Places t have a Diesel Conversion done in PDX???

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
EDIT: Title should rear "... in Portland/The NW or withing reasonable distance. (just not looking to drive to Ohio or something to do this...

Hello... Long time no Expo-Portal for me. As often happens, "life" seldom allows you the time you need/want to do the things you enjoy SO I haven't gotten to go out exploring as much in the last year and a half... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Anyway, 4Rescue, aka "The Super Turtle" is my 89 4Runner, 22re 5spd and it's getting on 320K these days AND well I've decided to put a Diesel in it...

I know ESH a member here is a real Toy Diesel guru, and I THOUGHT he did swaps, but I'm not sure. I've PM'd him and gotten no response so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a shop that would be able to source a Toyota oil burner and swap it into my truck??? Does ESH have a site or a Business/phone number??? I don;t know that it's worth it to take it all the way down to Profits or something like that, but I'm pretty dead set on this so I just need to find out what the most reasonable (read cost-effective) way to do this with good, trustworthy results, and doing it myself simply isn't an option at this time as much as I'd love to do it.

SO, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place in Portland or reasonably near (say Oregon, WA/Idaho/N. Cal even) that could do the FULL swap for me... I get the truck and the new Trany there, the SOURCE THE ENGINE do the work, then I pick it up and drive off blissfully :sombrero: . I'd LOVE to do the swap myself, just not in the cards.

I want:
- a Toy Diesel, probably a 1KZ-T (D4D would be awesome, but too much electronics IMO). No 2LT's, or 4BT's, and I'm not interested in any domestic V6/8's. I could go VM Motori or a Merc of some sort, but I'm looking for around a 3.0L INLINE 4 TURBO Diesel (no VW TDi's, LOVE them, mom owns a TDi Sport Wagon, but not enough ci displacement for serious towing) or something that will fit in the relatively small engine compartment (Cruiser guys have it easy in this dept.). No Straight 6's cause I don't want to hack up the interior or the body to get it to fit (unless there's a good way to GET one in without having to spend a Million to do it).

- Manual trany. I'm planning on buying a Marlin built R-Series 5-speed if I can go Toyota Diesel, so it's not as important for the shop to be able to do this bit.

-I'd LIKE to Retain the IFS if possible. I use this as my DD and my long haul rafting/adventure rig so ride comfort is huge as is not having to lift it to clear a SFA. If I COULD find a way to keep it at the same height (2"+ OME suspension/leafs and 33X10.50 BFG ATs) then that's be cool, I wouldn't mind slapping on some 36's and finally finishing some of those tougher trails but mostly it's my work/Camping/DD/long-distance driver so the IFS isn't a bad thing

I plan on upgrading the cooling/brakes etc. and beefing up the hitch/frame here and there just to be sure it's up to towing some of the trailers I have.

Of note: while I REALLY want to swap the 4Runner I have been offered a 60-series Cruiser for a song and it needs engine and Trans work (perfect time for an H55 to go in if I went that route) that I'm tempted to get into for the size increase in which case I could find a larger TD to put in it, BUT, I'd still need to find a shop to DO IT so the questions stand. Once I find a shop/place to do it I will have the discussion about weather it's easier to source a TD for the 60 and whether the work would be "easier" with the SFA.

Any and all help advice, pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting so excited at the prospect of having this done it's driving me nuts. The wife and I already have a few trips planned for next year including going from Portland up to AK (Family in Homer) and then across Norther Canada family in Manitoba) to Nova-Scotia then back across southern Canada back home. We're also planning on driving down to S. America here in 2 years so...

Cheers

Dave

summerprophet

Adventurer
Import performance in Bend.

They have had a few conversions show up on here. They look nice, but have never dealt with them personally.

Be prepared to pay dearly for the conversion.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Thank you!!! That's exactly what I'm looking for... I'm ready for the cringe moment at the discussion of cost... BUT, it's a lot less then buying a new truck, and we simply can't get anything like what I want here any way. I've been ruined in a way because I lived in Australia for a few years and the type of final product I'm after is a as common as lifted "show trucks" here in the US. Again, thanks for the lead, that's the kind of shop I'm looking for.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Looks like they want around 16K but they've got the engines I want and the Manual trans I'm not willing to budge on... I look at it like this: A new Taco would cost me 30K and I STILL wouldn;t have a Diesel engine. Power, sure, lots of it, nice trucks and it IS a Toyota so there's that... but no diesel. So for HALF that cost, maybe more, I can have MY First Gen with all it's gloriously overbuilt frame and underpinnings as well as it;s removable top and also have the Diesel engine I want with it's amazing range, economy and pulling power. I've sent an email and we'll see how this plays out, but I'm hopefull.

Diesel or BUST folks, I sure hope I'm gonna get to start a "My Diesel 1st Gen is being built as we speak"... You folks will be the first to know after I do.

montypower

Adventure Time!
If you're concerned with range... why not get a bigger tank? If you want power... the new Taco (you mentioned) has way more than Diesel. If you are concerned with cost... gas is cheaper. If you are concerned with maintenance... new vehicle there is none. The grass is rarely greener on the diesel side. For most Americans (maybe not you), we always want the one we can't have. In the long run, parts and repairs will cost more going custom diesel. At 320k and 24yrs old there's a bunch of parts that are worn out... door/window seals, window motor(s), switches/buttons, brittle plastic, axle/steering parts, paint, carpet etc. There are literally thousands of parts that wear out. This might be a good time to take inventory of everything. I'm not saying to not do it, just think it through fully. And possibly shop for a used vehicle with diesel swap done already.

shmabs

Explorer
My two cents:

16k doesn't really seem that unreasonable for turn key ready to roll swap, especially if its exactly what you want in terms of a drivetrain and is a truly complete swap.

Where I might differ from you is the choice of a 60 series vs a first gen 4runner. I'm sure our needs are different, but i really like the construction and size of 60 series. Additionally, a 60 series was offered from the factory with some pretty awesome diesels (just take a look at what cccruisers is importing, for a good price too, 15k-ish)

Running with that thought, if you are considering swapping that 60 series instead of your runner, you might look into having one imported vs converting, if you can deal with RHD.

Your 4runner with a properly sized turbo charged diesel would be great; its a small, durable compact vehicle un-like anything produced today, its easy and simple to maintain with little electronics, the new diesel would probably put it into the midst of 25mpg or so on the open road, it's cheap to insure, and the best part of all.....you already own and know it! I hope that with ever increasing gas prices, we will see more of what you are planning to do.

Also as of now proffitts cruisers is no more, which is a shame really.

Mike

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yeah I'd LOVE to just buy an imported 60 (in fact I've been wanting a 60-series for some time now and may jump on the one I've been offered anyway) with a bigger Diesel but a couple problems arise... RHD is a no go for me. I've probably got more exp. then most in the US driving one (mailmen excluded :lol: ) but I've also spent a lot of time driving a buddies RHD BJ43 and with a horrid as drivers are, it's just a headache I'm not wanting to deal with esp. in a truck that's 2x the size of the 43... Also, I'm not willing to drive an Automatic trans and it sure seems to be the most prevalent tranny in import trucks.

Sadly, it looks like Import Perf. is "out" of Half-Cuts so I'm back to square one... There has to be SOMEWHERE I can go, someone who will do this swap!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: that is SAD to hear that Profits went under... They did some very cool work and nothing good comes from shops like theirs going under...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
No go with Eco... They're primarily focused on LR and old Cruisers so the search continues... Man is this frustrating.

obkook

You might ask around on the www.Toyotadiesel.com website to see who might know of someone. That's where I found the guy to do one for me. My case was different though as I didn't already have the base vehicle so it did not matter to me that it was not local.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the links guys...

Kermit: if I exhaust a few options here in PDX I may have to do something like that so thank you for the link.

Loki: Those are great trucks (I drove a lot of similar rigs in OZ) but I'm not interested an RHD import. I've had a close personal relationship with an RHD BJ43 of a close friends and I gotta say I have mucho respect for mailmen. Between the complete lack of driving skills and the pains of driving in a city environment (unfortunately), RHD is just not an option I'm willing to consider. Thanks for the link though, love seeing these trucks again, I miss living in Australia.

Looks like I've sourced my motor and I'mm gonna have to work out driving up north to get it, but I'm hoping to have some big details work out here in the early part of this coming week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne