PINS trip

Thanks for the great report. PINS has been on my Must-Do list for a while.

Question: What tire pressure do you run for the soft sand? I've got a lifted Subaru Outback that runs offroad tires. I'm assuming it will manage the soft sand with ease if I air down. Is that a safe assumption?

Tomin

I have a heavy old truck and usual drag my trailer, about 2500 pounds, behind it. I usually am at 12-15 psi. Truck and trailer. This last trip Tex68w with his big dodge and camper in the bed l, think he started at 25 and had no problems. Sure he will chime in and correct me on pressure if I’m wrong.

But I will say that I have been down there with other folks with totally stock 4x4 trucks and street tiresnever air down. They never have had trouble even when sand gets soft. The more aggressive tires dig more so more they tend to sink in the sand. Watch the tides and you will be fine 99% of time. I am bad at explanations. HaHa.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tom is correct, for the most part you could probably get away with not even touching your air pressure but it will certainly have better floatation if you do air down. I usually go to 18 psi in the sand, but I was at 25 psi this past trip with the added weight of the FWC in the bed. 15-20 psi is a safe number for the beach.

I think we are going to set an annual trip for PINS here on the Portal, so check back to see what dates we throw out for the next run and maybe you can join us then!

Wilbah

Adventurer
Really cool trip(s)….thanks for posting! Cool how others just fit right in - as was mentioned- different approaches, different vehicles choices etc but everyone enjoys getting out there and doing it. Really great!

How do you wash your vehicle to keep the salt at bay? Living in the northeast salt is an ever present problem for vehicles, but that's more from the roads in winter and the salt put down. I read about a guy that whenever he gets back from his beach runs parks his truck over a sprinkler for a few hours to wash the undercarriage fully. But I was never sure if that made sense? I could see a light washing would help but I don't want water "forced" into every nook and cranny either.

Tomin

Wilbah it was a good time for sure. As far as cleaning up after. I don’t know of anyway that is better than another. As you drive sand and salt are tossed up under truck. In places I didn’t even know were there and I have spent lots of time in, around and under my truck. HaHa. So I just grab water hose and go to town. Underside gets two rounds catching every crack and crevice I can find, you would be surprised how much more sand falls out on round 2. Then empty everything out and wash the inside out. No carpet of course. Then a wash for the outside. As a bonus you find where the rust is starting and add that to the fixit list. I probably spend 15+ weekends a year on the beach so it ends up being a lot of work. But worth it for the getaway.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Wilbah it was a good time for sure. As far as cleaning up after. I don’t know of anyway that is better than another. As you drive sand and salt are tossed up under truck. In places I didn’t even know where there and I have spent lots of time in, around and under my truck. HaHa. So I just grab water hose and go to town. Underside gets two rounds catching every crack and crevice I can find, you would be surprised how much more sand falls out on round 2. Then empty everything out and wash the inside out. No carpet of course. Then it a wash for the outside. As a bonus you find where the rust is starting and add that to the fixit list. I probably spend 15+ weekends a year on the beach so it ends up being a lot of work. But worth it for the getaway.

Cool. Thanks. I thought the "sprinkler bath" sort of made sense but I wasnt sure. In MA we never get vehicles to last long due to rust. I have a buddy in CO who still has a '69 Chevelle with some spots of bare metal on it. Not a spot of rust on the vehicle. Can ya tell I'm jealous? Haha.

Years ago the Cape Cod Nat'l Seashore allowed you to just show up and drive (a shovel and plank was required). Was great as a kid cruising the beaches with my Dad in our FJ40. Now it's a season pass, limited access etc. Just too many ppl want to do it. Cool write up! Thanks!

Tomin

I tried the sprinkler thing after some mud runs. Everyone said it was the way to go. I was not impressed at all. Didn’t do much. But then again mud and sand different textures. Maybe I should try again. I know my truck spends most of its life on the beach and I accept the known outcome. Also this is my second Blazer body, First one rusted to unusable. I pulled drive train and dropped it in good body for round 2. Hope not to have to do all that work again but I’m sure the beach will eat this one up at some point.

BKT

The wife and I took the granddaughter down to the jetties around mid Dec and the driving was absolutely perfect. With the sand so packed and smooth, my daughters Hyundai Accent could've made it without issue..PINS bouy.jpgPINS bouy2.jpgPINS beach strip.jpgPINS Shells.jpg

Tomin

Looks like good time and good memories. Low tide is usually easy, just as you say. Beach is finicky. Low tides are usually not bad. But wind direction and other weather events can change water levels above tide predictions. Not trying to make this drive seem dramatic. It’s not at all. If a storm is in gulf or close add a few feet (or maybe 17 ask me how I know) to tide prediction. It’s a good time on this end of Texas. It’s 99% no drama. Just pay attention. No trip is perfect here or anywhere, so just know you limits and enjoy the trip wherever you roam. If you head down this way let me know. I am close and visit often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94