Pickup or wait?

Strider

Observer
If your over 5ft 10 make sure you drive it or sit in it for more than 10min. They are ranch trucks for a reason ?
Why? From what I see, the cab is the same dimensions as an FJ40, which I have driven. My friend is 6'2" and has had no problems. I will probably eventually change the seats to something like a Recaro. Plan on making it as comfortable as possible, add sound dampening... it already has very good AC.

Arktikos

Explorer
Why? From what I see, the cab is the same dimensions as an FJ40, which I have driven. My friend is 6'2" and has had no problems. I will probably eventually change the seats to something like a Recaro. Plan on making it as comfortable as possible, add sound dampening... it already has very good AC.

They are renowned for having very little legroom. With a FJ40 it's possible to modify the seat brackets to add some additional, something most people 6 ft. tall or more pretty much have to do out of necessity, with a pickup this is not possible.

Strider

Observer
They are renowned for having very little legroom. With a FJ40 it's possible to modify the seat brackets to add some additional, something most people 6 ft. tall or more pretty much have to do out of necessity, with a pickup this is not possible.

Is this because of the seat being up against the cab? Can't move it back?
If so, hopefully I won't have that issue. I'm 5'11".

Strider

Observer
Right. There's a good chance you will be OK. Let us know how it goes. Pics!
I think so. I'm 5'11", maybe 5'10" now at 55 (I think I've shrunk a bit). But we'll see.

The only pics I have right now are the ones my friend sent (posted below).
Plan is to fly out there (Key Largo) probably in March-and then drive it back, and document the whole thing on video and photos. Would be cool to drive it to Key West, take a pic at the Southernmost Point, and then head to Arizona.
We shall see!

Attachments

• IMG_3965.jpeg
    IMG_3965.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3967.jpeg
    IMG_3967.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3968.jpeg
    IMG_3968.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3969.jpeg
    IMG_3969.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 17

Strider

Observer
I was thinking: about the Troopy vs Pickup thing-mainly the comment about being able to get in and out of the back without getting out of the vehicle. Technically I do agree, as it is not debatable. But... once a center console is installed, like a fridge console, getting in and out of the back becomes a bit of an acrobatic event. I had that experience with a van years ago. Without the console I could go into the back and cab super easily. But once a console was installed, swinging to the right became impossible, and now I had to deal with the steering wheel and my legs etc. It was doable, but not nearly like before.

My point being: by removing the rear window, or by opening up that area, I could get in and out of the rear. Not in lickety-split, but doable-especially in an emergency.

Not sure of the wisdom of opening up the back wall, but its an idea. I don't want to butcher the rig, but I am not a collector. My intention is to have a reliable, capable vehicle that I can travel in and camp in. I don't care for the pristine collectible, or the uber-posh camper either. I really love how Andrew St. Pierre builds his rigs: simple, capable, and comfortable enough.

Strider

Observer
What do you all think are good options for this truck?

Here are ideas I have had:

1. Keep as is and build a removable camper (lightweight) for the back (flip-up top).
  2. Add a flatbed/apple crate and build a removable camper (lightweight) for the back. (flip-up top).
  3. Remove the bed and build a permanent camper on the back. (flip-up top).
  4. Replace cab with a Troopy body.
  5. Replace cab with a 40 body and have a short-bed, with camper on that.
Seems these vehicle are made to be customized. Of course, time and money are huge factors, as well as if it's worth the trouble and expense.

My biggest deal here is that I love the diesel engine.

Of course, I can eventually get a Troopy and have both...

Again, this vehicle would serve as an RV to travel across country and into the wilderness for camping. It would be lightweight (so to speak). Keeping it as a pick-up would allow me to also have the camper: do overlanding and also be able to carry stuff. But, of course, with this setup I have to go outside to access camper/drive. Unless... I open up the rear window area for a pass-through to the camper with a hatch that locks.

I find that even with a Troopy I would be going outside to access the back or to drive, because doing a spelunking maneuver past the steering wheel and over the center console would be rather inconvenient anyway inconvenient. I don;t see much difference between this method in a troopy vs the truck with a hatch to the camper via the former rear window.
Someone did mention the "dog friendly" aspect of the troopy, and I agree, but then, dogs should be in a kennel for safety anyway-methinks.

I would really like to see y'all's opinions and input!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Given the condition of the truck I wouldn't advocate for modifying the bed or replacing it with a build out, it's too clean to cannibalize it. If it were rusted out then I'd be more inclined to explore that option. A slide-in like a FWC or a more simplistic style topper like a GFC or AluCab would get my vote for the versatility and ability to keep it unmolested. You could do a pass through but your sound levels in the cab will increase with a gaiter setup. Unless you plan to only travel 100-150 miles or less per day I think you will find your comfort level to be lacking in this platform for long distance travel.

Strider

Observer
Given the condition of the truck I wouldn't advocate for modifying the bed or replacing it with a build out, it's too clean to cannibalize it. If it were rusted out then I'd be more inclined to explore that option. A slide-in like a FWC or a more simplistic style topper like a GFC or AluCab would get my vote for the versatility and ability to keep it unmolested. You could do a pass through but your sound levels in the cab will increase with a gaiter setup. Unless you plan to only travel 100-150 miles or less per day I think you will find your comfort level to be lacking in this platform for long distance travel.

Thank you for your comment.
I tend to agree with you. Every time I picture an extreme mod, I think of how nice it is and cringe at a permanent drastic change!

What is a "gaiter setup"?

I keep coming back to an AluCab type of deal as part of a removable topper.

The images below are sort of what I am picturing, except with sides and the rear box extending over the cab, with the AluCab style flip up.
This ine here has a flatbed/apple crate, which I really like, but I think the standard bed allows for better standing room with less box height, even with a flip-up top.

I am debating removing the rear window, enlarging the opening, and adding a hatch. But even that May not be worth it. Maybe just replace the rear window with a hatch. This would allow to later put the glass back in if necessary.
Other idea is extending the cab like 20". But it may be about the same cost to get one like that but in aluminum premade. Just bouncing this all around.
4c360ff02cfdfe04a29cab50afff2bae.jpg038e21db6d8ee14ddd7935faf787b724.png
I will definitely be adding some serious soundproofing to this rig!!!

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Nice !!!!!

As the rear body looks very good condition I'd suggest you try and take it off completely and replace it with your camper body. Original body work is a good investment if not molested.

Succes with the build - looking forward to the write up !!

Strider

Observer
Some more inspirations...

Attachments

• 23c8e0578b8e7ace3f8468f324edbe59.jpg
    23c8e0578b8e7ace3f8468f324edbe59.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 8
  • a67e9d105d87a83c2081372f8c241cc4_XL.jpg
    a67e9d105d87a83c2081372f8c241cc4_XL.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 11
  • CK-Teewah-LC45-May-2022-2000px-FSA13261.jpg
    CK-Teewah-LC45-May-2022-2000px-FSA13261.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 12
  • custom-toyota-40-series-land-cruiser-main-(1).jpg
    custom-toyota-40-series-land-cruiser-main-(1).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 12
  • d630e80b15237e2e5968612ffb7e3c20.jpg
    d630e80b15237e2e5968612ffb7e3c20.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 89471c802bbe840e4dc21b401345d1ee.jpg
    89471c802bbe840e4dc21b401345d1ee.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 10
  • tumblr_o1mg2pdgdz1u5vavuo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o1mg2pdgdz1u5vavuo1_1280.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 11

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Thank you for your comment.
I tend to agree with you. Every time I picture an extreme mod, I think of how nice it is and cringe at a permanent drastic change!

What is a "gaiter setup"?

I keep coming back to an AluCab type of deal as part of a removable topper.

The images below are sort of what I am picturing, except with sides and the rear box extending over the cab, with the AluCab style flip up.
This ine here has a flatbed/apple crate, which I really like, but I think the standard bed allows for better standing room with less box height, even with a flip-up top.

I am debating removing the rear window, enlarging the opening, and adding a hatch. But even that May not be worth it. Maybe just replace the rear window with a hatch. This would allow to later put the glass back in if necessary.
Other idea is extending the cab like 20". But it may be about the same cost to get one like that but in aluminum premade. Just bouncing this all around.
View attachment 760115View attachment 760116
I will definitely be adding some serious soundproofing to this rig!!!

By "gaiter" I was referring to a rubber boot of sorts that allows for flex between the cab and the bed/camper. If you did a PCOR tray style setup like the tan one shown in the pics above it would allow you to keep and store the original bed for use later on should you want to sell it or convert it back to stock. It won't be a cheap route to go but it would allow for a UTE style setup that is somewhat easily removed to allow for flatbed use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior