Pics of mobile HF antenna installs

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
my homebrew mount is a 3/8"X2"X18" aluminum flat stock attached to the receiver tube, so239 with 3/8x24 flush mount

I run a 54" mast with a 102" whip on top of that, the LDG AT7000 autotuner will tune this from 60M to 6M without any problem

every once in a while I add on my homebrew bugcatcher coil to get lower in freq, though it has to be guided off

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Overtime the GQD got stuck and so I ditched it. The antenna is a Model 75 Tarheel. Worked well for what I needed. I'd say was a good antenna 10-60 and mediocre on 80. How much was my bad install? Probably a lot.

Later on I did weld that antenna bracket but it never stayed. Will be doing Breedlove next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Oh and the screwdriver tuned fine. Grounding! Grounding! Grounding! It's everything. You need to ground an install well to avoid RF (which once stalked my engine on 40) and ensure best performance.

I have the antenna but not installed.

Now I understand how you got away with using a lip mount. That Stubby 75 does look interesting.

I have to pay attention to power limitations as I do have an Ameritron ALS500M amp if needed. Figured since I have it might as well install it just in case it is ever needed.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I swapped the lip mount to a rejiggered CB mount that bolts to the quarter panel. I had that welded to the rear C pillar.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Not a big cool wheeling rig or a big cool antenna, it's my daily and it gets the job done. I should say it WAS my daily until someone crossed over center and hit me head on. I have a 2000 XJ now but no good pictures of it or the antennas but using the same setup so just imagine this XJ is red. :rolleyes:

97XJ.jpg

Frdmskr

Adventurer
So on the topic of these antennas. Do those who mount to the rear quarter panel regret that choice while on a trail?

Not a big cool wheeling rig or a big cool antenna, it's my daily and it gets the job done. I should say it WAS my daily until someone crossed over center and hit me head on. I have a 2000 XJ now but no good pictures of it or the antennas but using the same setup so just imagine this XJ is red. :rolleyes:

View attachment 367421

Nice setup. I like where you mounted the VHF/UHF antenna.

I would think with the HF antenna mounted that low on the body that it would seriously effect antenna tuning.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Nice setup. I like where you mounted the VHF/UHF antenna.

Thank you. My trail Jeep has the vhf/uhf antenna on the roof and I can tell a difference but I didn't want to drill holes in this one...or the new one. The vhf/uhf antenna that appears to be "centered" on the Jeep in the picture is actually on the passenger rear corner on a crossbar I made to hold my mountain bike. Being a 1/2 wave on 2m the antenna isn't so ground dependent and the antenna checks out fine with the analyzer.

I would think with the HF antenna mounted that low on the body that it would seriously effect antenna tuning.

Not really, the main coil portion of the antenna is above the roofline. With the 20m stick I don't use the internal tuner and get about a 1.2+/- swr. The 40m stick isn't as good on the new Jeep, I need to spend some time and bond the hood, exhaust, etc to the rest of the body. The 40m stick was good on the blue Jeep though so I know it can be done. I also run a 102" on the same mount but I am thinking of getting a 10m stick and leaving the 102" on the trail Jeep. With 3 HF antennas I can cover 6m, 10-12m, 15m, 20m, and 40m with either no tuner or using the radios internal tuner. Sure you have to get out and change the antennas but that's easy, and the antennas break down to fit into the back of the Jeep.

Last edited:

unseenone

Explorer
Now I understand how you got away with using a lip mount. That Stubby 75 does look interesting.

I have to pay attention to power limitations as I do have an Ameritron ALS500M amp if needed. Figured since I have it might as well install it just in case it is ever needed.

I'd love to play with the ALS500M, first order of business is to get the antenna mounted, and tuned perfectly.... What are you planning on feeding it with? Lines, length, battery, etc.

Thanks--

I'd love to play with the ALS500M, first order of business is to get the antenna mounted, and tuned perfectly.... What are you planning on feeding it with? Lines, length, battery, etc.

Thanks--
I have a triple battery setup. With the third battery in the rear. It is fed with 1/0 from the isolation relay up front, about 12 feet. My alternator is only 160 Amp for now. If I need a bigger alternator I will have to swap out to an 8 rib belt instead of the 6 rib I have now. Distance from the amp to the battery is very short so 2 ga will be plenty large enough for that. On the peaks it might hit 80 amp spikes. If I have a problem with voltage sag I can always get some of those giant capacitors to handle the peaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online