PICTURE THREAD: Post up your Mobile HAM setups

rgallant

Adventurer
I considered it, Pacific Northwest here, I put radio body in a rear under floor storage compartment inside a plastic container. So if my entire truck is in more than 3 ft of water my radio is toast. But really it is a minor issue at that point, as the truck is toast too, computer would be under water as well.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Fit perfectly where the ash tray normally goes. Don't keep anything in it anyways, since it likes to slide open and eject all of its contents as soon as i leave pavement.
image1_zpsfeuyhmah.jpg

That thing looks pretty darn cool for the form factor alone. I thought it was just a remote faceplate mount at first, lol.

Imagine my surprise when I saw it was a full mobile radio, 25W, and that price ain't bad either - http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=296_26_881&products_id=1858

Looks very tempting even though I had my heart set on something else already. How's it performing so far and what antenna are you running?

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Where i live it's absolutely a possibility. Being stupid or not. But won't go into the reasons.

So I guess this question is aimed at people in wet environments that may have thought of the unintended situation as being a plausible one.

The main body of my radio is mounted in the back of my 4Runner on the wheel-well bulge. That keeps it way from open windows that might let in rain. If water is so deep that it gets the radio wet then I have bigger problems! :elkgrin:
The remote control head is on the dash.

Thoreau

On the vhf side its higher than ham freqs, but most of the specified uhf range is ham.

Theres nothing within range that would be legal to use that radio without SOME license. Ham for 420-450, lmr for almost all of the rest. That radio would also be illegal on frs and murs. Probably gmrs as well.

Hell, lacking part 90 certification rules it out for any licensed lmr operation too.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
If you look at the description the frequencies listed are outside of the HAM bands. So you could only really talk to people who had the same radio.

I did guess that they were outside of the ham bands but there are rules for those frequencies too. I suspect the sellers are not following any sort of FCC band plan and the frequencies in those radios could cause interference to licensed users..

tgreening

Expedition Leader
On the vhf side its higher than ham freqs, but most of the specified uhf range is ham.

Theres nothing within range that would be legal to use that radio without SOME license. Ham for 420-450, lmr for almost all of the rest. That radio would also be illegal on frs and murs. Probably gmrs as well.

Hell, lacking part 90 certification rules it out for any licensed lmr operation too.

Not a single mention of any licensing requirements, and as you mentioned, no part 90 cert. Anything to make a buck these days it seems, legal or not.

And you know what? I wouldn't buy one just because their pitch man just about drove me nuts blabbing "you know what" about 200 times in that 5 minute video.

brushogger

Explorer
Here's the mount I built for my FJC for the Yaesu 1802m and the scangauge. It uses the screws that attach the rear view mirror.
0c499e22ad56ccf7fe21a1c96e99e948.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles