Plano 1919 Waterproof Storage Trunk

SigSense

Adventurer
You two come in here just to whine within a healthy discussion about which you have nothing worthwhile to add?

I have no need for a Pelican case. Absolute waste of money for me to have that level of protection. Trash bags holding all your gear just make it more annoying to access and then still have to worry about holes/leaks. For $18 each, I essentially made my own waterproof cases that I can carry on the roof rack since I'm tight on space inside.

Feel free to troll elsewhere.

Who is trolling and whining? This subject is about Plano cases and their efficacy regarding being waterproof. It is obvious that they are not suited for some of the uses discussed. The standard is Pelican/Hardigg cases. It's like me saying.... "I want to kill a deer @ 500 meters but I don't want to spend the money on anything larger than a .22 caliber rifle."

These Plano cases are average protection at best. The interwebz has reviews of their cases. Here's a few reviews for your edification:

"It is a decent large storage box with a flimsy top. The top/lid actually was not even connected when I received it. I struggled with returning it but decided for the price I would give it a try. I was able to get the lid back into the grooves for the hinge but after doing that it was obvious that it could snap out easily. Overall it is a decent wheeled storage box and has a relatively low weight considering the large size. I think a purchaser better decide what exactly they will be using it for and how rugged a use it might endure. I can not see the lid staying put if this storage box was put in rugged or bumpy conditions. There would be no way I would use this if I was flying and storing this on an Airliner. For packing Christmas decorations you plan to use at your home each year it should be fine!"

"The new design on the xxl storage box is far improved from the old one. Sporting wheels for easier movement and stronger more durable latches. The one are that was ignored it seems in the design change is the hinge which is still plastic and week and in my opinion the only serious flaw in its design. I recommend this box for storage or shipping, but if a truly rugged container is needed you may want to look elsewere".

"For the cost I expected something more sturdy. This is a snap together, light gauge plastic. This would be ok for storing clothes in the attic, but not for tools or camping.

Purchased to use on deployment. Traveled to training in Florida en route and was cracked all the way from the wheel area to the back hinge. I owned this box for less than a week before it was completely useless. A box like this should at least be able to hold up to a single transit inside the United States if not a trip around the world. If you plan on buying this for a deployment or any airline travel, look elsewhere."

"Not a terribly sturdy trunk. Arrived with hinges unattached. While easy to fix, anticipate that hinges will always be a problem."

"Looks good at first, weak construction, flimsy, the wheels broke off on the first day of use which happened to be my deployment day, I only had some clothes and some snacks inside about 40lbs worth, rolled the box over an even surface 20 feet later the wheels stopped, the wheel axel is made out of plastic and it wore off in that short distance. The "handle" does not excist so is quiet unconfortable to move around. The hinge is plastic and quite weak, the top came off in the ends of the hinge a few times. NOT RECOMENDED FOR HEAVY PURPOSE, you can't seat on the thing."

"Just came in today. Recieved fast as usual. I got this for storing and securing items in my soft top Jeep ( 2009 JK ). THIS IS NOT A SECURE BOX for anything that you really want to secure and lock up. I love Plano products but I was thinking this box was of the formed hard plastice type like truck tool boxes, it is not. It is made of a thin wall plastic just slightly thicker than the clear storage plastic bins you stor things in and put in the attic. The hinges are plastic and just snap onto the lid which you can bend and flex with little effort with one hand or just a couple of fingers for that fact. I'm gonna keep the box anyway cause my wife will gripe about me buying something on line so I'll have to act happy about it cause it was a gift of which I picked out, not her.

It is a expensive attic storage box. If you wanted something to hold camping gear ( not heavy stuff ) and put in the back of your truck it would ok for that. It looks heavy duty on the pictures but they are very decieving. There is no tray inside for small items either. It does have a lot of room, I was able to put: 30 foot tow strap, electrician tool pouch, frog togg rain gear, hitch with ball, folding chair, camo blind, small shovel, various tools, rubber mallet and some other stuff."

I received this box a few weeks ago for my birthday, and upon opening it for the first time the plastic hinges came unaligned and I had to pop them back in place, which wasn't a huge deal but this happens frequently. The box was very roomy and I was able to store most of my camping gear inside. I was surprised to see how flimsy the plastic was, and while there are 4 places for padlocks along the top, it wouldn't take much to get inside. I took this box on a camping trip last weekend and the box did well in the truck, and the wheels worked well also. I continued to have issues with the hinges coming unaligned, and while this is not a huge deal and only takes a minute to fix, if not seen would make the box easier to get into while locked, and for a box this price it should be a little more sturdy. Also because the top is so flimsy it doesn't always allign well with the clasps on the front. Overall if this box is just for storage, I would highly reccomend it, however if it will take a lot of abuse I would look for something else.

"Comes unhinged very easily but almost impossible to re hinge.

All hinges are thin plastic & no metal.

Wheels take up interior space & its better off with out them.

Exterior Strap hooks are useless and just in the way.

Molded in grip/handles waste too much interior room.

Lockable on latch side but hinge is weak point so locking is useless.

Stacking feature does not work well.

Material is fairly thin & low strength, relies too much on shaping for rigid form.

Latches come open too easy.

Best for low use storage or just remove lid & use it as a SUV/Storage organizer.

Dimension given are off as most interior space is wasted, best assume a loss of 4inchs on all measurements interior.

Found better stuff @ big box stores for less $$$$"

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding...MXY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_2?pageNumber=2

Hope my research is considered "worthwhile" to you. If you need me to do anymore for you, let me know.

trentor

Nomad
Go back and read the thread. This is not a Plano vs. Pelican thread. No one is under the delusion that these Plano cases are anywhere near the protection level of Pelican. This conversation is about storage and waterproofing, not ultimate protection. That review isn't even applicable to most of the comments in this thread. Also, "Found better stuff @ big box stores for less $$$$"?? Haha, that's BS. This case was under $12. Then another 7 or so if you want to waterproof it.

So yes, you're just being a troll, whether you realize it or not.

For those who care and are contributing positively in here, I've spent the past 4 days camping and off-roading through the mountains in Ouachita National Forest in almost constant rain. The cases I posted with the seals I added have been on top of the truck, strapped down with ratchet straps through everything from rocky and muddy logging roads, creek crossings, and 75 mph highways...all in the rain. The contents stayed bone dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgpoirier

Adventurer
I used 4 of the 1919 with my LB Tacoma as all 4 fit perfectly. Now I can only use three of them in the 17 shortbox.
I personally love the 1919, I had them in my mostly exposed bed, other than our RTT sitting above them, and never had any issues with water entering them or dust for that matter.
Each bin had its own use, which we felt made it easy to organize.
Bin 1: Both of our clothes
Bin 2: Non-perishable food
Bin 3: All cooking and eating related items including stove, and 10" dutch oven
Bin 4: Spare tarps, poles and annex for the Autana and awning

I've never had an issue with these bins, although I have never used any other large size bins to know the difference. Figured why change what works for me.

soonenough

Explorer
I personally love the 1919, I had them in my mostly exposed bed, other than our RTT sitting above them, and never had any issues with water entering them or dust for that matter.
Yea I have the non-gasketed version, and I've driven through a downpour, as well as and had them on an open trailer while driving down muddy roads after a rainstorm, to the point of the cases being totally caked in 6" of mud from the rear tires of the vehicle. In both cases I had zero water penetration whatsoever.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I buy the surplus medical storage cases from an on line company. They weigh about 30 to 45 pounds empty but you cam bash them and stack them to your hearts content and they stay dust and water free. At least 2 latches on each end and 4 on each side with a rubber seal and an atmospheric release screw for change in altitude. A bit heavy to be tossing on the roof rack but they work well in the open bed of a PU truck. Different sizes. Usually OD color.
There are so many options for storage that each person is going to (eventually) find their ideal situation. I appreciate the link to the ones at WalMart and for the price, that will be a great alternative to the heavy ones I get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior