Pics of your VAN! Post up!

Jsweezy

Explorer
I am constantly on a look out for AWD/4WD or rare oddball vans. Yesterday I drove home in a 2008 Chevrolet Express 3500 extended van with a high top and rear wheelchair lift that Im very excited about. The thing that is really interesting about this rig is that it came from the factory with a 6.6L duramax diesel under the hood, makes is super rare and really fun to drive, pulling out into traffic and getting up to speed is not an issue. I am seriously considering rolling this monster over to Salt Lake City for a full 4WD conversion...

Your van looks good! Do you know if the 6.6l feels the same as the one in the trucks?

86cj

Explorer
View attachment 346008View attachment 346009
For anyone considering the Traxda key lift kit for your AWD express van, here's my 2000 mile update opinion. Get it done, the ride, posture, body roll and handling is far superior to stock, especially on a 150K mile rig that has evolved into a soft/spongy ride. I got about 2 inches of front lift (not the 3 inches advertised) but overall I am very happy with the end result, no downside what so ever. With the addition of 265/75/16 load E Cooper AT3 tires this van looks like what it is, a 4WD rig ready for some outdoor adventure. Installation took about 3.5 hours (would be faster the next time) then an alignment, tires and it felt like a new van, much more fun to drive. If you have been on the fence about this modification, just do it, you will not regret it.

Very well said, Get it done....................

Then take it back in the woods and post pictures, they will go off the beaten path quite well..................

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Spring storm dropped a quick 6" and shut down Donner. CHP...

Looks like we're crashing here tonight, god I love vans!

20160520_192517_zpsxewdaecd.jpg

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I am constantly on a look out for AWD/4WD or rare oddball vans. Yesterday I drove home in a 2008 Chevrolet Express 3500 extended van with a high top and rear wheelchair lift that Im very excited about. The thing that is really interesting about this rig is that it came from the factory with a 6.6L duramax diesel under the hood, makes is super rare and really fun to drive, pulling out into traffic and getting up to speed is not an issue. I am seriously considering rolling this monster over to Salt Lake City for a full 4WD conversion...

Man what a sweet find! In 4wd it would be even better.

Figured I should get some "before" pics up before I get my pop top put on.
I've had it just about a year.
It's a 2000 e150. Low-ish miles (just pushing 80k). Pretty nice interior conversion with 2 quick release captains chairs and a bench/bed.
I know everyone takes off the running boards, but they don't bug me much, and with 2 kids under 3, they're pretty nice for kid ingress and egress.

photo 1 (1).JPG

van1.JPG

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
It feels like a Duramax should to a point, from what I have read they detune the engine some so that the L480E trans behind it will survive as an Allison trans will not physically fit in the chassis. I also own an 02 GMC Savana with an 8.1L big blobk in it, it too should have an Allison but same fit problem, same trans.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Your van looks good! Do you know if the 6.6l feels the same as the one in the trucks?

It feels like a Duramax should to a point, from what I have read they detune the engine some so that the L480E trans behind it will survive as an Allison trans will not physically fit in the chassis. I also own an 02 GMC Savana with an 8.1L big blobk in it, it too should have an Allison but same fit problem, same trans.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Added a roof top tent to the big van...

IMG_20160522_175226_536.jpgIMG_20160522_175250_684.jpgIMG_20160522_175304_809.jpgIMG_20160522_101547_516.jpgIMG_20160519_190659_643.jpgIMG_20160519_190541_126.jpgIMG_20160523_130527_136.jpg
We added a camo Tepui RTT to the Zombie van (AKA, Richard Weed) just a day before we left for Great Sand Dunes Nation Park. We are not normally KOA people but its what we had easily available and our kids loved it with a playground, other kids etc. It was hard to wrap my head around the cost of an RTT but having taken the plunge I have zero regret. It was also fun to have every kid in the camp ground begging to climb the ladder, parents and random people taking pics, asking questions etc. For my kids this is a huge, mobile tree house that sits almost 9ft off the ground, they will never forget this summer. The hatches in the roof of the van make it easy and safe for them to enter and exit the tent. If you have been considering one of these tents, do it, you can always move it to another rig, they retain their value used and they should last just about forever with the cover taking the UV abuse rather than the tent. You only live once, get an RTT and go have some fun. Jim

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Hatches? Details! I was kicking around this idea for my Ambo, 'cause it would make it so much safer to wake up and do some early morning Zombie plinking, but was at a loss how to accomplish the mechanics of the hatch itself.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
026.jpg028.jpg032.jpgIMG_20160402_112848_100.jpgIMG_20160402_113340_256.jpg
Hatches? Details! I was kicking around this idea for my Ambo, 'cause it would make it so much safer to wake up and do some early morning Zombie plinking, but was at a loss how to accomplish the mechanics of the hatch itself.
This van was 1 of 2 built for photographing grizzlies and wildlife, thus all the custom sliding windows and 3 huge roof top hatches. They are extremely heavy duty, fold forward and snap into holders on the roof etc. I do not see anything on them that indicates a manufacturer so unfortunately I cannot direct you in a direction to duplicate them. My daughters and just about every kid in the hood ends up on the roof, is by far their favorite place to play.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles