Pics of your VAN! Post up!

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I'm a long time viewer of Expedition Portal. I'm now feeling compelled to share my van. A 2004 Astro with a 4in lift and a freshly installed pop-top off a mid-nineties Aerostar Chinook. I plan to post a formal build thread here eventually once I find some free time. But for now, here's my van after I installed the pop-top.

View attachment 363087
Good looking van, nice work and looking forward to your build thread!

jdreier

Observer
Good looking van, nice work and looking forward to your build thread!
Thanks man. I have to admit, your build has been a inspiration for mine. I can't count how many times i've gone through the threads on here while gathering info for my lift and other astro / camper related things.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
If you were referring to me, I hope to put some heavy duty springs in the rear for load and a mild lift. - but that will be awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was... heavier springs would also do the job. I've used air bags with good results... More flex,better ride, adjust-ability.That said, only after going the spring route didn't give the desired results.

It's also tempting to use a set in the front... but time will tell. I'm getting used to the new rear springs.

RIMG0039.jpg

It is leveler than it looks... the driveway also has a slope. It does slope about 5" in 21'

radorsch

Adventurer
Was Everyone in Yellowstone?

We were also in the Yellowstone area the first couple weeks of August. Mostly camped in Lizard Creek Grand Teton and explored Yellowstone and Grand Teton from there. We also spent a few days up near Livingston MT and kayaked on Jackson Lake. Phenomenally beautiful.
Just got back on Tue night from our trip. Looks like I don't have many pictures... I think they are all on the wife's good camera. But here are a couple ok ones.

Our first campsite in Grand Teton
image.jpg

Raia enjoying the view of Grand Prismatic Springs runoff
image.jpg

Our main campsite in Lizard Creek for exploring Yellowstone and Grand Teton
image.jpg

A little paddling on Jackson Lake
image.jpg

Jim Oaks

Observer
I'm a long time viewer of Expedition Portal. I'm now feeling compelled to share my van. A 2004 Astro with a 4in lift and a freshly installed pop-top off a mid-nineties Aerostar Chinook. I plan to post a formal build thread here eventually once I find some free time. But for now, here's my van after I installed the pop-top.

View attachment 363087
Great looking van! I'd love to see a build thread on this as well.

Accrete

Explorer
Ditto on the nice Astro van JD...and on seeing any future build thread.

I would totally dig having an Astro...I guess it would be sort of a mini-me next to our Express : )
Thom

Recommended books for Overlanding

Accrete

Explorer
Wanna trade? :)
;) tempting

Don't know if you've followed what i'm now calling the seven year itch syndrome van research? (_link for curious minds_ and then several reply's by others follow.)

Short version; the rig, which we enjoy, is almost six years old, and with just a couple of desired mods left to do (we're upgrading the suspension next winter), we have the itch to build a van version 2.

: ) Thom

jdreier

Observer
I've come across your build a couple times, especially when I was looking for fiberglass hightop builds. I wish I would have gone the awd express route three years ago when I bought my Astro, but I'm so far involved in my rig right now.

Accrete

Explorer
...I wish I would have gone the awd express route three years ago when I bought my Astro, but I'm so far involved in my rig right now.
Your rig rocks jd, there's always a future build.
My only words of wisdom would be try to do what you can to keep that Astro in the family (i'm assuming it is AWD? I see what looks like the center dif housing under there?). The Astro makes a great adventure rig and daily driver. I see several on the Oregon Coast in the AWD trim.

: ) Thom

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Nice suburban. My family has a 9th gen 2000 model like that one. It just refuses to die. Body crumbling from rust, 250k miles, multiple fender benders. Just keeps on rolling.

A bit short inside for camper duty though. Now a sprinter, that will solve the headroom problems for sure. :Wow1: