Pickup or wait?

Strider

Observer
Howdy all.
I may have an opportunity to get a Land Cruiser pickup, longbed. FJ45 I think. Diesel. Left hand drive. No power steering (I would install the kit!!!)
A friend of mine owns it and wants a Troopy. Said he'll let me have it at a good price. Will speak with him tomorrow for details. Not sure if he will say to just make payments, or if I will need to get a loan. Not sure I can even swing it right now, but damn it seems an awesome opportunity... AND this happened just now out of the blue!

I have been thinking on it a lot for about a month: the idea of getting an old LC and making it into a camper. I even offered to buy another friend's LC that is sitting in his yard for the last 15 years but he said no, just this last week.
Then, just about an hour ago, I get a text from another friend: "Hey, want a good deal on a Land Cruiser Truck?"
This one is actually running and in great shape!

Now, the Troopy is my favorite, but this is nice! My idea has been to someday get a troopy and set it up as a camper. I have thought of a Class C RV but a LC would let me go pretty much anywhere... albeit using backroads to avoid 75mph highways. I don't mind though. Used to do that even in my 1997 TJ when I lived in the Navajo Reservation.

I could even do a small trailer later; for extra supplies etc.

Traveling at 70+mph does get you places fast, but you miss a lot, and it sucks for fuel economy!

An idea I have is getting or making a camper for the back. Not anything huge, but sort of like a Troopy size back, with a pop up roof for the sleeping level. I may even live out of it for a while with my two dogs.

Seems like the long bed would actually provide more room with the right back section. I could remove the rear window to allow ingress/egress to/from the rear.

Anyway, what do you all think? Wait for the Troopy eventually or do this one?

Here's a picture of it:

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 55

MOAK

Adventurer
That’s a tough one. However, the troopy is the dream vehicle for overlanding. I prefer wagons over pickups. 45s are really rare, then again so are troopys here in NMerica. Me? I’d hold out for a LH troopy.

Strider

Observer
That’s a tough one. However, the troopy is the dream vehicle for overlanding. I prefer wagons over pickups. 45s are really rare, then again so are troopys here in NMerica. Me? I’d hold out for a LH troopy.

I agree about the Troopy, but isn't that due to the rear area? Wouldn't a similar built area in th back of the pickup be the same? Seems the pickup would allow for even more space.

These seem like great options for overlanding. What's your opinion for still preferring the Troopy?
LC1561982.jpg

Attachments

• LCab517fdea2e9bd975756f157506e4ff1.jpg
    LCab517fdea2e9bd975756f157506e4ff1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8

Strider

Observer
I’d love a 45 but not so much for actual travel, more for around the ranch and around town. I too would hold out for the Troopy.

Why? Is the ride bad? I wouldn't be keeping it in pickup mode. I would be converting it into a camper, thus having a whole enclosed area in the back.

How is the Troopy better?

I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

Strider

Observer
I’d love a 45 but not so much for actual travel, more for around the ranch and around town. I too would hold out for the Troopy.

Thanks for your input. Just wondering why do you say the above. Is the ride bad compared to the Troopy?
I would be converting it into a camper, not leaving it as a pickup.

Thanks.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
A Troopy would be secure to the environment (dust/water intrusion), a flip pac style topper never would unless you do a full on slide in style camper like a FWC. The troopy allows for direct access to the rear from inside meaning you don’t have to depart the cabin to get to your sleeping area, etc. No need for an expensive additional camper/topper purchase and even if you decided to do a flip-up or expanded roof you still wouldn’t give up your environmental seal and the cost versus a slide-in camper would be much less. Troopy has a much higher resale and overall demand on the market as well.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I wouldn’t do if I couldn’t pay cash plus have money to convert it to the camper you want. I love the fj45 but would use it like Tex suggested. If I wanted a truck camper on a budget I get a ford or Ram 3/4 work truck model, they’ll both be much better platforms.

Strider

Observer
OK
Some very good points here. Thank you!

I have, however, decided to get it. He made me a good offer, included a 12,000 pound winch and mounting plate, and I will make payments to him, so no loan, interest, etc. He's a very good friend-like a brother, so no worries.
I can go pick it up right now, but it's a hell of a drive from Key Largo, Florida, to Show Low, Arizona! I will likely go get it during Spring Break and document the whole adventure in photography and video.

It's actually a BJ55, so it's diesel, no turbo. Yeah, it's slow, but so what! I prefer taking back roads and my time.

I know it needs two things: power steering and an overdrive, but that can come later.
As far as the rear "box", I will likely make this myself, as I can weld, have a welder, and also already have pretty much enough steel tubing (1x2x1/16) to make the box frame. It will be skinned with a honeycomb fiberglass material for weight. Maybe I will even drill 1" holes on the 2" side to reduce weight even more-though not sure if that will make any real difference.

Need to look at suspension eventually: Old Man Emu/BP51s, Terrain Tamer? Not sure. Tires will eventually be pizza cutters.

I will convert the rear window into a hatch to go in and out of the box-at least in an emergency or bad weather. Another option is to cut a doorway where the rear window is, but don't think I want to do something that drastic and permanent.

Yes, a troopy would be awesome-it's my favorite, but this one is at a great price and easy to pay for it. If I get dibs on a troopy in the future, maybe I will then have two LCs, who knows. But I really like this truck and think I can make it a great traveling/overlanding rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior