find whatever dishes I want and if it breaks I'm out a buck. I like plates and bowls that have some heft to them. Stainless tableware at 10¢ each; mix or match.

For water conservation: beagle prewash, rinse with spray bottle (filled with water, dish soap, and vinegar mix), wipe. Little water used. Paper towels work if you don't have a pup. Silverware, after licked clean, goes in an appropriately sized Nalgene wide mouth bottle with same water, soap, vinegar mix. Take out and wipe when needed again. Change water as desired; I usually go a week or longer and repurpose the water for other cleaning when changed.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Usually I use the german military mess kit flatware or the spoon that comes in MRE packages. For plates and bowls I use a metal plate with a paper plate over it (metal to strengthen the paper) and either an enameled bowl or a paper bowl. Really no washing involved, the paper stuff goes in a camp fire (if there is no ban) or in the Trasharoo to be disposed of later when a proper place is discovered. The real issue is what to do with coffee grounds. I tried instant (Nescafe) for awhile but it was rather insisted that I discontinue that route, by my travel companion, she does not like instant. Pots and pans come from sales at Bed 'n Bath or a thrift store. Non stick pans are great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles