Pie iron

tae73

Observer
Anyone else do there cooking in pie irons? Love making pizza kind of like mini calzones, I have also made deserts pie also. Curious if others use them and what you like to cook in them.

trae

Adventurer
Anyone else do there cooking in pie irons? Love making pizza kind of like mini calzones, I have also made deserts pie also. Curious if others use them and what you like to cook in them.

How do you cook with pie irons? Stick it into the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhulesAU

Explorer
lightly scrambled egg and sausage in flour tortillas.
fruit pie filling and croissants in the tube

tae73

Observer
How do you cook with pie irons? Stick it into the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can they will cook pretty fast depending your fire, I use my single burner stove and just turn it over after a couple of minutes.

debo75

How about a jumbo pie iron? I just picked up one of these recently. Haven't tried it out yet though.

https://www.duckblindbistro.com/

15f73d_3ec9b179562f48f580dabe9e1c75980c.jpg

02rangeredge

Adventurer
When I was a kid, we made pancakes in them, it's not easier than the traditional way, but they keep children occupied really well, also they're perfect for grilled cheese or paninis

Correus

Adventurer
Love using them - while camping, bonfires at home or even chimineas!

We have one that was designed for corn dogs even!

If you can source the old, vintage cast iron ones do so!

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Love using them - while camping, bonfires at home or even chimineas!

We have one that was designed for corn dogs even!

If you can source the old, vintage cast iron ones do so!
I got a cast iron one last year at Menards, just 5 bucks and it came with a recipe book

Scoutman

Explorer
We used to carry a double one and used it occasionally. Eventually we took it out of our kit cause it was just another toy that didn't get used often enough.

My favorite recipe was doing 'fried pies'. We used the cinnamon swirl bread or raisin bread, buttered side to the iron and filled with either apple pie filling or some homemade spiced apple sauce. Cook till Alton Brown would say, "golden brown and delicious".IMG_20151005_193648_665.jpg

tae73

Observer
What are your favorite recipes? How do you make a calzone in the pie iron?

I use spray butter on the bread put that to the outside of the iron, then on top one of the bread slices load it up with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings and cheese. Close up and put over coals or stove for about 4 minutes per side open and enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles