Planning a restomod for a trailer my grandad built in 1955

Kevin108

Explorer
This trailer was originally constructed by my mom's father back in 1955. It had new lumber installed in about 1994 by my dad and uncle, and then my uncle used it around his ranch for the next 20 years. He passed away a couple years ago, and the trailer's been passed along to me. It hadn't been out of his yard in many years, and I wasn't even sure if the ancient tires would hold up at highway speeds for the brief trip from my uncle's place to my dad's back yard. I would have brought it home, but it doesn't have working lights and it was getting late. As of now, it's about 15 minutes away but I'm gearing up to bring it home and refresh it.

2015-10-25%2016.09.43.jpg

2016-04-04%2011.37.24.jpg

2016-01-02%2015.07.10.jpg

It appears to be an inverted Model A front axle, welded to track straight, and possibly built on a Model A frame. It towed like a dream and I had zero problems with the 30-minute trip at speeds up to 60 mph.

First I'm going to sandblast the rims, get some new tires on it, and install new lights. Getting it rolling and legal is my first objective. My wife and I both have SUVs and could really use a boxed-in trailer like this for moving furniture and materials for our business.

As for the future, I've not decided if I'll just rebuild it like it is now or if I want to swap in solid sides and make a cover. Sealing it up and securing it would be fantastic for what all of us here long to do more of, but it may be more versatile if left as an open trailer. Any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. I know this is kind of an oddball, but with the history, it's hard not to be excited about.

2015-10-25%2016.18.21.jpg

Kevin108

Explorer
Thanks! Anyone have a good link for a design on building a waterproof lid? I have lots of ideas but don't want to waste time reinventing the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94