plasti dip

dcarlin

Another thumbs up on Plasti-Dip hood blackout concept

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/5373-05-Tacoma-Hood-blackout/page3?highlight=blackout

I've got over 4 months of use out of my dipped hood and it still looks exactly like it did the day I sprayed it. It's been through multiple washes, a fair amount of snow, and plenty of sand and shows no signs of letting go. Some things I've learned :

- Because it does have slightly more texture than a typical vehicle surface, it will hold on to contaminants (ie. bird crap, etc). I have settled on using dish soap and a wheel brush to gently scrub off whatever is stuck without catching an edge of the dip.

- I was concerned about how it would act in the cold, specifically whether or not it would shrink/expand when frozen and detach from the paint. After almost a complete Mammoth season, no issues whatsoever.

- While I don't yet have an overhead LED array, the difference this thing makes when driving the rolling 395 through the desert is worth the cost/effort in and of itself. The wife and I usually head out of San Diego at 2:00am to catch first chair and have always suffered the brunt of the oncoming truck headlights. I honestly noticed a huge difference in the amount of light being thrown through the windshield.

Have fun with the Dip... and don't forget to hit your spare shackles, shovels, etc. to help with the rattling and rusting.

dc

seanpistol

Explorer
- While I don't yet have an overhead LED array, the difference this thing makes when driving the rolling 395 through the desert is worth the cost/effort in and of itself. The wife and I usually head out of San Diego at 2:00am to catch first chair and have always suffered the brunt of the oncoming truck headlights. I honestly noticed a huge difference in the amount of light being thrown through the windshield

Good work. I'm originally from Los Angeles and used to leave for Mammoth at 3 AM for a pow day and be home by 9 at night. Good stuff!

Revco

Adventurer
Sprayed my steel wheels 6 months ago when the temps were over 100*, been through rain, mud, temps in the teens as well as a handful of trips to the self-service high pressure car wash where I deliberately spent more time on the wheels to see if they'd peel. They still look as good as the day I sprayed them. This photo is the day I sprayed them with black Plastidip...

IMG_20121005_180157.jpg

Can moisture get under the plast-dip? Has anyone had it on long-term (year+) and removed? Results?

I'm nearing a year, just now taking it off. I wish I saw this question before removing it, I would have taken pics. I installed my dip in the hot Texas sun ~100 degrees F. This is important because plasti-dip recommends room temperature application. So when dried, mine had a nice cracks under the foot pads on the side steps that later expanded. Though they looked like holes which water could seep in to, the "structural integrity" had held up due to the fact that it's almost like a wrap, so it's unlikely the dip will house water. I had the "holes" through rainstorms and snow falls; there's been nothing underneath.
-RFA

Remote

Observer
Some other uses.

Weatherproofing for under truck mounted spare CV shaft. I lightly greased the bare metal then stretch wrapped and "dipped". King Tut would be jealous.

CVDIP2.jpg

SHAFTBRKT0142.jpg

SHAFTBRKT0152.jpg

End treatment for syn winch rope chafe guard.

CHAFEEND.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Love it, great idea! Even some things stored internally get inundated with dust so I'll have to get some!

Some other uses.

Weatherproofing for under truck mounted spare CV shaft. I lightly greased the bare metal then stretch wrapped and "dipped". King Tut would be jealous.

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
Some other uses.

CVDIP2.jpg

SHAFTBRKT0142.jpg

SHAFTBRKT0152.jpg

End treatment for syn winch rope chafe guard.

CHAFEEND.jpg

Pretty ingenious ideas!!!

purdytj

seeker
I'm wondering if anyone can speak to the durability of plasti dip when over landing in the forest: does it prevent clear coat "pin striping"? Does the dip get pin striped itself (scratched or gouged out)?

IPA

Observer
View attachment 145515

Painting the center caps was my first experience and I found it to be a great one, and like the peel-it-off factor if I don't like it. I just wanted to break up all the silver and give the wheels a bit of a retro look. Works well with the retro black 'TOYOTA' logo I have on the tailgate now.

Where did you find that logo? I've looked all over for a TOYOTA or YO sticker for the tailgate of my Taco.......

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
I'm wondering if anyone can speak to the durability of plasti dip when over landing in the forest: does it prevent clear coat "pin striping"? Does the dip get pin striped itself (scratched or gouged out)?

Yes and no. If applied properly and you get a nice thick coat and you wont see a lot of trees or heavy offroad use, I think It'll be just fine. However It'll become a lot of maintenance if you're regularly battling tree branches. It'll start to peel in the areas that get hit heavily and takes a lot more time and effort than buffing and waxing to be redone properly. I personally (just how I feel) after dealing with it on a lot of cars would delegate it primarily to street use only and just dipping emblems or blackout spots on overland rigs. I would look into getting a wrap versus plasti-dip for an overland rig.

EDIT:
Also wouldn't hesitate to use it the same manner remote did. I have used to help coat the handle on various tools and what not.

purdytj

seeker
Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion. Just what I was hoping for!

Yes and no. If applied properly and you get a nice thick coat and you wont see a lot of trees or heavy offroad use, I think It'll be just fine. However It'll become a lot of maintenance if you're regularly battling tree branches. It'll start to peel in the areas that get hit heavily and takes a lot more time and effort than buffing and waxing to be redone properly. I personally (just how I feel) after dealing with it on a lot of cars would delegate it primarily to street use only and just dipping emblems or blackout spots on overland rigs. I would look into getting a wrap versus plasti-dip for an overland rig.

EDIT:
Also wouldn't hesitate to use it the same manner remote did. I have used to help coat the handle on various tools and what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles