Planning to sell my baby - my '92 in about a month - looking for opinions on selling

plh

Explorer
I plan to put my '92 up for sale around August 1. My daughter is moving to upstate New York for college and we don't need to have 3 daily drivers. She doesn't have the option of having a vehicle on campus until Senior year - 3 years away - so that is not an issue.

This truck currently has a bunch of accessories on it, and am wondering if it would more salable equipt as such, or pull them all off and swap over to my '93 which will become my new daily driver.

Looking for opinions from the masses - and thoughts on pricing. Here it is labeled as OPTION 1 & 2:

OPTION 1
’92 RS as it is today – expedition built:
Purchased: October 2012
Texas truck – I moved it to Wisconsin
Miles: 113,500 (my daily driver)
3.0l V6 – 5w40 Rotella T6 full synthetic (changed every 3k since I’ve owned it) No leaks, Uses none between changes
Battery: Sears Diehard Platinum AGM Series 27
Timing Belt, Water Pump, Idler, Harmonic Balancer and HB Bolt, cams and crank seals replaced 5k miles ago. Radiator flush and fill.
5 speed – V5MT1 – GL4 changed 10K miles ago
Transfer Case – GL4 changed 10k miles ago
Rear Differential – 9.5” ring gear & SR housing with 4.90 ratio – air locker, new rotors, pads, calipers, hard lines and hose. Mobile 1 – 2k miles ago
Front Differential – 8” ring gear & CAD delete with 4.90 ratio – Starion Limited Slip, Aisin Lockouts, new SR rotors, pads, SR calipers and hoses. Mobile 1 – 2k miles ago
Front Bumper: ARB with Warn HS9500 winch, Synthetic rope, Factor 55 Prolink, Custom Splice fairlead, updated to single contactor (solenoid) relocated under hood.
Lighting: Classic 900 series IPF driving lights
Rear Bumper: Stock – super bright LED reverse lights
Body: Rust Free – but has some bumps and scratches from being 23 years old and off-roaded occasionally (hunting /camping vehicle)
Frame – Solid, rust free, POR15 treated a few local areas. Fluid film sprayed every fall since being in Wisconsin.
Front Suspension: Rebuilt 10k miles ago as a PM. All Moog components– upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman are and upper control arms. KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. New wheel bearings /races and seals.
Rear Suspension: New bushings 2k miles ago. KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.
Surco ladder on rear door.
Wheels & Tires: 17” Toyota Steel (5). LT265/70R17 Falken Wild Peak 75% remaining
Front seats: Re-upholster 1 year ago with grey leather with seat heaters added, good firm foam, dual bouncies. Perfect condition.
Rear Seat: Re-Upholsted new 1 year ago grey leather good firm foam. Perfect condition. This is ½ of a 50/50 split from a Gen 2.5
Tunes: Kenwood AM/FM/MP3/Bluetooth/Pandora/iHeart with 6 Alpine Speakers in factory locations 1 year old.
Runs and Drives excellent and I’d drive it anywhere, and have.

OPTION 2
’92 RS upgrades removed – still a nice truck:
Purchased: October 2012
Texas truck – I moved it to Wisconsin
Miles: 113,500 (my daily driver)
3.0l V6 – 5w40 Rotella T6 full synthetic (changed every 3k since I’ve owned it) No Leaks, Uses none between changes
Timing Belt, Water Pump, Idler, Harmonic Balancer and HB Bolt, cams and crank seals replaced 5k miles ago. Radiator flush and fill.
5 speed – V5MT1 – GL4 changed 10K miles ago
Transfer Case – GL4 changed 10k miles ago
Rear Differential – 9.0” ring gear with 4.62 ratio “open” – Mobile 1 fresh fill
Front Differential – 8” ring gear with 4.62 ratio “open” – new SR rotors, pads, SR calipers and hoses. Mobile 1 fresh fill.
Front Bumper: stock
Lighting: stock
Rear Bumper: Stock – super bright LED reverse lights
Body: Rust Free – but has some bumps and scratches from being 23 years old and off-roaded occasionally (hunting /camping vehicle)
Frame – Solid, rust free, POR15 treated a few local areas. Fluid film sprayed every fall since being in Wisconsin.
Front Suspension: Rebuilt 10k miles ago as PM. Moog – upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman are and upper control arms. New wheel bearings /races and seals. KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.
Rear Suspension: KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.
Front seats: Brown leather power on DS, manual on PS – from ’95 SR.
Rear Seat: Brown leather full bench – from ’95 SR
Tunes: Kenwood AM/FM/MP3/Bluetooth/Pandora/iHeart with 6 Alpine Speakers in factory locations - 1 year old.
Wheels & Tires: 15” Mitsubishi White Steel (5). Dean 31R10.5x15LT Radial Mud Terrain STX - about half tread
Runs and Drives excellent and I’d drive it anywhere, and have.

IMG_20150621_180329.jpg

IMG_20150621_180353.jpg

IMG_20150621_181403.jpg

IMG_20150621_180644.jpg

IMG_20150621_180445.jpg

Last edited:
If it was me, I would keep the ARB bumper and any other nicer bits on the one you're keeping. I don't think upgrades really add too much to the value of these trucks like others such as Land Cruisers. Also, is that a rover discovery rear ladder? Are the license plate holes suitable for anchoring? Best of luck.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If it was me, I would keep the ARB bumper and any other nicer bits on the one you're keeping. I don't think upgrades really add too much to the value of these trucks like others such as Land Cruisers. Also, is that a rover discovery rear ladder? Are the license plate holes suitable for anchoring? Best of luck.

That is a Discovery ladder, I have one in the garage I plan to mount soon.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I would list it at $4,000 and wait for the right person to buy it at that price. Unfortunately all the work you've done to it and extra bits add very little value to a Montero. Want to trade for a Montero Sport haha?

PHeller

Adventurer
I'd fly and drive if I had more time off. We've got friends in Milwaukee. Maybe I could pay him to drive it...hmmm...

Crap, he can't drive stick. Damn'it Jeremy you girly man!

DSouth

Observer
I'd say option 2. Sell it as stock and transfer the parts to your new rig. I say this because the kind of buyers in the Montero world seem to be more do-it-yourselfers, then buy-it-built types of other brand/models. I think we all like to add our unique touch, and probably wouldn't pay extra for work that someone else already did. I know some folks here have bought mildly built rigs from other members, but then you are limiting your market. Either way, good luck.

plh

Explorer
what do you have on you '93 why not to sell it and keep '92?

'93 is basically a stock SR (see below). Daughter cannot seam to learn to drive a M/T and she has enough on her plate this summer. Need to have an A/T around that she can drive on the few occasions that she is home from college. I figured that if I sell the '92 I can regain focus on the '88

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94