Picked Up the New Isuzu NPS 300

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
Well I picked up my New Isuzu NPS 300 a couple of weeks ago so now the New Project starts.

NewTruck001.jpg

NewTruck002.jpg

I will keep you posted on the progress of the mods.

1,First Will be the Extra Std Fuel Tank
2,Fitting the ATW Tray Mounts and building Flat Tray
3,4.5 Ton Tow Bar
4,ATW 19.5" wheels with Toyo 608Z's
etc etc

Cheers Ozzyfishaman

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
NewTruck001.jpg

Very nice John. Did you ask for the chrome grill? I haven't seen that on an NPS before, only the NQR's.

Also the second standard tank is a good move. I sent you a PM about a suggestion for a transfer valve but I just wanted to add that the fuel tank on the new model is so much better than the Tokyo Radiator tank from the old model.

The old one was exactly the same as tank as the FG BTW >> long, skinny and round but with the new square shaped tank, you end up with (IIRC) 145litres ( so a fair bit more) and they are about a foot shorter than the old cylindrical one. This means you'll have that much more room for bins or storage under the tray. Hey and they come with massive lockable fillers too that are actually at the top of the tank but still easy to get at. With the old ones on a tray , if the tray was too low most people would roll the round tank so the filler was out to the side more so you could get the nozzle in at the servo. You ended up loosing alot of volume cause the filler ended up down quite a bit from the top.

Range should be awesome on yours too with the second tank . Fuel consumption on those things is supposed to be really good. I just put a 1000k's on one testing and it used more than I thought it would but alot of it was slow going and at 6ton GVM. One of our customers is claiming really exceptional figures. Let us know what you end up getting when you get the 19.5's on. Very keen to hear.

whatcharterboat

Hey I should have said that the Isuzu optional reverse cameras are really cool too. Didn't know if you've looked at them or not when you were at the dealers. Might be handy for backing on to you boat trailer. Plug straight into the back of the multimedia unit. I think it can take up to 3 of them and you can have them arranged in any combination on the touchscreen. Split screen, reverse priority, etc.

Anyway looks great. I'm really jealous.

John.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Hey I should have said that the Isuzu optional reverse cameras are really cool too. Didn't know if you've looked at them or not when you were at the dealers. Might be handy for backing on to you boat trailer. Plug straight into the back of the multimedia unit. I think it can take up to 3 of them and you can have them arranged in any combination on the touchscreen. Split screen, reverse priority, etc.

Anyway looks great. I'm really jealous.

John.

Wish that setup was available for the FG. I installed my own video BU setup which was a real pain. The only exposed piece of video cable became a play thing for some squirrels or some other pesky rodent. Back to the drawing board. I wonder if I could retro-fit an Isuzu multimedia unit in the '04 FG? Anyone looked at that?
Nice looking truck. Will be following your build.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Wish that setup was available for the FG. I installed my own video BU setup which was a real pain. The only exposed piece of video cable became a play thing for some squirrels or some other pesky rodent. Back to the drawing board. I wonder if I could retro-fit an Isuzu multimedia unit in the '04 FG? Anyone looked at that?
Nice looking truck. Will be following your build.

Aren't there some pretty inexpensive wireless back up cameras available nowadays?

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Aren't there some pretty inexpensive wireless back up cameras available nowadays?

Yes there are. When I installed mine they where hard wired. The wireless can pick up interference from cell phones and other wireless devices according to the literature that comes with them. Guess I am somewhat of a Luddite, have an bag phone in the FG, still have a hardwired phone at the house and hardly ever use a cell phone.
Off topic: anyone watching the F1 race?

whatcharterboat

I installed my own video BU setup which was a real pain. The only exposed piece of video cable became a play thing for some squirrels or some other pesky rodent.

Lol. Geez, you always crack me up Bruce.

I wonder if I could retro-fit an Isuzu multimedia unit in the '04 FG? Anyone looked at that?

Nah, the Isuzu is 24volt. Plenty of aftermarket units available that have similar features, incar phone, nav, camera, movies, USB input etc, etc, but the reverse camera feature on the Isuzu is better than anything else I've seen. Just the way it utilizes the touchscreen if you have multiple cameras.

Hey a lot of people here think multiple cameras are a waste of time with dust here but I find them handy especially when towing>one camera looking over the boat and another aimed at the towball. Just 50cents.

The wireless can pick up interference from cell phones and other wireless devices according to the literature that comes with them.

A friend had a wireless camera system on his RV. When he drove past the shopping centre he would get the security camera in aisle 3. Lol. True story.

Sorry for going OT John. I'll try and confine any other "FG v NPS" comments to that thread and kee this one clear for you buildup. We're all very keen to see what you end up with.

John one more tip I thought of today was regarding the exhaust> i was looking at a new model NPS today that is now about 14months old or maybe a little more. As you can appreciate it, the exhaust system on them is a work of art and expensive looking to say the least. This type of system is one of the main things that is worrying the Fraser Island tour bus operators about the coming models next year. Anything that gets hot ie the exhaust and any area it even comes close too it will corrode at an extraordinary rate when hit with salt water.

No doubt you'll be doing your fair share of beach driving as I do here only the exhaust on my little subaru would be about 1/10 of the cost of your system. The one I saw today was looking very ordinary especially around the DPD. It had done a couple of beach trips and still had quite a lot of life left in it but was certainly nothing like the shiny pipework sitting in your driveway. On my beach car I keep the exhaust painted with VHT Exhaust Paint and it stays as good as. Just a thought and if it saves you a replacement in the time you have it, well it will be worth it for a couple of cans of spray paint. My 2 cents.

The tuned exhaust on the new NPS is critical to the engine management system so don't think that a trip to the local exhaust shop will be all it needs when the time comes. One truck builder I know of here changed the last section of the pipe to suit the body work and the computer just went into "limp home" mode. Don't change it, extend it, shorten it, remove that cute little muffler at the end, etc.

Regards John.

haven

Expedition Leader
The NPS 250 and NPS 300 are Isuzu's medium duty 4x4 trucks.
These are not imported to USA. The models we see in this weight
range are the NPR and NQR, rear wheel drive only.

whatcharterboat

is this isuzu a 4x4?

Hey Alan. Any Isuzu with an S at the end of the model prefix is a 4x4. Eg. NPS, FSS, FTS. etc. As opposed to an R for the 2wd. Google "N-series Isuzu trucks" or "F-series" if you want to be really confused like me.

Hey , got a bet on the Cup?

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
NewTruck001.jpg

Very nice John. Did you ask for the chrome grill? I haven't seen that on an NPS before, only the NQR's.

Also the second standard tank is a good move. I sent you a PM about a suggestion for a transfer valve but I just wanted to add that the fuel tank on the new model is so much better than the Tokyo Radiator tank from the old model.
Hi John,I ordered the Chrome Grille Seperately,looks good I reckon,I bought it at the same time as the Extra Tank,2 x Camera Extension leads,the loom and the Camera.
So far I have fitted the Flat Tray Sprung Brackets,Extra Tank,Tow bar,wired up the Cameras and tow bar plug with a step down invertor. With the fuel tank I fitted an On / On panel switch on the Dash to read the tanks,and what I did was use two 3 way ball valves so I can do a manual tank changeover.
I have also fitted the Super Singles:)

kerry

Expedition Leader
Hi John,I ordered the Chrome Grille Seperately,looks good I reckon,I bought it at the same time as the Extra Tank,2 x Camera Extension leads,the loom and the Camera.
So far I have fitted the Flat Tray Sprung Brackets,Extra Tank,Tow bar,wired up the Cameras and tow bar plug with a step down invertor. With the fuel tank I fitted an On / On panel switch on the Dash to read the tanks,and what I did was use two 3 way ball valves so I can do a manual tank changeover.
I have also fitted the Super Singles:)

Got any pictuers of the flat try sprung brackets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles