4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Hi,

here is the different from Stock to the ORC (it's about 9,8" (25 cm)):
Gmog_163.jpg

Custom made Unimog Portal Axle:
Gmog_020.jpg
Hubba Hubba... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
there seem to be alot of rigs on portals coming out of the wood-woork lately...or maybe I'm just reading alot of build threads with them... Either way, that is flat out awesome. I always LOVED TiredIron's 80 on VOlvo Portals and this truck is amazing too. Any chance of some wheeling shots or better yet vids????
I always love seeing these things ("smaller" portal swaped rigs) out on the trail as they literaly "walk" over/through boulder fields that have even comp-style buggies with standard low hanging center sections either hung up or taking very creative lines trying to get through.

Blah blah blah I talk too much... Great Truck!!!!

And here are a few more for the G-Wagen folks. THe "Disco Penthouse" thread led me to snooping about in Innovation Campers site...pretty poorly working site(maybe it's my comp but it had alot of wierd lay-out and loading issues) and I don't speak German, but I managed to find a few amazing trucks (let's be honest, they're all pretty sweet)

mercedes_g_b01.jpg

mercedes_g_b02.jpg

And another one that is a little less extreme but no less awesome and alot more low key then the yellow one...
mercedes_g_b06.jpg

and as a side note... anyone know anything about BREMACH trucks??? I've seen them before, but I can't seem to find much about them, maybe I'll start a thread in the "other" section...

Cheers

DAve

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a completely different approach to G-wagen adventure travel.

rogers-glk-2.jpg

Billionaire Jim Rogers made a fortune in international investing in the 1970s. Rogers retired in 1980, and proceeded to ride a BMW motorcycle around the world. Rogers repeated his long-distance ride in 1990, logging more than 100,000 miles on the road.

Rogers got the travel bug again in 1997. For this trip, Rogers wanted a combination of sporty car luxury and off-road competence. Rogers' design team noticed that the 1997 Mercedes SLK two-seat convertible and the shorter Gelandewagen share the same wheelbase. The body of the SLK was adapted to the G-wagen chassis, and a small trailer was designed.

rogers-glk-0.jpg

Rogers and his companion (later wife) Paige Parker started their trip in 1999. By 2002, the pair had traveled 152,000 miles and visited 116 countries

rogers-glk-1.jpg

While Rogers was treated like royalty whenever he visited a capital city, his trip also involved plenty of nights in marginal accommodations, and camping.

rogers-glk-3.jpg

Rogers has a web site that talks about the trip http://www.jimrogers.com
The book, "Adventure Capitalist," describes the trip in detail.

Chip Haven

Harald Hansen

Explorer
An Overland Journal subscriber just sent this:

I know the owner. It's a Norwegian military-spec ambulance with a self-built camping interior. The owner used existing mounting holes for everything, so it can be returned to its original state easily. He's a real Iceland freak, and has been there 8 times or so with different vehicles.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mercedes AG was so interested in the publicity that Rogers' trip
would generate that the company donated the SLK and the short
wheelbase Gelandewagen to the project.

Rarely photographed, and only briefly mentioned in accounts of
the trip, a Mercedes truck accompanied Rogers' vehicle. The
truck was filled with spare parts, tools, and camping gear. The
vehicle was driven by a pair of mechanics.

Indiana Drew

Observer
Mercedes AG was so interested in the publicity that Rogers' trip
would generate that the company donated the SLK and the short
wheelbase Gelandewagen to the project.

Rarely photographed, and only briefly mentioned in accounts of
the trip, a Mercedes truck accompanied Rogers' vehicle. The
truck was filled with spare parts, tools, and camping gear. The
vehicle was driven by a pair of mechanics.

Is the truck you mention the G300 LWB mentioned on Roger's web site?

Bernhard

Hi,
I'm Bernhard and the G ex norwegian army ambulance mine. A 1988 300 w/u turbo, 69000 km on the clock. Yes, I've been to Iceland, in 2002 Volvo laplander ex No Army, 2003 LR SIII 109" ex No Army, 2005-08 with the G. A very good car but a little under powered 88HP only and nearly 7000 lbs. I've a 300 turbo engine to put in.

Bernhard
Oslo, Norway

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles