Pinzgauer 710M Conversion - Build thread

Hugues

Little update,
received my panels for the box,
test fitting them in the garage,
removed tarp, structure and panels from Pinz

The idea is to test fit them on the Pinz,
then bring them back in the garage and glue them upside down like on the picture,
so ceiling on the floor,
glue the right side panel to ceiling
then glue left side panel to ceiling
then glue the back front panel to ceiling and side panels

Any feedback appreciated, especially on how best to glue them together.

pinz without tarp.jpgbox.jpg

Last edited:

McCall Pinz

Observer
I think I would mock-it up on the Pinz with small pieces of EPDM tape and then carefully remove it for the final taping. Your Pinz looks in great shape, but might not be perfectly square. Will you insulate the metal floor or camp primarily in warmer climates? Also, be sure to seal the various bolt holes in the back to prevent very fine dust from entering. I'm very excited to follow along and am considering a similar project, but am still a few years away.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Awesome vehicle!!!

Do you have the D24T VW inline 6 turbo diesel engine? If so, I've had a whole bunch of the diesel Volvo models that have these, and I can connect you with a small online community that still has the parts, tools, and knowledge to keep it running. Getting parts and info on these is a real challenge nowadays. I always thought these were a super cool engine, and really enjoy working on, and driving them.

Hugues

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
I think I would mock-it up on the Pinz with small pieces of EPDM tape and then carefully remove it for the final taping. ..
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. You mean to use tape to hold the panels together on the Pinz ?

Your Pinz looks in great shape, but might not be perfectly square....
Thanks. I just checked again without any load and on a flat surface.
From the picture below:
-the red diagonals are spot on, 2860mm on one side and 2858mm on the other
-the yellow diagonals are slightly off by ~10mm. Not too worried as this part of the cabin angles forward, my panel will not lean against it once it reaches the place where the tarp finishes on the picture
- the blues lines are kind of flat. I put a long ruler on top of each and see a slight bend in the middle, slightly arch, like 2mm gap on each end. But I have no load on the Pinz now, this will surely change as I start to load the Pinz, this arch will probably disappear.
Pinz dimensions.png

... Will you insulate the metal floor or camp primarily in warmer climates? Also, be sure to seal the various bolt holes in the back to prevent very fine dust from entering. I'm very excited to follow along and am considering a similar project, but am still a few years away.
thanks.
For the floor I'm going to use Thermolite boards. They are very stiff and provide a reasonable insulation. They are lighter than wood and do not absorb any water. I will bolt them to the frame and bolt my equipment to them.

Hugues

Awesome vehicle!!!

Do you have the D24T VW inline 6 turbo diesel engine? If so, I've had a whole bunch of the diesel Volvo models that have these, and I can connect you with a small online community that still has the parts, tools, and knowledge to keep it running. Getting parts and info on these is a real challenge nowadays. I always thought these were a super cool engine, and really enjoy working on, and driving them.
Thanks !
I have the stock petrol engine. But thanks for the offer.

Hugues

All 4 panels glued together, they weigh 116 kgs / 255 lbs
starting to glue L fiberglass profiles
using Sikaflex 252
short video here:

4 panels.png

L profiles.png

Last edited:

Hugues

Corners painted and glued,
EPDM rain shield installed, first iteration at least,
I'll probably add some aluminum tin plate to protect it and reflect the sun away.

rain shield.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94