pinion shimming XJ

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I have a 89 xj aw4 231. I installed a BDS 2" long add a leaf. My pinion is at 5* and tcase at 1*. I need to shim the pinion down. Has anyone else had to do this? Some how i might be the only one on earth that has needed to.

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
I've seen it done, but on the front end. Install caster shims in the direction you need to rotate the pinion.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Go to naxja.org and post up in the modified section or use the "search" feature. You'll have information overload.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I had to shim the rear pinion angle a bit on the '91 XJ that I put a 1.5" add-a-leaf in, and I'm pretty sure I shimmed it down also. If you don't have to do much highway, make sure you drive it around some to settle the springs before you do the correction... Mine was more like 2.5" high at first, but it settled after a few days of driving it around, and then I only needed about 2.5° of correction to make it happy.

Also, you might consider spacing down the T-case mount 1/2" or so. That'll help the u-joint angle at the t-case, which starts getting steep otherwise, and it'll bring things closer to alignment without totally screwing up the t-case shifter. (Though you might have to adjust it if you do drop the t-case.)
Chris

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I shimmed the pinion down 4* after work today, it made it worse. The thing that confuses me is I had a short leaf aal for about 2" for 10,000 miles with out any problem other then ****ty ride. I put in a 2.5 from RE and it put me about 3'', started getting this grinding noise when coasting, no load. I installed BDS 2" aal (I sold the short leaf) the grinding isn't as bad but its there still. Its driving me nuts, that's why im asking stupid questions on the internet.
everything else is all cool and the gang (new ujoints, overhauled the tcase, swapped in a 8.25

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles