Pitchblack Rally Recce Raider Build

irish44j

So not much interesting to report in the last few days, but will update in the interest of documenting "everything" as much as possible. So, I got in a new A/C idler pulley from Korea (totally forgot I even ordered it) to replace the one on the truck, which may have been ok but was a little noisy for my liking. So, installed that, which was uneventful. One less thing to think about.

vVYHsa4h.jpg

irish44j

So I got new speakers for my tow rig (Sequioa). I went with some Rockford Fosgates that my audiophile friends recommended as the best-sounding in the price range I had in mind - and they were totally right. Unfortunately, got the wrong size for the Sequoia's rear doors and didn't feel like dealing with a return. However, they are the right size for the Raider. I previously put some cheap Kenwood speakers in the Raider but honestly have been pretty unimpressed with them. They were cheap speakers and they sound basically like....a cheap speaker.

So, swapped the front door speakers in the Raider to the leftover RFs. And they really sound much, much better...

rpyrCjPh.jpg

Anyhow, hope you had a good 4th of July.

tD8VULuh.jpg

irish44j

Not all that much going on, but I may actually take it wheeling this weekend. Some guys from rallycross are headed up to a local trail (Andy describes it as a "beginner trail" so probably perfect for a shakedown), which is only about 60 miles from here out at GW National Forest, and said to be a nice scenic run up to a mountaintop lake. So I'll probably do that. It also got me motivated to finally order a few things that I want in the "gear" category and hadn't gotten around to getting: 1) snatch strap - I have a regular tow strap for the rally car + D-rings, but figured having a snatch is never a bad thing since I'm not going to put a winch on for the time being. 2) some comms. I have CB in the Sequoia, but seems like most people these days are running GMRS radios so I ordered up a mobile GMRS set. The other upside is a much smaller antenna, which is good since I don't really want to put a big stick on the roff to get a good ground plane for CB. In any case, now I'll have both available if I need them. And yes, because I'm a good boy I did get a license for it. I mean, the license thing is kind of BS, but it does support the repeater infrastructure to some degree and I'm fine with paying my share for federally-funded things I use. I know most people don't get it, but whatever. I'm a Fed, so gotta keep it on the up and up lol.....And 3) an air pump. I have a small pump I use for the rally car, but it's pretty undersized for larger tires (and really, not great for even the rally car). So ordered up a nice Viair setup that should move some decent CFMs and be easily swappable between my vehicles and stuff. I love the ARB setup Kev has, but not mobile enough for me (and not cheap enough lol).

In the meantime, another package showed up. Totally forgot about ordering this:

L2XIJ1Jh.jpg

So yeah, that's an OEM rear wiper arm (from a Galloper, but it's OEM fit for a Gen1 Monty/Raider also, of course). No pics, but I compared it to the Montero Sport wiper arm I got at the junkyard a couple weeks ago and it's a couple inches longer and with a tighter angle on the turn of the arm. I had planned to just sell it when it got here, but after fitting it, it puts the wiper blade in a better place and wipes more of the visible glass than the Monty Sport one did, so I'l just use it.

Here's the part number if anyone cares...

3ppfkvJh.jpg

irish44j

Need a photo like that with the Raider instead.

Soon enough, hopefully. The plan is to hit the trails this weekend, and considering the massive storms this week, it could be pretty muddy......The Raider isn't legal for rallycross (and the BMW is substantially faster), else I might give it a go in a non-regional event lol.

Anyhow...
I had hoped to do a few little things on the Raider tonight, but we had some crazy storms....60mph wind, massive rain, some hail. Had a 10-foot branch just miss landing on the rally car (which is 50 feet from any tree), and a 5-foot branch somehow impaled itself vertically in the grid of the Sequoia's roof rack, which was mildly amusing (better there than in the windshield)

wLO85s4h.jpg

Anyhow, I did get a couple of items in the mail, as previously noted, they're just sitting on the workbench at the moment...

Snatch strap (i know, there are cheaper ones, perhaps better ones, but whatever. This is a known quantity and didn't feel like researching deep into straps...

ILCCn9Mh.jpg

A much nicer air pump than the one I previously had. I had a few others in mind too, but ended up getting this one for various reasons....

We0bXXph.jpg

And some comms...

edP10Hlh.jpg

irish44j

Got the radio installed today. It was convenient I left multiple switched/open power wires (directly to the aux fuse box) in the center console, so i was able to directly hookup there, which lets me have the radio on switched power. Yes, I need to do something a bit fancier than my current method of labeling the switches...

R5pbFACh.jpg

In any case, decided to mount it on the side of the center console, so it's within reach and I don't have the mic cord hanging in the way of other stuff. I may move it elsewhere in the future (I have some ideas), but this should do for now since I want comms if I hit the trails this weekend to do a shakedown run.

A7J6cgph.jpg

7v6pxROh.jpg

This one came with a small (like 6" mag-mount antenna), so for the moment the wire is just running down the passenger A-pillar behind the door seal with the antenna on the front passenger corner. Will figure out something a bit less ghetto at some point, but this makes it easily removable for the moment.

irish44j

Hey so finally got this thing off the pavement. Today I rolled about 80 miles to Woodstock, Virginia to meet up with Andy Thomas (who we've rallycrossed with for years) and a couple of his buddies to hit Peters Mill Run, an 8-mile (and 8 mile back) trail described online as "moderately rocky and linear." It is also apparently a "Jeep Badge of Honor" trail, which from what I gather seems to be some thing where Jeep guys get a bunch of badges that go on their vehicles for trails they've done, or something like that. I'm half tempted to register for whatever that is and just get their badges and put them somewhere they can't be seen, just for my own amusement......

In any case, we met up at the local walmart and rolled out a few miles to the trailhead. It was Andy in his GMC 2500 (?) with 34s and lockers, a friend of his in a Tacoma, and another guy with a Lexus GX470.

Yeya2o1h.jpg

It's a nice, scenic trail and starts with an immediate pretty sizable climb over some pretty rocky (but not terribly loose) stuff for the first mile or so, with some switchbacks. Seems like there were some skidplates being hit here and there, but the Raider is so small and maneuverable it's easy to pick a good line. I ran pretty much the entire time in 4WD low and 2nd gear, only using first for a few places I had to stop to wait for the truck ahead of me to climb. All in all, it climbed very well, no slipping anywhere (I was aired down to about 20psi or a bit less).

3A5u4Qsh.jpg

After a while it leveled off and got a bit less rough and we stopped to take a group photo before a gaggle of people in late-model Jeeps showed up to do the same, on their way back out..

NpEP58eh.jpg

We proceeded on to the other end of the trail and had lunch...

KP3ko8lh.jpg

1JpWPhqh.jpg

Then headed back the other way. Apparently there are some stream crossings usually, and I figured with all the recent rain in the DC area they may be good, but they were only a bit damp. but there was a good amount of muddy areas on the trail and the Raider walked through them as if they were tarmac (no, these pics don't match up - the guys weren't really stopping for photo shots so I don't have any "action" lol)....

OXyOauch.jpg

jZLxahJh.jpg

Anyhow, made it back the other way and off the trail. A couple of the guys rolled to another trail but I had to head back home to make dinner with the neighbors, so got aired back up and on the road

2V2Mtajh.jpg

So, a few thoughts:

- The "bouncy" suspension seat base is awesome. After I got it dialed in to the right weight range and unlocked, basically I could lean forward a bit and move almost totally independent of the rig rocking back and forth (other than my foot and my hands).

- Short wheelbase does make for a bit of a choppy offroading, but this thing is like a Miata on the trail - small enough to fit anyplace and maneuver around anything - a big difference from Andy's truck, which is about twice the length and had some adventures trying to pull off for oncoming traffic in a few cases.

- In some review someplace the Gen1 is referred to as a "sure-footed donkey" and I think that's totally accurate. It never lost any lines I put it on, never lost grip anywhere, and was always unrefined enough to know it is, indeed, a utility donkey and not a fancy high-dollar trail buggy.

- Powertrain-wise, it had zero issue in any situation, even steep uphill starts. Of course running in low range, so not a real surprise, but the V6 has proven to be more torquey than I would expect based on its "on-paper" ratings. This being a Mitsubishi V6, I kept a close eye on the temp gauge, but it never went up (and it was in the 90s and extremely humid today). I did run my electric aux fan the whole time as well but did not run A/C until we were off the trail. Also cruises at 65-70 just fine on the 70 miles of highway home, though man this thing is all about wind noise, no matter what configuration you have the windows in, lol.

- A few squeaks and rattles to figure out, and I also would get an occasional "bang" from the front right when at certain uneven areas - I suspect swaybar bind, perhaps. Will have to take a look at things.

- I definitely have a slow leak from the rear main seal, as there is a bit of oil spray on the crossmembers. not enough to actually drip when parked, and no measurable loss on the dipstick after about 200 miles of driving today. So, I'll probably go with "not caring" as opposed to actually going through all the effort to put another new one in, unless it gets substantially worse. Otherwise, everything worked fine.

- The VIAIR pump I got is great. It took about 30 seconds to get each tire up 10psi to road pressures.

So anyhow, happy nothing broke and it is just as capable as I hoped it would be. I have some stuff to do (definitely need some skidplates to do any more substantial trails....).

6qj3DtZh.jpg

PacS14

Adventurer
That's a good test run, I've been thinking about a portable compressor, I might wait to get a 18v Makita since I already have tools in that department and to be honest I haven't even checked if such thing is available yet, but a solar panel on the roof charging a separate battery inside the Montero has always been the plan. Keep us posted.

irish44j

Headed out to the pick and pull today for two purposes: First, because I saw there was a Sequoia in the open lot (usually they're in the private no-pull lot), which I got a handful of parts off of for the tow rig that I've been looking to grab. And second to go find a trailer hitch for my next project. After much browsing of the SUVs in the lot, finally settled on a big, heavy, beefy hitch assembly off a Suburban and pulled it and lugged it to the counter (man, it was not light...)
cu202Wmh.jpg

Y1Iwj79h.jpg

I got this one because it's very wide with a lot of 2" bar, and very large end plates to give me some 1/4" heavy plate to cut up. I think I can used this for both my Raider front hitch project as well as a hitch mount on the trailer for the winch tray. So got right to work cutting this thick-ass metal up. One of these days I'll get a plasma cutter, but until then it's angle grinders and sawzall...
12krkZVh.jpg

After much measuring and pretty careful cutting, mocked it up in place roughly.
UCYYvzRh.jpg

EZTIonRh.jpg

l0hfNrFh.jpg

You can see there's a gap at each end, and that's intentional as I want larger 1/4 plates at the ends to spread the load. You may also notice it's turned around backward so the "thick" end of the receiver is actually not on the outside. If I was going to put a heavy trailer load on this, I'd want that outward for extra support of the receiver, but since this will be used primarily for winch/recovery with a pulling load, not too concerned. Plus, I want to make it sit flush with the bumper so I can hide it under the license plate.
So after measuring and mocking up, marked the bumper and cut a 2 1/2" hole, and then used a jigsaw to turn the hole into a square (didn't take a pic of that but you'll see it later)...
bTswN9hh.jpg

fpCSNADh.jpg

test fit with the bumper on, where you can see the receiver sitting flush with the hole
ifpPvmBh.jpg

test fit with the winch platform on just to make sure the holes for the hitch pin is shallow enough to be reached with it turned around backward. It actually turned out just about right, with the platform close flush with the bumper - but a bit of interference of the Hellas with the platform handles, so may or may not modify the handles to get them out of the way (or just turn the lights when I need to have it in.)
eQ4JzJTh.jpg

Once I knew that the general setup fit well, I cut out some end plates from the huge end plates on the Suburban hitch. Here's one of the test-fitted (using a single bolt into the OEM skidplate mount hole to hold it in place). These plates will be welded on and partially boxed. Hopefully my little Hobart can handle this thickness of metal. Gonna have to lay it down pretty slow to get sufficient penetration - though frankly this is probably going to be way overbuilt for the kind of load it would ever see.
azRgRMph.jpg

With both plates on, I mocked up the main bar again - pretty happy with my measuring and cutting, it's damn near exact and the bar actually stays in place by friction/pressure alone in this pic (nothing is actually holding it), so that's pretty good.
WwFhLAJh.jpg

The rest of it in the next post

irish44j

And part two today: First thing I cut chamfers into all the mating surfaces and cleaned the metal. Decided since it's out of sight I'd just do this with some .035 flux core since I have a big spool of that I rarely use, plus flux seems to penetrate better on thick metal. So, set it all up, double-checked fit, and welded it all up. Did double (and some triple) passes with slow wire speed and seems I got acceptable penetration, based on heat pattern on areas not painted.
aqvkvYWh.jpg

IQIdZGDh.jpg

Since I have 3/4 a gallon of "safety red" and never use it, figured I'd use it here since it's mostly out of sight and not waste my black (plus, the little bit of red visible is a nice little highlight I think).
GAtfc8kh.jpg

Also painted the tow J-hook red, just for fun (and because all the new Jeeps have their that way, which looks kind of cool I guess). Put the bumper back on and got everything bolted up.
57JCzjEh.jpg

twdOk0mh.jpg

All stealth with the license plate in place
cqAIKp2h.jpg

As previously noted, the Hellas interfere with the winch platform, so I moved them inward a few inches to give me no-hassle clearance, so here's it fitted correctly now. Much better.
Lgy0RQMh.jpg

The crew
IAX3xfrh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94