Pics of your favorite fly water

The_Squid

Reviving this thread... hopefully some more people will post too!

Elk River on Vancouver Island has some great fly fishing for rainbows and coastal cutthroat trout. The odd dolly Varden too.

tempImageusYdPk.jpg

tempImagetlF8hp.jpg

tempImageLltwRz.jpg

The beaver lodge at the estuary has a nice pool that holds some big cutthroat.

tempImagei25qPX.jpg

West coast weather.....

tempImagecgZb2G.jpg

chaosinwest

My home water is Deckers/Cheeseman Canyon area on the South Platte in Colorado. Anyone coming to Colorado to fish, please contact me. I get out most weekends. This summer I fished 4 rivers in 4 days... Here are some pics:

This is on the North Fork of the South Platte, in Bailey Colorado:

image.jpg

This next one is on the Deschutes River and was the first of 4 rivers I fished in 4 days.

IMG_20210901_192732.jpg

This is the Yakima River in Washington. I only had about an hour to fish here and then move on.

IMG_20210904_135211.jpg

This next one is from the Little Hole on the Green River in Utah.

IMG_20210905_135149.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the Eagle River on the way back. I fish there pretty often. But, I just recently floated the Colorado River near Pumphouse. It was a little cold out.

IMG_20211017_081527.jpg

Adam_Cole

South Canyon of the Yakima River, only blue ribbon river in Washington.

ba00a98998bb7048625d9975bd95e5a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Squid

Kayak fly fishing on a lake nearby. I wasn’t very successful, but it should pick up with some warmer weather.

2BC167AB-06D0-49CE-8F72-A6E4CDA0CA45.jpeg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Here’s a pic of my favorite fly swatter:

A340EB05-BA44-4B39-A434-201A73FF6DDE.jpeg

Oh wait…never mind (darn dyslexia ☹)

Last edited:

aknightinak

Looks fantastic! I have never caught a grayling, but we are going to head up North this summer, so hopefully I can find some spots.

Where did you get that beauty (without giving away your secret spot)?

I love those things, so eager to hit a bug. There are days of grayling fishing where I end up saying, "Well, maybe they should call it catching instead of fishing."

That creek is a few miles off the Denali Highway. I'm not sure it still exists in that state. I wasn't able to get to it with my current rig on the last attempt, and in the recovery attempt that ensued before I hiked out, the folks who tried to help told me that the bend where I used to camp has been bought as a mining claim in the years since I'd been there.

Generally, in Southcentral Alaska I find grayling in more prolific numbers the closer I get to the Alaska Range (or north of it) starting in about Willow. On the other highway, north of the Matanuska Glacier the numbers get better. The Denali Highway is pretty well regarded for the number of grayling streams along it.

Then, their life cycle is such that river-run fish enter smaller creeks from lakes or glacial rivers in the spring. When they do this---here's the 'secret'---they repopulate streams hierarchically, so the larger ones range further upstream. In the fall, they drop back out into the bigger water in reverse, larger ones first. I timed it right to witness it once, late October from Windy Creek into the Susitna River, and it was mad: thousands of fish in schools sliding backwards out under the ice that was forming on the main river channel, the 12 and up fish furthest out, the 8-12s next, followed by schools of the smallest still lingering in the mouth of the clearwater trib, all perfectly arranged by size.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Right in town, where truly “a river runs through it.”

Cold, fast, rocky and shallow…great trout habitat, and the bonus is we can walk here right from home in only about 15 minutes (not the best picture, just a quick shot on our hike the other day with my phone).

B7DB9FCB-B714-42D7-8E83-6739E15B370A.jpeg

Last edited:

The_Squid

The lake/reservoir (it's controlled with a dam) was low, but the river was high... these were absolutely ideal conditions a few weeks ago!

IMG_1515.jpgtempImageCokdTN.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles