Pitchblack Motorsports - 2010 Sequoia rally support and light adventure rig

calicamper

Expedition Leader
? just a side note carfax data is pretty much junk. You can go to any yota dealer and have them print off or email your vehicle history even with service notes. My 1993 LC even had full system history. My 07 Sequoia had 30 pages. Can be really helpful in spotting issues etc. My dad has the 07 now 112,000 miles I bought it from the original owner at 65,000.
I’m in a 2019 Expedition hd package locking diff etc now. Love it…

You only need intervention if you buy a New Sequoia for $70,000 and then realize the 2010 was the same rig ?

irish44j

Towed up to rallycross last weekend.

3WZ0Ztkh.jpg

This thing is far better through the twisty uphill W.Va. mountain roads pulling 5k than the old Sequoia was (no surprise there). Anyhow, after a day of dirty racing, the roof shower worked great at rinsing off a lot of grime. Of course, I forgot to put a cover over it (aka white towel) on a 95 degree sunny day so it was a very hot shower lol...

Anyhow, the heat turned to over 5" of torrential downpour all evening, so we hung out under my pop-up and drank beers. The guys with tents slept mostly wet on the flooded parking lot or grass near it (not much rain was expected, so nobody had a chance to set up storm shelters or on higher ground). I set up.....an air mattress in the rig :)

1y2efF3h.jpg

So, I slept fine, and was totally dry. Well, at least the rain cleaned up all the dirty cars and tow rigs...

2o5SvBzh.jpg

Also, while it was raining I yelled to a buddy to put the tailgate down since it was up. He did so without realizing the sprayer for the water tank was hooked over the lift support and CRUNCH....snapped the left-side piston in half. This hatch is heavy as hell, and won't stay up with one, so had to use some wood (got a new one today, so good as new)

zu6iDy3h.jpg

irish44j

? just a side note carfax data is pretty much junk. You can go to any yota dealer and have them print off or email your vehicle history even with service notes. My 1993 LC even had full system history. My 07 Sequoia had 30 pages. Can be really helpful in spotting issues etc. My dad has the 07 now 112,000 miles I bought it from the original owner at 65,000.
I’m in a 2019 Expedition hd package locking diff etc now. Love it…

You only need intervention if you buy a New Sequoia for $70,000 and then realize the 2010 was the same rig ?

lol, truth. There's a guy with a brand-new TRD Pro Sequoia in my lot at work and every time I see it I think a few things:
1. The OEM tires on the TRD Pro are pretty mediocre
2. That tubular roof rack looks like it's made of PVC pipe with the fat connectors. I actually like a regular OEM rack better....
3. He paid HOW much for that?

Good thought on the Toyota history. The local dealer isn't very convenient for me so i rarely go out that way, but may grab it next time I'm in the area.

irish44j

After a couple-months wait, finally got my seat covers from Wet Okole. I really dislike slippery leather seats, especially when they're made for Fat Americans like the ones in the Sequoia seem to be, with no sign of bolstering for those of us who are on the slimmer side of things (or, I'd like to think that at least). The 1st gen also had this problem and I got the Wet Okole covers for it too and they were great. Better grip, much more comfort, and no stiches parting or other wear. Anyhow, as with last time they fit perfectly, install was a breeze, and they match pretty well.

e9sKaiBh.jpg

tj0GYXGh.jpg

There's a center armrest cover also, that fits pretty well considering the odd shape of the early Gen2 console cover.

1GidTVzh.jpg

I ordered them with the "pouches for stuff" on the back, since figured that might come in handy for smaller gear, etc.

P3SQDGPh.jpg

Also got word that my awning is still a couple weeks away - not a surprise since all the ships from the Pacific are traffic-jammed at the Port of Los Angeles right now, and it's coming from Australia. Such is life.

kwill

Observer
Great stuff! I admire you guys that can do this kind of stuff on your own. I'm pretty good at cross-threading nuts and creating electrical shorts.

irish44j

Great stuff! I admire you guys that can do this kind of stuff on your own. I'm pretty good at cross-threading nuts and creating electrical shorts.

lol....man, working on this thing is easy. My other project cars are way more difficult :)

That said, I didn't know crap about working on cars, or welding, or any of that stuff when I was 20. Pretty much all self-taught over the past 20+ years. All it takes is practice, youtube, manuals, and making a lot of mistakes.

all three of these started as Sub-$1k non-running pieces of junk...working on a 10-year old sequoia is like a dream haha.....so much space to work, no rust, etc.

r5yrngQh.jpg

irish44j

Been a while. The rig has gotten a lot of use towing to motorsports stuff. A few weeks ago it was Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally (STPR):

fjUDIGeh.jpg

Though it's generally preferable to do reconnaissance runs in a car (other than the competition car, by rule), we didn't have a recce car with us, so did it in the tow rig, full of 1000lbs of gear, spares, and wheels.

jW3ms87h.jpg

XIEfdXBh.jpg

We were 2nd place in our class (Open 2WD with 7 stages of 8 done)

QdzbVEmh.jpg

Unfortunately, I hit some jumps too hard and tore out some rear suspension stuff...and DNF'd on the final stage. Oh well.

Mdt9UlWh.jpg

So while we were there, my crew chief (who has a 4Runner) rolled down the rear window on the tailgate and it wouldn't come back up. This has happened before to me (you can get it up by opening the hatch and pulling it up while someone presses the button). This happens because for some reason Toyota didn't rustproof the regulator and rails and the bottom of the hatch gets water in it through the window seals. So eventually the lower pulley and cables get rusty and the resistance trips the safety sensor on the window and wont' let it come up. I tried once to clean up all the rails but it was all fairly rusty, so I just bit the bullet and bought a new assembly for $250 (which includes a new motor)

7ua7QsDh.jpg

Removal of the old one was pretty easy (thanks also to a how-to on IH8MUD forum) and got the new one in. So, now it works. Yay. And it's nice and smooth/quiet

JjZSZCzh.jpg

YTfKHmmh.jpg

Here's the old one:
5JqGrFrh.jpg

KnykNcRh.jpg

XfmGOYFh.jpg

Doesn't look as bad as some I've seen on the forums, but I guess it was enough to not make it work reliably.

irish44j

After three months of it sitting on a ship off the west coast, finally got my Ironman 8-foot awning for the tow pig. It's pretty much the same as the ARB ones in every way except colors, but it's about $100 cheaper so that's a plus. But thanks to delays in the shipping industry, I'm just getting it now. In any case, the quality looks comparable to ARB and it even came with a ratcheting 10mm wrench for the bolts, which I don't really need (I used electric) but it a nice little thing , better than the janky wrenches that usually come with stuff like this

hcdYekHh.jpg

In any case, install was pretty easy since I had already drilled the holes when I built the rack, but it's nice to finally have it on. Will come in handy once it warms up again and we want shade at race days, etc.

a8Sxtc3h.jpg

HjqufMoh.jpg

LnEeGTih.jpg

irish44j

Stupid question - how do these differ, drivetrain wise, from the Land Cruisers?

I don't know the Land Cruisers all that well, but they have the same engine but have an 8-speed transmission vs. the 6-speed in the Sequioa. LC is also full-time 4WD/AWD I think, while the Sequioa can run in 2WD (better for towing and MPGs). They both have lockable torsen center diffs. I could be wrong, but I believe the LC has a locking rear diff as well.

irish44j

Not much new to report on modifications. Took the water tank off for the winter but other than that, nothing much going on. We did get a foot of snow recently and I spent the day pulling stuck drivers out of ditches and stuff and helped out a F250 SuperDuty by dragging him up a 1/4 mile hill when he couldn't get his 4WD to work.....Sequoia made easy work of it, honestly.

PltIZEUh.jpg

n1nGkWhh.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The LC is detuned compared to the Sequoia. Its like comparing a big fat over stuffed lazy boy yhat trundles along in no hurry “LC” and a over caffeinated angry soccer mom GMC Yukon hunter “sequoia”. They drive very different and power response is very different.

nickw

Adventurer
The LC is detuned compared to the Sequoia. Its like comparing a big fat over stuffed lazy boy yhat trundles along in no hurry “LC” and a over caffeinated angry soccer mom GMC Yukon hunter “sequoia”. They drive very different and power response is very different.
How about axles, tcase, transmission and other drivetrain components? I know the Tundra uses essentially the same drivetrain component as the LC, but upsizes the diff from the 9.5" to I think a 10.5" with the 5.7L engine, wonder if they did the same here?

irish44j

the same drivetrain component as the LC, but upsiz
How about axles, tcase, transmission and other drivetrain components? I know the Tundra uses essentially the same drivetrain component as the LC, but upsizes the diff from the 9.5" to I think a 10.5" with the 5.7L engine, wonder if they did the same here?

The Sequoia rear diff ring gear is 10" vs 10.5 for the Tundra and 9.5" in the LC. Sequoia rear is probably bigger since it runs in RWD most of the time so has to handle all the power through the rear diff. LC is full-time 4WD so the rear diff doesn't really see all the power.

Obviously TC is different since Sequioa can run in 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo and the LC only runs in 4Hi/4Lo.

Sequoia also has IRS rear suspension, while the LC and Tundra have solid axles back there.

Sequoia has a 6-speed transmission, LC 200 has an 8-speed.

In short, other than the engine itself, the Sequoia and the LC 200 don't really have that much in common in terms of drivetrain/suspension.

irish44j

With today beautiful, sunny, and dry, I decided to start on another project I've been meaning to do once it warmed up: improve the cargo arrangement of the tow pig!

For those of you who followed my Raider built, you know what I'm doing here. Nothing fancy, but will give me a lot more gear-hauling capability. The old 1st gen Sequoia I had you could simply take out all the seats and have a perfectly flat cargo floor. This one, not so much. The 2nd-row seats fold flat onto themselves (but not into the floor) and the 3rd row seats fold partially into the floor, and there's a gear compartment in the floor behind them. Unfortunately, none of this is very flat, and it slopes downward toward the back hatch, so it kind of sucks for sleeping on and for loading gear that will slide backwards throughout a trip. IDK why Toyota did this, it's a lousy setup.

In any case, I don't ever, ever use the 3rd row seats anyhow, so let's take those out and make better use of the space. These are motorized seats as well so they're pretty heavy. I'd guesstimate the two of them weigh well over 100lbs combined. Taking them out was pretty easy:

mLZlrTKh.jpg

What's left is less than ideal. There's a metal crossbar that separates the cargo tray from the 3rd row seat, and it's not really flat either, it has a "profile" to it. The floor itself is not flat at the back, flat in the center, and then slopes down about 2 feet behind the 2nd row seats. It's also not level with the ground.

UQSwmf8h.jpg

I also wanted the new cargo/sleeping floor to be both level overall, and level with the middle-row seats when folded down (though they also have a small slope to them, but that's at the "pillow" end loll. In any case, did a bunch of measuring and decided to build off of the OEM metal crossbar and figure everything else out from there. To get the right height, I went with 2 x 3" runners, and used three of them longitudinally, resting on the metal crossbar and a transverse 2x4 up forward

Plenty of blocking up things to get everything level

b318mcKh.jpg

The rear crossbeam was attached with through-bolts and some old metal bar to the OEM metal crossmember to hold it in place.

GOnI0bKh.jpg

At the front end I built a pair of legs with 2x4s that rest on the flat area of the floor just forward of the front bolts for the 3rd row seat. Then used some L-brackets drilled out to attach those to the floor using the seat bolts. There's a third post in the middle just for extra support, though it's not bolted down. You can just barely see the L-brackets in this pic

F7HW78oh.jpg

Once all leveled up, I got a piece of 48" x 48" plywood (5/16" I think) and made some profile cuts to allow me access to tiedowns and some other things. I'm leaving about a 1" gap on the sides because I don't want it rubbing on the interior panels and squeaking or scuffing that stuff up in case I ever want to sell this thing. The plan here is to have two compartments: a large one in the middle that will be able to be hold camping gear, air mattress, and other bulkier stuff. The rear compartment I'm re-using the OEM gear tray (but not the cover) so I'll have easy access to recovery equipment, first aid, stuff, etc. There will also be a smaller forward panel that won't open, but I'll be able to put smaller stuff under the front "ledge" by sliding the 2nd row seats forward.

After cutting and test-fitting the top plywood. I went to Home Depot and bought some cheap high-traffic outdoor carpeting. I learned by lesson on the Raider, when I used black for this and found it ALWAYS looks dirty, and got gray this time to match the interior. So cut out some pieces.

Idr8I87h.jpg

And got to fitting it...you can also see here the long piano hinges I am using to allow the panels to flip up for access. I've found that these work well on the Raider (and holding the rally car's trunk spoiler, incidentally)

BUkMMP9h.jpg

So that's where I am after one afternoon/evening. The plan will be to finish this up tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier