Plannerman's 2010 Tacoma

Uglyduck

Adventurer
I tow a small trailer off-road and have hauled 350+lb power tools with little sag in my 07' DC Dakar equipped Tacoma with a shell. The springs are only a year old and I rarely put over 300lbs in the bed. It really depends on what you plan on putting back there but for they've been fine for what I've used them for.

Last edited:

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I'm still navigating life with and without a shell. Occasionally, the truck gets loaded to the gills on long trips. It's also frequently loaded heavy with bales of hay or the like. It's also a daily driver/commuter. It's the range of uses that has me second guessing the extra leaf. I guess I am trying to decide whether the ride will be acceptable for those times when empty. Probably will go with the extra leaf while I have everything apart

Sent via fat thumb

Uglyduck

Adventurer
You've got some heavy duty needs, even if on occasion. Plan for the worst case scenario. No harm in adding them now, you could decide to take'em off later if they don't suit you. When I added the Dakars they felt more "sure footed" but I wouldn't describe them as stiff.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
A question for anyone with experience installing new leafs: about how long will it take? Any pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks!

Sent via fat thumb

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
If you have all your stuff together you can knock out a leaf pack install in an hour. Biggest thing is make sure your jack stands can hold your truck high enough that you can get the axle under the new leafs.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Springs are in! The job took about 1.5 hours. I ended up leaving the add a leaf out because of concerns about shock length. Low and behold, my current shocks are short even with the medium pack. I'll have to remedy that.

Pics will follow later.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Crisis of Intent

A few things have happened in the last month causing me to question my original build direction. First, I've dumped my SnugTop Rebel. The shell was designed with an overhanging lip to help prevent leaking and improve aesthetics. This lip extends across the front of the bed, under the window. When I had the truck cross axle, the shell would bump against the bottom of the window. I tried adjusting the position of the shell and it went from no bump to the back window not sealing against the tailgate to a disappointing combination of rubbing against the back window and not quite sealing against the tailgate. I found this unacceptable. I queried several other owners and found my situation was unique. So I approached SnugTop. Their solution was to loosen the bed bolts and move the bed back far enough to prevent rubbing and shared that this would be a common solution for getting their product to fit a Tacoma. I felt that modifying my vehicle in order to make their product their work was also unacceptable. I was also disappointed to find that the shell did almost nothing for dust protection (partly due to window issue and partly due to need to seal bed and tailgate. So the shell got sold. I have not fully decided whether to replace the shell with another brand.
If I don't replace the shell, much of what I was planning for storage and such changes. For example, I will no longer need a rack or bumper gate to carry my jerry cans. I also had a chance to hang around an ARB bumper a few weeks ago. I was surprised (and disappointed) to find that, in real life, the thing is massive. And heavy. This was especially disappointing because I had cash in hand and was ready to buy.

I am finding myself in this odd position of desiring a few additional upgrades, but not feeling great about the options in front of me. The first is a desire to add a winch. I have looked at several hidden winch systems and don't love any of them. Partly this is because I don't love the limited options for mounting auxiliary lighting. So winch + auxiliary lighting + front recovery points = new front bumper of some kind (generally). I have looked at a couple of hybrid bumpers (CBI, Total Chaos, etc.) but none seem just right. The truck currently runs and handles very well and I feel that adding a new front bumper puts that at risk. Maybe this is a gamble I'll have to make for a winch.

Second is protected sleeping. The shell was a bit of a bust so I am now considering a RTT. Would it be better to mount this over the cab or the bed?
Third is rear end protection. I had been planning on a Kaymar rear bumper because it would maintain towing capacity and provide me with the option of adding a tire gate and fuel can storage. No shell means I can carry the cans in the bed. Perhaps, then, this bumper will be overkill. And, if I am not going to add such a bumper, maybe I should then spend the money on an extended range tank and no longer worry about cans (kind of like this idea).
Finally, skids. I have a trip planned for the spring and mid skids are necessary. I am waiting to figure out the front winch/bumper approach before I answer this one.

Overall, I guess it is safe to summarize the challenge as thus: A slightly modified Tacoma is extremely capable and, aside from a few details, completely meets my needs. I suddenly find that I've moved from plotting cool, perhaps unnecessary upgrades (which is certainly a fun part of this hobby), to not wanting to mess up a good thing and I'm asking myself, “Well, now what?” Maybe I'm suddenly really picky or maybe I'm having a hard time letting go of the mod part of the hobby.

seanpistol

Explorer
Have a bumper fabricated exactly as you want it. I bet you could have it done locally for what an offering you could purchase online and have shipped to you would cost.

What about a used pop-top camper for the bed?

zscott

Adventurer
I would do the roof top tent over the bed as low as possible without sacrificing storage. I can tell you that over the shell is nice for the height and ability to use an annex but you will feel the weight up there on turns and off camber situations. Over the cab will have similar results not to mention the aerodynamics will be sacrificed. I like my roof top tent best on a bed rack or a trailer.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Have a bumper fabricated exactly as you want it. I bet you could have it done locally for what an offering you could purchase online and have shipped to you would cost.

What about a used pop-top camper for the bed?

I'm going to look into a custom bumper. Can't believe I hadn't really thought about this before.

I've also looked into pop-top campers, but haven't found any used yet and don't have the wallet to afford new.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I would do the roof top tent over the bed as low as possible without sacrificing storage. I can tell you that over the shell is nice for the height and ability to use an annex but you will feel the weight up there on turns and off camber situations. Over the cab will have similar results not to mention the aerodynamics will be sacrificed. I like my roof top tent best on a bed rack or a trailer.

This is good feedback. I've also been debating the durability of the roof vs the bed for carrying the weight. Any thoughts or experiences?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
60K Mile Rancho Suspension Update

After nearly 60,000 miles, the suspension is holding up very well. No swaying, no bobbing, no leaking.

In August, I finally replaced my aging stock springs and block with a pair of Dakars. The springs had fatigued quite a bit and the axle wrap was getting to be unbearable. The new springs were amazing. Unfortunately for me, the Rancho shocks were a bit too short for the 2 3/4" lift. So, a few weeks ago, I swapped out the rear Ranchos for a pair of Icons (VS 2.0) purchased during the Black Friday-ish sales. When the truck is unloaded, the Icons do seem to be an improvement over the Ranchos. I detect a marginal improve,net in controlling the rear end when bombing down a dirt road. With a load in the bed and driving offroad, the jury is still out. I've only had one short trip with a heavy load I a dirt track and my initial impression was the Rancho shocks might have handled the load better. More testing is needed (and I am heading to Death Valley so to do so).

Incidentally, Overland Journal awarded the Rancho shocks their Editor's Choice Award. I understand why. After 60k miles of abuse (I mean of use) these shocks have performed flawlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz