Plastic tote bins with vertical sides?

DesertDreaming

I'm looking for storage solutions for our adventure trailer. I want to go with a "tote" system, with stackable totes that each fill a certain role... one for canned goods, one for dishes, one for tools... you get the picture.

But here's the catch: I want them to have vertical sides. You go to Walmart, Target, Home Depot, wherever, and they have tote bins that nest inside each other for shipping. The slanted sides are not a functional feature they are an economic one. And when you are storing items in a vehicle, they become completely impractical. First, items in the totes can't stack. If you get something stacked on the bottom, you will have space on the sides at the top, and any small amount of shaking will have everything toppling over. And if you have multiple totes sitting next to each other, they only share a small point of contact (the very top), and unless they are individually secured, they will soon be popping their lids off, and as they slide around and press into each other the plastic will start to deform.

Whereas if you have square sided totes, both of these problems are solved. You can pack bins to the top knowing that the contents will not budge. And you can stack totes flush on top or beside each other and know that your load is going to be stable and secure.

The only question that remains... does such a product exist? I am not looking to spend a fortune (which is why I'm not building shelves or cabinets), and I'll definitely get something cheap if I can but I'm willing to spend the right amount for a quality product. Any thoughts?

MotoDave

Explorer
Frontrunner boxes come to mind, though i wouldn't call them cheap.

We use these Uline storage bins at work, theyre cheaper per piece but i think have min qtys. I have seen some with lids, though maybe not anything that id consider really solid for use in a off road vehicle.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Most of the plastic bins that fold for storage are straight-walled as they don't need to nest for shipping/storage.
Just one example (not a recommendation for these specifically)

b.png

SAMPLES HERE

DesertDreaming

Fantastic ideas so far. This place is great.

Funny thing... I *have* some of those folding stacking bins. I have used them for static garage storage for things I only need to get to once in a blue moon, and they are great for that! The plastic is brittle however and they would not hold up one minute on the road, just to let everyone know, haha. There might be some other ones out there that are made better so I will keep an eye out.

*Love* the look of those Euro Bins. Having the right keyword for a search is everything these days. You put in a search and the algos are like, haha, no way this is what Walmart wants us to show you.

I will be highly considering the aluminum truck boxes for a tongue box, as well...

DesertDreaming

But can I find the Euro containers for sale in USA... No way am I having them shipped from Europe or UK.

[Edit]: Closest thing I can find here in USA are listed as "solid straight wall containers" available from ULINE or Global Industrial.

totes.png

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Yes, here they are commonly called straight-wall industrial containers or bins. My impression was that the shipping cost was usually pretty significant… likely for all the reasons that you want them!

llamalander

Stacking toolboxes are an option that comes with lids and handles and sometimes drawers and wheels if you want those too.

The DeWalt t-stak tool boxes are not a bad mix of price, durability and function, they are also sold a Craftsman versastack if you like red more than yellow. They get low marks as toolboxes because job sites are rough places, but for travel they can be more useful than the bombproof systems.

I think the Tanos (festool) boxes are better if price is not an issue-

Milwaukee has their pack out ystem and Bosch has interlocking boxes with clean rectangular insides.

Rigid has a line and DeWalt makes a heavy duty system

All of these stack reliably, are generally splash and dust resistant and can survive a hard life. Probably more expensive than the bins above, but many can be found in or ordered from big box stores to avoid shipping charges.

Koenbro

Milwaukee has vertical wall “milk crates” that lock when stacked.

3cd4c08a493258e5012b4b9920bec9fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

supdies

I bought a large & small sidio crate to try and so far they work well. I too was looking for vertical sides. The sidio crates have lids - although not 100% sealed/waterproof. They are somewhat expensive vs other options. The dividers are handy.

dstock

Explorer
I bought a large & small sidio crate to try and so far they work well. I too was looking for vertical sides. The sidio crates have lids - although not 100% sealed/waterproof. They are somewhat expensive vs other options. The dividers are handy.

I'm giving the Sidio crates a try as well. I like the dividers, the lids and with reversible red or black bottom liner you can actually see what's in the crate! LOL I'm using them inside our FWC Project M so they don't need to be 100% waterproof/sealed for our application. Will report back when we've gotten a couple outings under the belt with them.

kbroderick

Milwaukee has vertical wall “milk crates” that lock when stacked.

They also have drawer sets that can be accessible while in the middle of a stack. You give up the dust and weather sealing, but I'm a fan for tool storage. I haven't tried them in a camper / trailer / van setup, but I think the combination of sizes would work pretty well for a lot of uses. They aren't cheap, but if you want something that rugged, I think you're going to have a tough time getting substantially cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles