Plano Ammo Cans (plastic)

fiddypal

Adventurer
Anyone else using these? How are they holding up?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-1312-Ammo-Can/23247620

Caught them on sale for 5$ each at walmart, had to go to 2 different ones because the shelves were wiped out of them. They fit perfectly on the sides of my bed storage area and have a rubber seal to keep the contents dry. I also picked up a "shotgun shell case" which was just shorter and fatter. I transferred my crappy harbor freight toolkit inside there so it would not rust in the bed of my truck.

Pretty good value if they actually last, guess we will see!

Attachments

• 20160730_160157.jpg
    20160730_160157.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20160730_160206.jpg
    20160730_160206.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20160729_204839.jpg
    20160729_204839.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 49

ZMagic97

Explorer
I have a few I've used around the house, truck, and garage for tools, supplies, gear..etc. Even in the Arizona heat they have been well worth the investment. Also, I like that Plano items are US made in Illinois.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have had a bunch of them for years. I use them mostly for temporary movement of tools and misc stuff when I need to go somewhere and don't want to take everything. They hold up pretty well, but are not as space-efficient as steel ammo cans. On the other hand, they are a lot cheaper and lighter.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Yeah the lid causes alot more bulk than the steel ones. But for the price you cant beat them! The shot shell cases are a little too wide to fit into my side storage bays via the top, the taller ammo cans just barely squeeze through the top which is pretty tight since its made from 2x4's. I also found i can hold 3 of these jammed in one hand, even loaded to capacity if you have a good grip its no problem carrying a few at a time.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I've used the metal ones to make into my emergency roadside assistance kits. One is a basic "every car" kit. The other adds in more complex emergency items for things that happen off road (radiator/gas tank puncture etc) or that can help you kluge together something to get you back to civilization. The small size and portability makes them great for sticking under the seat until needed (god forbid) or to move them to other cars if you're not in your own.

https://xterra101.wordpress.com/trail-gear/

Happykamper

Explorer
I like these, have a few for what they were intended for. But I guess the best part of this thread was the link to Walmart lol. I love reading Walmart reviews:) . The way they put two words together lol.

maktruk

Observer
a7143dcd48aec609679dfc093f37f458.jpg

Been there maybe 3 years now. Holds a myriad of items, including my tongue wheel, my flasher/steady jumper switch for the running lights, an adaptor if the trailer ever gets pulled by a 4-flat only vehicle, a few extra pins for the hitch latch, and a small 6" level

I got mine at HF. Likely more than $5, but not by much. Whatever it cost, it was worth it. I should go check WM for two more I'd like to bolt them to my bumper for dog chains.

Also, probably not Plano. I didn't know the USA made part, will look into that. I have two of their giant cases for recovery gear.

jwolfuo

Observer
I have a few of these as well. Got them at Walmart for $5/each. One holds: 2 d-rings, zip ties, gloves, ratchet straps, and some other recovery stuff. The other holds all my kitchen utensils, coffee, msr pocket rocket, lighter+matches, spices & creamer, gsi pour-over coffee maker, and filters. I plan on picking up a few more for further organization of my camp setup. It would be nice to find a good way to store multiple cans in a single box - each one labeled for a specific thing.

wagex

Adventurer
i have 3 of the plano brand ones and two of the ones from harbor freight they are damn near identical, though one will stack on the other but the other wont stack on them. i use them to organize small stuff such as tent stakes, and cordage bits in my small offroad trailer.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I just bought four more yesterday at WalMart. They also had some knock-off steel "ammo cans" for $12.83 and I grabbed a couple of those. They are a decent copy of mil-spec cans, but they look better and don't smell funky. And I don't have to repaint them.

fiddypal

Adventurer
I just bought four more yesterday at WalMart. They also had some knock-off steel "ammo cans" for $12.83 and I grabbed a couple of those. They are a decent copy of mil-spec cans, but they look better and don't smell funky. And I don't have to repaint them.

Are the rubber seals good on them? I took a quick look at one but it was incredibly light compared to the milspec cans I have so I questioned the quality. Then again I don't plan on flinging these off the back of a truck in a war zone so I don't need milspec thickness.

wagex

Adventurer
Are the rubber seals good on them? I took a quick look at one but it was incredibly light compared to the milspec cans I have so I questioned the quality. Then again I don't plan on flinging these off the back of a truck in a war zone so I don't need milspec thickness.

i seen a video review on them online and they are supposed to be pretty decent and the seal supposedly holds.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The gasket appears to be a different material than on the mil-spec cans, maybe a little stiffer than the originals. Cans are a tad lighter and the latches are easier to open, so seals might not be quite as tight, but seems adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94