Picky Rving

rich1833

Observer
Im looking for some help. My wife and I know before we got married that we wanted to travel. We did some when I was in the military. But after we had our first son the traveling slowed way down. With 3 boys is hard to do a lot of traveling. More like weekend getaways/camping trips. Well the kids are getting older and it is time to start getting some plans in place. Once the kids finish school and move out we are selling our house and living on the road. We would like to start getting a rig put together but are just in the research phase. We do need to narrow it down a lot and that why Im coming to the forum for help. Here are some stuff on our list. We would like....

4x4
Diesel
Under 30ft long bumper to bumper
Under 8ft wide (prefer 7.5 wide)
No wood in the frame/shell
Larger water tanks (enough for 2 people for at least 14days)
A full time bed RV queen or larger (no couches or tables that turn into beds)
Heat and air (full time living in it)
The ability for Solar power (panels and batteries)
Diesel generator preferred over propane
large compressor fridge
Compost or cassette toilet

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
It sounds like you will be modifying whatever you chose to start with. I'm not sure a turnkey option exists. Right off the bat I am thinking a van conversion. The trick would be finding a diesel 4x4 and space would be tight for the generator and water tanks.

Maninga

Adventurer
Couple of choices that spring to mind. XPCamper and a Tiger motorhome sound like they'd fit the bill, Canter with either an Earthcruiser/ATW/Custom body build on the back, or a Sportsmobile.

Lot of it's going to depend on your budget, how much work you want to put in, need for space/comfort etc. Water usage for 14 days and air conditioning might be the most interesting pieces.

rich1833

Observer
I really like the xpcamper but we don't feel there is enough storage room. Its just the price you pay for the pop top. I'm also not sure the pop top would be good in the cold.

rich1833

Observer
Some of are favorite rig builds are boblynch 2008 f550 with our choice of custom slide on camper. We also like dtruzinski and his 2012 dodge 5500 with flatbed.

Kiomon

Adventurer
Yeah you may have to look at building something. If you aren't going to go too far off piste then you can probably build on a van chassis (sprinter). Wanting AC and the creature comforts is a weighty endeavor. Check our Airstream or Roadtrek Sprinter based RVs.

And if you want to get dirty and be off road, then... you have to build something. I would get a Mercedes 1017A and make a 17foot box and be done. You could have a permanent bed, couch, a TON of storage, and even a washer and dryer. But it's going to be a lot of work OR a lot of $$$. I think GXV has one for sale now for around $200k, but if you are handy and have time, you could build it probably for around $100k.

Scratch XP off the list, not a lot of storage, no AC, and may be a bit small. Fi you are giving yourself the ability to go up to 30ft, than take the space!

What's the budget? What type of roads will you travel?

rich1833

Observer
I kind of have something like this in mind. Its just a basic floor plan that we like. I made the bathroom and shower on the big side because I don't know what systems are out there. The Nature’s Head Composting toilet is the one we want. We are not set on the Lazy Relaxor but want something along the lines. Webasto X100 Diesel cooker, Webasto dual top Evo 6 diesel heater and water heater, Webasto Compact cooler 5 lite puts out 5kw (17,000 btu) hope to not have to use it but we want one. We will spend a lot of time outside the rig and I still need to draw something up for that but I want to be able to cook outside.

rich1833

Observer
I've read that the composting toilets last 60-80 uses. Does anyone know how often a cassette toilet would last before full ? I know there's different sizes but on average.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
We Travel in It.

Im looking for some help. My wife and I know before we got married that we wanted to travel. We did some when I was in the military. But after we had our first son the traveling slowed way down. With 3 boys is hard to do a lot of traveling. More like weekend getaways/camping trips. Well the kids are getting older and it is time to start getting some plans in place. Once the kids finish school and move out we are selling our house and living on the road. We would like to start getting a rig put together but are just in the research phase. We do need to narrow it down a lot and that why Im coming to the forum for help. Here are some stuff on our list. We would like….

4x4 - Check, with low range and locking rear differential
Diesel -
6l, HiWay speed limited by willingness to pay for fuel or tickets. (12-15mpg)
Under 30ft long bumper to bumper -
23 feet
Under 8ft wide (prefer 7.5 wide) -
7 feet, 1 inch
No wood in the frame/shell -
All aluminum/steel
Larger water tanks (enough for 2 people for at least 14days) -
40 USG
A full time bed RV queen or larger (no couches or tables that turn into beds) -
Fixed Queen bed + couch/double bed
Heat and air (full time living in it) -
Check (Winter tested to 10F) Dual pane windows, R10 on all sides.
The ability for Solar power (panels and batteries) -
500w/600Ah (300 usable)
Diesel generator preferred over propane -
No generator fitted or needed. (250Ah of alternator, if required.)
large compressor fridge -
Small compressor refrigerator
Compost or cassette toilet -
Nature's Head Composting toilet (Cassette optional)
Webasto diesel stove, electric induction cooktop, convection microwave

Under $200,000 with oversized tires, external reservoir shocks, lifted suspension, air bags and on board air, etc.

Last edited:
I think a visit to Marc at XPCamper would be worthwhile for you. My wife and I were never interested in a 'truck camper' until we saw the V1 (we own one now). The V4 seems like it's evolving and could meet your needs. By your criteria you're looking for an off road capable vehicle and the variety of XP models give you some flexibility on the platform you use. We used an F350 6.7 diesel 4x4 with a V1 XP and are very happy with the remote locations we can get to (not to mention the 80 gallons of water, Webasto diesel appliances, cassette toilet etc.).

Marc may have a second V4 under development for a Fuso format. They're great folks and easy to deal with. Spending a morning with them might sway you toward their campers, or maybe not, but either way you'll enjoy the visit to Grass Valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles