Planning my Escape Vehicle - LC/LX470, GX470 or Tacoma

pdsftw

Adventurer
New to posting on this forum - recently posted pictures of my trailer build that will be complete in about a month: Utility Build

Here is the fairly brief backstory: I recently turned 30 and have been running my own business for about 7 years now in Texas. While I enjoy the work and want to continue to see the business grow, I also know I need to scratch an itch. I want to visit those places I read about every month in Outside, on the blogs, in this forum, etc. I realie there is an opportunity cost to embarking on something like this, but I feel that it's worth it. My plan is, that for the next few years (at least), I want to take regular 1-6 week 'sabbaticals' from work and pick an area to explore. I want to pack up all the stuff I love: my road and mountain bikes, my fly rods, my surf boards, my boats, my tent, boots, and anything else you can imagine, and head out without too much of an agenda. Move where the weather/interest takes me - be able to be flexible to extend or cut short trips depending on all the variables. I would bring along my phone and laptop to keep on some work duties as necessary (gotta keep the lights on back home, haha).

My ultimate goal would be to find a place/city/people that I really like, buy a few undeveloped acres and then procede to build or renovate a small, simple, clean house. Something I could get away to, or something that would be more permanent. While I dont have lots of overhead (not married, no kids, no mortgage), I do have a girl I love and want to share some of these experiences with her.

...so, on to the more technical of things - finding the right vehicle to kick this thing off.

So, what do I want from a vehicle?

- Be able to be a daily driver. I dont have a long commute - but I live in TX and 100+ degree days with no A/C or excessive road noise rules out a few rigs. To me, this basically means something from the past 10-15 years.
- Around town: I like to be able to put boxes/bikes/etc in my 4Runner - the back seats are rarely up unless I have to pick up extra friends, haha. The space of the 2010 4Runner has been fine and I think all the things I mentioned would work.
- Capabilities: I am not looking to crawl or so mega-serious stuff. I want to be able to get myself to some scenic places and then take out my bike or boots and get out there. Sure, I want to do some high mountain passes and I want to be about to get pretty far out there. Realistically, most new stock 4Runners, Tacos, FJs and LCs could likely handle 95% of what I am talking about. But I want something built tough and built so that I could have a good chance of getting myself out of trouble.
- Reliability: all the platforms I have mentioned are what I would consider reliable. They have their quirks from year to year, but I looking ot buy something that is fairly depreciated (ie, higher mileage) - dont mind doing regular maintenance, but I dont want to be doing heavy mods to keep it going (obviously this is often up to lady luck, but you get what I mean).
- Towing. I want to be able to tow the trailer I am building, which will serve as a base station for the adventures. I have yet to weigh it, but my estimate is that dry, it's going to weight in the neighborhood of 1500-2000LBS - I'll know more when I weight it after all the metal work is done in a few weeks. Add fluids, gear and sometimes a 400lb vintage xs650 scrambler build and you got some weight. Call it 3000lbs or so. That's not a ton of weight, but at altitude on a grade...you're going to notice it unless running a purpose build tow rig. Again, I am not planning on doing extreme terrain, but it is an off road trailer and forest roads, desert washouts and mountain passes will be encountered.
- Storage/Expo Rigging: I think all the vehicles I am looking at have enough aftermarket support and space to handle what I want. The GX would likely be the hardest to outfit, but there are overseas parts as it's on the 120 chasis and, as you likely know, called the Prado elsewhere.

Right now, I have a 2010 4Runner Trail w/KDSS, etc. It's a great tuck with a few mods and very capable on the sort of stuff I would want to do, but.....I am not sure I want to start hacking it up. It's pretty clean right now and still carries a pretty good resale value. For conversation's sake - let's assume I could get $30K for it...I could either add the $10K or so in parts i want to complete a build....or I could buy something used for about $15K-20K and then drop $10-15K into it. Effectively spending less out of pocket and on a vehicle that's already depreciated a bit more. I want to keep this car for a long time - but would plan on getting a stock commuter car should I remain in TX a few years down the road.

So, after all of that, would be great to get your opinion on what vehicle I should choose:

1.) 2nd Gen Tacoma - something like THIS rig would be awesome, haha. Nice storage, fairly good MPG, lots of aftermarket support, etc. Negatives would be fairly small cabin in comparison, smaller V6 - can anyone comment on how it would tow 3K? I know you can always drop new gears in there as the build in the link above did.

2.) GX470....man, I WISH I had been looking a few months ago, because that Bundu Gear truck is awesome. They have nice room, comfy drive, proven V8. Downsides would be the aftermarket support and the air suspension. There are bumpers and all that out there, but not as readily available as the other platforms.

3.) LC UJZ100/LX470: proven proven proven. Tons of knowledge and aftermarket support. Cons - heavy/big as hell - has the same V8 as the GX but tips the scales some 800lb more. Would make navigating small parking lots in town tricky, haha.

4.) 4th Gen 4Runner V8: I have had 3 4Runners and love them. My parents had a V8 4th gen and it has a pretty meaty engine that would tow fairly well. Decent aftermarket support. Cons: smaller cabin and out of the 4 listed...and I know this doesnt really matter, probably my least favorite aesthetically - though when fully built they can look mean.

For right now, I think that I can find and make all 4 types work in my budget (call it $40K max). Obviously the LX trades for more than a similar year Taco, but years/miles would vary to keep this build within budget.

Alright, if you are still reading...then thanks. If you have experience or want to chime in, then please reply.

Much Thanks!

bossman429

Adventurer
I would go 100 series or taco, Reason being is it sounds like you want to bring a lot of stuff and you'll need either the extra interior room or the bed of a truck to throw it in. With a cap on a taco(or any pick up for that matter) you could fit your surfboards, fly rods, anything long up on the roof and still have plenty of room for storage in the bed, and even make a very simple sleeping platform above some drawers. Not that you couldnt do this with a LC but youll have more legnth with a pick up and cap. The only downside to the pickup is you can't access your gear without getting out of the truck....which is the main reason I went with a LC but you may not have an issue with this...(my wife would have lol)

All the platforms you mentioned are reliable as all heck, and unless you plan on keeping this truck forever, I would agree sell the truck you have now and get something purpose built for what you want that's 10k cheaper. You can get a 100series with ~ 130-150k for less than 12 grand and then have plenty of money to dump whatever you want into it.

All the trucks you mention will handle a 3k lbs trailer fine. Just don't go crazy with the tire size or super heavy add ons and realize you won't be passing sports cars up mountain inclines.

daveyboy

Adventurer
If you are planning on needing a lot of storage/bed space AND want to tow, is there a reason you haven't considered a Tundra? I am obviously biased; me and my family love ours.

mph

Expedition Leader
If I was single....outfit Tacoma. Awesome! There is a sweet one in the for sale section now...buy that!!!! Thinking long term with a wife and kids...LC all the way!

pdsftw

Adventurer
If you are planning on needing a lot of storage/bed space AND want to tow, is there a reason you haven't considered a Tundra? I am obviously biased; me and my family love ours.

Yes, I have thought about that and I should look more into them. I am thinking it wouldnt likely fit into my 20x20 garage though. Not a deal killer, but still nice to keep it out of the weather.

pdsftw

Adventurer
If I was single....outfit Tacoma. Awesome! There is a sweet one in the for sale section now...buy that!!!! Thinking long term with a wife and kids...LC all the way!

I actually saw and talked to the seller of that Tacoma. The detail and extent of that build is unreal. He has a buddy looking at it tomorrow, but said I could have second dibs. Might have to book a flight to Bend, haha!

pdsftw

Adventurer
I would go 100 series or taco, Reason being is it sounds like you want to bring a lot of stuff and you'll need either the extra interior room or the bed of a truck to throw it in. With a cap on a taco(or any pick up for that matter) you could fit your surfboards, fly rods, anything long up on the roof and still have plenty of room for storage in the bed, and even make a very simple sleeping platform above some drawers. Not that you couldnt do this with a LC but youll have more legnth with a pick up and cap. The only downside to the pickup is you can't access your gear without getting out of the truck....which is the main reason I went with a LC but you may not have an issue with this...(my wife would have lol)

All the platforms you mentioned are reliable as all heck, and unless you plan on keeping this truck forever, I would agree sell the truck you have now and get something purpose built for what you want that's 10k cheaper. You can get a 100series with ~ 130-150k for less than 12 grand and then have plenty of money to dump whatever you want into it.

All the trucks you mention will handle a 3k lbs trailer fine. Just don't go crazy with the tire size or super heavy add ons and realize you won't be passing sports cars up mountain inclines.

Thanks for the input on this. I am leaning towards the LC platform. Tundra's have been mentioned but I think it would be just too big for a narrow drive way and with mods, wouldnt fit into my garage.

bossman429

Adventurer
Yes, I have thought about that and I should look more into them. I am thinking it wouldnt likely fit into my 20x20 garage though. Not a deal killer, but still nice to keep it out of the weather.

My land cruiser doesn't fit in my 20x20 garage...he'll my wife's accord barely fits. I wouldn't expect much to fit in a 20x20 especially with any aftermarket bumpers/tire carriers on it

Edit that is unless you park it diagonally lol

Kaisen

Explorer
Not really, especially when buying used and doing so on a budget.

If I had $40K to spend (or $30K, or $20K, or $5K) I'd see what my money would buy.

If I could buy a 2008 'X' with 60K miles for $20K, but a 2008 'Y' would have 120K miles for that same $20K, I'd certainly have to question whether 'Y' with double the miles was really the smarter choice.

Just asking. Different people have different reasons for making their choices.

peekay

Adventurer
The V8 is not necessary for your application. The 4.0 will tow your proposed trailer very easily. The 4.7 V8 tows marginally better, not night/day difference.

If it were me, it would depend on whether you have people sitting in the back seat. If you don't, my personal opinion is for the Tacoma with a shell. I have the same setup and you cannot beat storage in the bed/cap. It's sheltered but can easily be washed out. And you can still store stuff in the back seat for easy access. By contrast, if you need the back seat for people to sit in, then the Tacoma has a significant disadvantage in lack of cab space. Basically, the entire space will be used for sitting.

Whatever you get though, if you're seeking function, avoid getting a plate, ARB-type bumper. As someone who used to proudly sport a Prado bumper on my first gen Tacoma, those things, while functional, were ridiculously heavy! I ended up ditching the ARB for a well-made tube bumper and it was a tiny fraction of the weight.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I actually saw and talked to the seller of that Tacoma. The detail and extent of that build is unreal. He has a buddy looking at it tomorrow, but said I could have second dibs. Might have to book a flight to Bend, haha!

If I was looking for a turn-key expo vehicle; i'd be all over that Taco as the attention to detail on the build looks amazing. Any idea why the owner did not install a snorkel?

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94