Pics of your Ambulance. Post Up!

patoz

Expedition Leader
I cut mine in half and am building an off-road camper/bug out trailer out of it. It started as a 1993 E350 Wheeled Coach Type III Ambulance with a 7.3 diesel engine. It had over 230,000 miles on it, so it was not worth rebuilding, however the rear body is in excellent shape. I replaced the stock rear axle with a Rockwell 10,000 lb trailer axle with electric brakes, since it weighs about 5,100 lbs. empty. I've been working mostly on the outside, but it's slow going.

HPIM1129 - cropped.jpg

HPIM1198.JPG
HPIM1132.jpg

HPIM1323.jpg

HPIM1133.jpg

TShad67

Not much to luck at, for now.

Max is over 40 now but runs like a top. Should be be 4X4 by the end of summer. I wish he could fit in my garage! :Wow1:

Attachments

• P3010004.jpg
    P3010004.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 57
  • P3010003.jpg
    P3010003.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 64
  • P3010001.jpg
    P3010001.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 62
  • P3010002.jpg
    P3010002.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 65

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Max is over 40 now but runs like a top. Should be be 4X4 by the end of summer. I wish he could fit in my garage! :Wow1:

Outstanding! You need some equally "aged" motorcycles to haul with it. I recommend Trail 90s. They're lightweight and be stowed almost anywhere.

Any photos of the interior?

Simonblyth

Here's my Veteran Ambulance

She's a 1964 Renault Goelette R2087 - she's drivable now but not road legal

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

florence_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Man that's cool as cold snot but I swear to god, it looks like it would roll over if you turned the wheel sitting still.

Simonblyth

Amazingly it's not bad offroad - the center of gravity is quite low but she's only got a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine that couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Amazingly it's not bad offroad - the center of gravity is quite low but she's only got a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine that couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding!

I figured that must be the case with the COG, otherwise it'd be instant death. Not much for gears in it? My Unimog sports a whopping 88hp but gets by because it's geared like a stinking tractor, which in reality is what it is. Tractor with a truck body. Hard to beat for "Cool because it's so Dang Ugly" though. Mercedes made a van body Mog very similar to your Renault and I'd have one in a second if the opportunity popped up, and I'd had few too many. :)

MikeCG

Adventurer
We picked up a 2000 7.3l diesel mini-modd today. More pictures and long-term build thread coming soon.

Well, Not much happened in the last 10 months, really. I noticed after getting it home and doing through it, that there were no house batteries and now inverter/charger. I added a Harbor freight power converter and two car batteries for now. I had to remove the light bar and black out all the red emergency lights to get it through inspection when I got it home. I install a PS3 and TV, and made a bed out of 2x4s and a futon frame/mattress and used it for camping all last summer/fall. This winter, has been an issue. It appears to have either a bad MAP sensor, issues with the vacuum lines, or both. It refuses to idle until warmed up for about 15 minutes. I'm working on that and I've stripped out the bed to rebuild it into a working futon that folds up and down. And some local hoodlum was nice enough to remove the PS3 so I can upgrade the entertainment. I need to get rolling so I can use it again this year.

I've also done a good bit of research. I'm trying to keep it off-grid capable. I've researched into how to keep it livable without having to run the engine, or plug in. I'm looking into plans for about 600W of solar. I want to keep power draw to a minimum. RV A/C units run on 110Vac and draw just as much power as a house window unit. It would take up most of the power that the solar is providing, plus converting from DC to A/C is inefficient any way. I've started looking into No Idle systems for Semi trucks. They run on D/C power, and come with there own power source. Some claim you be able to run for 10 hours on their power pack, and have a vehicle battery protection system that will only charge to pack if you vehicles is running with it's batteries fully charged. They also have an optional plug in charging adapter.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I've started looking into No Idle systems for Semi trucks. They run on D/C power, and come with there own power source. Some claim you be able to run for 10 hours on their power pack, and have a vehicle battery protection system that will only charge to pack if you vehicles is running with it's batteries fully charged. They also have an optional plug in charging adapter.

If you have links for any of this, I would love to see them.

Thanks..

patoz

Expedition Leader
This is one of the systems I like the most. I haven't looked into pricing yet, but if my math is right the Sleeping Well Oblo will have a max draw of 348W and a minimum of 180W. Three decent sided solar panels can handle that with a little to spare.

http://www.sleepingwell.net/Lit-Manuals.htm

Thanks for the info, and I'll look through it carefully. Since I only have 66" of ceiling height, and I'm trying very hard not drill or cut any holes in the roof or mount anything on there except the solar panels, I'm more interested on something like the Artic Plus system.

Here is another thread I just found that you may want to look at. I haven't read it yet myself, but it looks like it may have some good info also.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-12v-air-conditioner-Indel-Sleeping-Well-Cube

MikeCG

Adventurer
Here is another thread I just found that you may want to look at. I haven't read it yet myself, but it looks like it may have some good info also.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-12v-air-conditioner-Indel-Sleeping-Well-Cube

Ya, I found that thread and posted the info in it too. I believe the Sleep Well Arctic 1000 is the same as the Oblo as far as output and power requirements, but it isn't a roof mounted system. I believe it's 3 separate pieces, The Power Pack, heat exchanger and condenser are all mounted separately. The part I like about the Oblo is that it's all in one. I have a mini-mod box ambulance so I can give up a small amount of space on the roof for it, and I'm figuring that would put it right over the be for maximum effect while sleeping.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I may end up having to do that also, but only as a last resort. Install yours and let me know how it goes. :D

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I may end up having to do that also, but only as a last resort. Install yours and let me know how it goes. :D

I was looking through some pics today and came across one of your rig hooked up to your truck and it occurred to me. There is no reason (or excuse!) that you can't slap half a ujoint kit under that bugger and get 'er up on some 35s. Give that camper some 'tude man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles