paddlenbike

Adventurer
Numbchux, I have the same big van/small garage problem:
26518230607_80ee83925a_b.jpg

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
SMOKER,
What's WSI paint?
I've thought the other day of doing mine in the opposite colors as yours! Tan with OD accents.
Where do you get your paint? I stumbled across a site last week that has old WWII paints.

Sorry, I was in a hurry and typo-ed, the paint is GCI, they are a supplier for military paint, the color is 24052 semi-gloss USMC forrest green. I like the semi gloss as its more stain resistant than full flat paint. I get it from a guy on ebay, see below. He also sells a package of paint chip samples, I highly recommend as all computer screens show something different. Im installing the lift right now, should look a lot tougher with a few more inches of height.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Milit...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Reactions: WVI

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
I just bought a black 1990 Ford E350 ex SWAT/Ambo van with a 7.3 IDI diesel and a really cool suicide door on the driver side, will post photos as soon as it shows up. I also just picked up this 1994 Chevy G30 turtletop, aka The Big Fugly. With a couple inches of lift and a big tire this thing will block out the sun... I just measured this thing, 9'6" as best I can tell, jeez...20628.jpeg

Last edited:

B^2

Observer
View attachment 447756View attachment 447757View attachment 447758

Here's my blue whale, a new to me '03 7.3 EB cargo. Just came back from paint because my family said I couldn't drive around the neighborhood in a creepy white van. It also had some surface rust and one side was severely dinged and looked like a giant golf ball (it was as if the van was laying on it's side and was pelted by hail). I had considered a front clip swap while getting the paint done because I had a line on all the parts. But I decided I prefer the original front end. First thing I did after paint was have a set of Vantage Optics lights installed. It's going to be a slow simple build. I think I'll keep her 2WD for a while.

The paint looks stellar, love the color and the way it goes with the wheels. Will you be keeping it stock? I vaguely recall hearing about a reliability mod where people swap in the transmission cooler from the 6.0 engine because it's larger. Good luck with everything!

Smoker

Observer
The paint looks stellar, love the color and the way it goes with the wheels. Will you be keeping it stock? I vaguely recall hearing about a reliability mod where people swap in the transmission cooler from the 6.0 engine because it's larger. Good luck with everything!

Thanks. I’m going to focus on the interior and run it 2WD and stock for as long as possible. If it turns out I would benefit from 4WD for my type of use I will explore some mods. If 2WD serves me well I may do a mild lift like Weldtec.

echelon_john

Hi all,
I'm new here, so a little background. I'm 48, a long time bike rider; have fabricated bike frames, and still build custom bike wheels as a hobby business. Have done a fair amount of motorcycle touring (BMW 1150GS) throughout the east coast of the US and Canada. My main career is in marketing. I had a health scare earlier this spring that has me refocusing a bit on working a little less, and doing a lot more exploring/LIVING! My wife and I rented a campervan from Escape Campervans a couple of months ago and did a big loop in the Southwest; that set the hook, and I've been keeping an eye out for a van/conversion candidate since. Fast forward to a week ago, and I found a van on Craigslist in Wisconsin (I'm in Vermont) that looked like a time capsule. Within hours, someone had posted it on the "Found" thread here. I spoke with the owner, who couldn't have been nicer, more transparent or helpful. The story behind the van's history checked out 100%; ironically, it had spent the first ~3 years of its life in VT about 20 minutes from me before going to its most recent owner in Wisconsin. I got on a plane last Thursday, picked the van up on Friday morning, and by Saturday night it was home in my driveway, after completing the 1000mi drive like a champ.

The van is a 2002 Ford E250EXT Turtle Top conversion van. 78k miles. Zero rust! What attracted me to it was how little I would need to do initially to begin using/enjoying it. I'm not afraid of projects but this has been so well maintained that there's very little that "needs" doing; what I'm planning is mostly around retrofitting for sleeping/gear storage. I will be doing this with a bed/drawer unit that I'm going to start fabricating this weekend. It won't be NEARLY as in-depth or interesting as the more involved builds here, but I'll post pics and whatever I learn as I get into the project.

If anyone else has experience with Turtle Tops I'd be happy to hear any advice/things to look out for/etc. The brand is well-regarded, and the company has been super helpful about sending the info they have on my van (wiring schematics, basic specs, etc.) but more info is always helpful. I have all the basic Ford E250 info so I'm good on that front.

Anyway, here are some "Before" pics showing the van in its current state, with more to come as I get into it:

Attachments

• IMG_4649.JPG
    IMG_4649.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4650.JPG
    IMG_4650.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4651.JPG
    IMG_4651.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4652.JPG
    IMG_4652.JPG