Planning the electrical systems. Victron or Magnum Energy?

carnut1969

Looking at the Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120 or the Magnum MS2012 for the inverter/ charger. I like the hybrid aspect of the Victron but have found some used Magnum units for a good price and it seems they might be a better made unit?
I will have an Spod type switch panel and 2 100w solar panels. Will go with a matching solar controller to whatever inverter I decide to buy. Because I'm using a Honda EU2200 for portable power I the load assist function seems worthwhile although the Honda does start up a roof top AC and I could always add an easy start.

Really want the whole system to be clean, easy to install, easy to operate. Don't need a ton of features and probably will not boon dock very often. Definitely on a budget. I'll use the rig for getting places in comfort and family travel. I'll also use it to go to karting events and enduro events.

If you have any other suggestions I'll all ears.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Scholars differ. I own a 2000w Magnum and had a 2700w Magnum on my previous truck. With the remote control (get the "Advanced" model) the Magnum is wonderfully flexible - you can set up for just about any battery you can imagine, tailoring just about any spec you want. They can be throttled back to as low as 10A so you don't blow at fuse at Aunt Martha's or cranked up to 30A at a camp ground. Big dumb iron transformer is basically bullet proof. If you don't want an external battery monitor, you can add their battery monitor module. Naturally, they can go the automatic generator start, and battery boost when the genset can't keep up, but I don't know if you can wire that up with a little Honda.

Never heard anything bad about Victron and a friend of mine is going to OEM Victron in his camper.

john61ct

Adventurer
I'd say if lead bank used, Magnum for the ability to terminate charge directly off sensing endAmps spec has been reached

and maybe better reliability.

Victron's USP is big-system integration capabilities including FOSS support, and a wider dealer network.

I believe Magnum also has the feature set Victron calls PowerAssist? Fantastic if you need it.

Neither should be purchased independently of an experienced and trusted dealer for front-line support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online