Planning on full-timing in an Isata 5 28SS + 4runner

maxbergi

Hi Guys,

Talk me out of this idea. My wife and I are planning on living/working on/off the road for at least a year in 2021, we have discussed various different vehicles and options, but very close to pulling the trigger on the Isata 5 28SS with the Xplorer package.
My requirements are:
* Good bench/seat to work 6h a day from
* Enough space for a couple and a dog. Toilet/Shower
* Storage for toys (Kite/surf boards)
* Backroads capable
* Planning on going to Alaska/Baja

RV Isata 5 28ss
400Ah lithium
800 Watt solar
4 season, heated tanks, dual pane windows
4x4 on Dodge 5500

5ef08695561d8a343d58e8d6.jpg

Of course realistically this RV is not going anywhere crazy, I just want to get in and out of BLM campsites/forest service road camps etc. and the 4x4 should help somewhat in sand or snow. I've heard some people swapped it to air-suspension and super-singles in the rear, not sure if its worth going that route. Any little frame twist would probably destroy that thing.

I have a built overland 4runner, which we would use as a Toad and to explore further into the backcountry. Plan is to flat tow (with driveline disconnect), Toyota doesn't recommend, but its a 2014 so no more warranty anyway.

110211229_360070291649710_7598666204503075113_n.jpg

Other vehicles/trailers we have considered.

* A 1575 Lance or similar travel trailer towed by the 4runner (we would be pretty overloaded and the 4runner is already heavy with armor, roof-top tent etc)
* A Provan Bengal Tiger
* Revel/Sportsmobile or other Sprinter -(We currently have an old 2wd Sportsmobile, while we love it for 2-3 weeks at a time, its not practical to live and work from it full time. Only having one vehicle to get around also limits the amount of things you can do)
* Earthroamer (too expensive and also limited where it can go (size))
* Tundra + bigger travel trailer like a Lance 1685 (Probably my favorite other option, would have to give up my 4runner though)
* cheaper/older E450 RV (v8/10 gas is going to be awful for towing the 4runner)
* Build something custom on a 550 platform/Ambulance etc (while I'm ok with basic maintenance/modifications, the work that would be required is out of my league)

Thanks for the advice,
Max

jkam

nomadic man
Nothing wrong with what you want to do.
The Isata 5 you mention looks like a decent size to allow you to get places,
Should be able to bargain on one, I've seen some pretty good discounts on them.
I wouldn't do super singles but would add some better air suspension to lift it a bit.

2wheel-lee

I've been considering doing something similar. Though the ISATA 5 is on my list, so is the Thor Omni or Magnitude.
The biggest downside I see with these rigs is that they're not designed for boondocking. The refrigerator runs off the inverter off the batteries. In order to make this work without having to frequently run the generator, you'd have to have a larger solar system with improved/more batteries. It's all doable, but it is an extra cost and effort that has to be accounted for. And if you don't have sun, you're running the generator a lot. Instead of running the big generator to charge batteries, you could use a smaller Honda 2000/2200. This uses less fuel, a lot quieter, and you can "direct" the noise where you want to or away from others. I do this with our current toy hauler setup.

The other problem for boondocking is the relatively small water tank. Sure, it's the same as most any normal RVs, but not the 150 gallons I'm used to with my older toy hauler. We have a family of 5, so our camping limit is usually based on water. One of our last desert trips was about 13 days. Though since I'm riding dirt bikes, I shower every day.

If you do campgrounds with hookups a lot, these aren't challenges to be concerned with.

I haven't really looked into flat-towing yet, but we have a 2020 JLU Rubicon on 37s, so I don't know how well the tires will hold up under those conditions. Instead of flat-towing, I'm thinking maybe a flat-bed or enclosed trailer for the Jeep or all the motorcycles. This would also allow me to carry a couple drums of water and possibly extra fuel.

jkam

nomadic man
I boondock and we bring water to the RV's using a 150 gallon water bladder.
My buddys has and 85 gallon tank and mine is 60, so it fills both of us up to full from empty.
We use a Jeep Grand Cherokee and take the bladder to town and fill it at the gas station.
Then bring it back to our boondocking site and pump it into our tanks.
The Jeep handles the load fine.
Water bladder empty.JPG
Water bladder fillingG_0581.JPGWater bladder full.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online