Pinz's at Moab..............

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

I found this pic trip page at a Pinz site.....and thought I would share.

Turn up your volume and look for the video at the bottom of the page.

When I grow up..........I think I want one of these!....:friday:

Pinz~N~Hobbin..............! :sombrero:

mini-IMG_5138.JPG

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
There is one for sale at my buddy Mike Lokeys 4wd shop. It is a cherry canvas back. I would love to have it. I'll snap a pic when I go over there to pick up my wheels.

Scenic WonderRunner said:
A search for Pinz's today found this one with a really Kewl custom roll cage! I really like the built in ladder just behind the pass. door.

You'll need the roll cage...they have a very narrow stock track width and little articulation until they're loaded. Not stable! I spotted one through Elephant Hill, and the Maze out to the Dollhouse...it was unstoppable until the obstacles were off-camber or the trail was a sidehill, then it was "exciting". Lockers are a great way to get yourself in a LOT of trouble.

Also, they are nose-heavy like a Mog...gotta load the back proper, or you'll be skidding/bouncing down steep technical hills on the front two wheels.

If you have a use for the 2-ton bed, or are willing to modify it for better articulation, they're great rigs but not imho good for technical 4wheeling. As an expedition rig, they'd be excellent with their built-in offroad capability and load capacity.

Robthebrit

Explorer
I dunno, they are pretty good off road, in fact I'd go as saying they are awesome, they'll run rings around any domestic truck other than the custom rock crawlers. Their portal axles allow them to drive over stuff without any articulation, they have around 18 inches of clearance under the diffs. They do not have the mog's flexible frame and they do have IFS which caused them to lift wheels but it does not seem to bother them, they have hydraulic lockers and are rugged enough to pull their loaded weight with a single drive wheel.

Every year at mog fest (which is really euro truck fest) lots of them show up and they go everywhere the mogs go and do not have problems. A mog has never yet had to help a pinz over an obstical.

Don't forget you can get 6 wheel versions and all diffs can be locked.

SeaRubi

Explorer
i like the Pinz because they're a few hairs smaller than the typical Unimog 404's and 416's. I think the IFS would be a fabulous asset as well over harsh roads. With a suspension seat I can see that being pretty darn comfy over the long haul.

really neat trucks. anybody like the Halflingers? :bowdown:

chet

island Explorer
that one with the exo cage was built by a guy in our club. Mainly due to it having a habit of flopping on its side!!! they do not like sidehills at all. Cool rig but slow and cold for up here. so he sold it and bought a JDM landcruiser.

Robthebrit

Explorer
SeaRubi said:
i like the Pinz because they're a few hairs smaller than the typical Unimog 404's and 416's. I think the IFS would be a fabulous asset as well over harsh roads. With a suspension seat I can see that being pretty darn comfy over the long haul.

really neat trucks. anybody like the Halflingers? :bowdown:

You have a point there, the pinz is a lot smaller than a mog and a lot lighter unladen weight, Pinz's can lock individual diffs where an unmodified mog cannot, you either lock both or none which can make steering a little interesting. Pinz's do not quite have the turning circle of a mog but the mogs turning circle is ridiculous for such a large truck.

The Pinz drives real nice and on and off road, on the roads its much faster and a little quieter than a mog. Pinz's suck up washboard like its smooth tarmac, you take a heavy mog down washboard and you either have to go real slow or get the speed and tire pressure perfect otherwise it will literally shake your teeth out even with an air seat. However, the mog always feels firm like it is commanding the trial even when its bouncing, I guess thats what a few thousand pounds of unsprung weight does for you.

Pinz gas mileage is not quite as good as a diesel mog, a diesel pinz would be the ultimate but as far as I know there is only a single privately owned 716 diesel pinz in the US.

Halfi's are awesome! I almost bought one but they are too expensive, good ones are as much as a pinz and thats a little steep for a 4x4 golf cart. Actually, the main reason I did not get it was because I had gone a few rounds with the DMV overing registering a mog and didn't want to go back for more.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
My buddy Jeff had one. I wish I had the cash when he decided to sell it last year.

The whole club loved watching that thing in ruts. It would flop over like a fish in the ruts he would crank the wheels into the bank and it would pop back onto its wheels. I think he layed it over 8 times that I know of. Here is the very last flop he did in it. I think this was the only one he didn't drive it out of.

Now hold on a sec...I'm not maligning Pinzies here, they're great trucks...but for a purpose. They -definately- do not do sidehills or offcamber well, that is part of what causes them to flop in situations where more flexible suspensions are able to keep a vehicle stable.

In stock mil-surplus form, they are meant to be loaded heavy and ride like buckboards until they are (or the suspension is changed).

Lockers make up for some ability to flex, but lockers cannot provide the stability that a flexible suspension and wide track width provide, and are not a replacement for either.

Pinzgauers are great when you can keep the roll angle close to zero...they'll climb literally straight up if they have traction, and if the weight is balanced, they can descend the same...but usually the way I see them (un)loaded, the weight bias to the front makes them less stable descending.

The only times I saw our Pinz in potential trouble were steep descents while unloaded, and any offcamber/sidehill situation--not ruts crossed diagonally, where the vehicle can sometimes remain relatively flat and level, but dropping or ascending ledges or steep hills where one tire must go first. On soft sand, steep (but level side to side) climbs, loose cover and rolling ground less than about a wheel height, it was a winner and that's why I always spotted the Pinz first...I knew between the machine, the driver and a spotter that we'd be certain to have a reliable vehicle above the obstacle to help the rest of the pack. It was only certain situations where we had to be extremely careful--no roll cage, full cargo volume, and usually a long drop to the bottom of a canyon if we made a mistake--no driving back upright if he rolled, but a medevac if he was lucky.

They make great hunting, exploring, camping and expedition rigs...I wanted one real bad until I saw how it performed in difficult & potentially dangerous 4WD situations. Given how inexpensive they are, I still think a Pinz would be a lot of fun, as it's more capable imho as an expedition/overland rig than many other vehicles of similar size, and I wouldn't take it specifically offroading as I'm familiar with its limitations. They're also easy to fix...you could, if you wanted/needed to, rebuild the transmission in the field without too much trouble. They're also very reliable, simple, and hard to break.

You can get Pinzies in really good shape from Cold War Remarketing, down in Colorado Springs...my buddy had two, one was the beater, the other was a beauty. All the exterior wood and canvas was in great shape, the interior was very clean, the engine and drivetrain were in great shape. I think he got it for something between 12 and 14 off the lot, you can get them cheaper "used" and restore them for a project. A Pinz with all the canvas intact and in good shape, with clean wood trim, looks really nice...especially with the two-tone look between the paint and the canvas.

An expedition rig they definately are, a technical 4WD rig they really aren't. They are a lot of fun, tho. You guys are getting me thinking again...we had a lot of fun with the Pinz, it was only the really hairy offroad stuff where it was close to rolling or doing an endo.

-Sean

*edit* I wanted to add that while the listed side slope capability for a Pinz is just a hair under 45 degrees, the combination of side slope and nose down is what causes the most trouble, not side slope alone...second is the "dynamic lean" when the axles won't articulate and the vehicle keels over as the CG moves past the terrain pivot point. That's different than being static at 45 degrees.

Also, CWR has some really cool stuff in stock at the moment...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier